Anyone else noticed the kick-off times are all at 7-mins past the hour on 12th April?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by MonkeyRed, Mar 29, 2014.

1. MonkeyRed

MonkeyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    All UK games are kicking off at 7 minutes past the usual time on the 12th, so ours at Bolton is 15:07, and the late kick-off involving Arsenal is at 17:07.

Did a bit of digging and apparently it's a Hillsborough disaster tribute. It's the 25th anniversary of the game, which was abandoned in the 7th minute. Went under the radar without much fanfare that one.

2. barnsley66

barnsley66 Well-Known Member

Learner Support Assistant/Happy Clapper
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was on the official site

Can't post a link but it's in the news section

3. MonkeyRed

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: It was on the official site

Fair enough, tells you how much I visit our official site!

4. woolley mammoth

woolley mammoth Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: Anyone else noticed the kick-off times are all at 7-mins past the hour on 12th Ap

Bit weird as I noticed about