Summary of last night

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Oakweller, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Oakweller

Oakweller Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Morning all,

I thought I'd share some of the QnAs from last night as not all of them have been posted on the BBS yet. Its worth pointing out that I was at the back and I am a little deaf, but I think I got the gist of it all!!

-> What's happening with Hoskins?
    He picked up an injury prior to the Hull game and has since been recovering at home. If he gets fit Wilson may have a look at him again but for no we are moving onto other targets.

-> Why is Hemmings on a 1 yr contract?
    Hemmings suffered a injury a few seasons ago that kept him out for some time, due to this the club didn't want to risk signing him up for more than 1 year and potentially end up paying wages for a long period should the same injury reoccur. Danny fully expects to sit Hemmings down at some stage and discuss a longer contract with him. The injury Hemmings has at the moment is not the same injury he picked up a few years ago. His current injury was caused by a training accident 3/4 weeks ago where he collided with another player and hurt his ankle. He was ruled out for 4 weeks and so he is expected to start training again very soon.

-> Transfer delay explained
    Ben explained that when the club were relegated they were expecting offers to come in quickly for some of the contracted players and they were expecting those players to agree deals early (example: O'Grady/Charlton). This is why the ST letter mentioned signing players early. Unfortunately because the contracted players did not move on quickly it meant the club could not sign all the players they were targeting early on. As soon as those contracted players started to move it freed up wages and allowed the club to start signing their targets.

-> Wage cap explained further
    Ben explained that relegated teams coming down from the Championship were allowed to spend 75% of their earnings on wages, this rule is in place to allow the relegated teams to carry some of the championship wages into L1. All other teams in L1 are only allowed to spend 60%. He also said players aged 21 or younger are exempt from this rule (can someone confirm it was 21? it might have been 20). Despite this being 75% we still had to move players on in order to meet this criteria. The 75% is no just wages alone, it also includes bonuses and relocation fees. All the players we have signed are on sustainable wages.

-> Lessons Learned
    Danny said the club made mistakes with some of the transfers/loans last season, this was down to not doing enough background checks on players and relying on recormendations. He didn't say which players.

-> How many more signings does Wilson have in mind?
    Wilson said this can change on any given day and gave the example of young left back George Smith breaking his toe this week and so the club then signed Joe Dudgeon as cover.
    Wilson said he wants another striker and something on the right side (presumably a right winger).
    They are working on two deals at the moment, one that will have a wow factor, they had a good feeling about both deals and it looks promising that they'll come off, hopefully before the season starts.

-> Big praise for Ben
    Danny complimented Ben saying without him the club would not have been able to sign the players they had and that Ben was a big part of the team. Ben "always has his ear to the ground". Danny spoke about Ben for a while. This was followed by lots of clapping and a red faced Ben saying "I knew my Mum should have come tonight" :)

-> What's happening with Craine?
    Playing this by ear, if he asks to play in a higher league he can go, but he hasn't and so he is staying. I got the impression the club do not need to sell him and can afford to keep him, but Ben/Danny did not say that. Ben said he expects Craine to be one of the best, if not the best, CB in the league this season.

-> Top 6 finish.
    Danny said "I'll stick my neck out and say I expect us to be finishing in the top 6".

-> How will Away tickets be distributed
    Should we sell out our away allotment Ben will be pushing clubs to release more seats to us, which he expects to get due to the away team's home tickets not selling out and all teams in L1 wanting to make as much money as possible.

-> Will more young players like Abbott be offered longer contracts
    Yes. Ben said the club will protect their young assists. Jack Cowgill is being offered a new contract, he is 17 and Danny expects him to play a few games this season, Ben explained any 17yr old that players games will instantly draw attention from scouts and so the club has already offered him a longer contract. Jack was in tears when he was informed of the contract offer. Ben said it is reality refreshing to see players react that way.

Ben also said the perm promotion team under Danny and the L1 promotion team under Richie both consisted of players from the Barnsley area and they believe part of those teams success is down to that.

-> How long is Danny's contract and if Wednesday came knocking again would be do the same?
    Lots of laughter. Danny said his contract is irrelevant, basically said managers come and go based on results not when their contracts end. He said he could still be managing here in 10 years time. Regarding wednesday, he said "we all make mistakes" :)

-> What did Danny think of the Man U reserves?
    Joked that he was signing 3 of them. Said they were a very good team and that Man U set the benchmark for what everyone is aiming for. He said the LB who was 17/18 had just been bought by Man U for 2.5m and this showed how good of a quality they were. He said a lot of our players, young and old, could learn from them.

Danny also said all 4 friendlies have been very difficult so far. He mentioned at the start that the Torino side were top class.

-> Infrastructure improvements
    Ben said apart from the new ST cards there are no other changes. Ben is on a number of council committees and discussions are ongoing about better linking the football ground to the Town Centre/Metrodome. Mentioned lack of pubs between the town and the ground. Made a joke that no one had mentioned the scoreboard yet and said they will keep looking at it but nothing is planned for now.

The contrast with the club shop company and match day catering company will both end in the next 2 years. 1 will end in 12 months (can't remember which). Ben will be looking into these aspects being run by the club in the future. Ben explained with the new ST cards a loyalty system could be setup to allow discounts, this would work on a points system, as an example he said 100 points for buying a ST, 20 pts for buying a shirt. Ben said the current contract with the club shop allows the shop company to determine which firm produces the shirt. Without this contract the club could choose a firm on their own. Ben hopes the club can make more revenue once those contracts end.

-> Why have some match day tickets gone up in price?
    Ben explained the reason for this was to balance out the reduction for family section tickets.

Stupendous Man likes this.
  2. pin

pingiskola Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    thanks for that, fantastic summary!

3. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Brilliant, cheers pal

4. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Excellent and accurate summary, mate.

5. RC_

RC_tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good read, much appreciated

6. Ayl

Aylott Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks. Couldn't get last night so the summary is excellent.

7. tho

thomasevans Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re:Refreshingly open and honest approach by the club

I have been reading a book about the best football managers and a key part is to involve all stakeholders in the club's situation. You can't be much more open than Danny was in the meeting, by the account and that is the way I have always thought of him. He has sound judgement; is not swayed by sudden success, nor by the set-back of failure; is a good judge of a player, both in terms of individual skill and in terms of team-mentality; has a clear view of what is good in both short and long term. I really hope these qualities bring the results they deserve.

Good report - thank you!

8. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Great summary, cheers mate.

Sounds like we're going about things the right way - really positive.

9. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for that but did he say Bobby turned down a contract because he wasn't guaranteed first team football , as was claimed last night

10. Oakweller

Style:
    Barnsley
    He didn't use the words "turned down". Danny said Bobby wanted to play more offten and Danny couldn't promise him that, so that was that. Danny gave Bobby a lot of praise, saying he had done a great job while at the club and Danny expects Bobby to return to the club in some role in the future, but Bobby is looking to play football at the moment. He also said it was one of many difficult decisions he had to make during close season.

11. 'thereev'

'thereev' Banned Idiot

Company Director
    and Jason said that he would pick up more Barnsley accent if he is still here (dispute on how he said it) but he said it in some form (just to clarify the wording situation)

hth

12. Goo

Googs Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I loved that too, but I'm sure he also said something along the lines of 'once bitten, twice shy'. He doesn't half come across well in these Q&A sessions.

13. Oakweller

Style:
    Barnsley
    Yep he said just that :)

I agree Danny was brilliant last night, I think all 4 came across well to be honest. All questions answered including the difficult ones.

14. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He did say that as well yes. Glad my question went down well.. haha.

15. Goo

Googs Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was you that asked mate? Brilliant question and very well put :D

16. Oakweller

Style:
    Barnsley
    Great question, had me in stitches :biggrin:

17. Zemaj

Zemaj Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Fantastic post. Cheers

18. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cheers

19. WorsbroughRed

WorsbroughRed Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cheers for that mate. Couldn't make it so really appreciate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know somebody who would beg to differ. The question is who do we believe? There's only one way to sort this out... :D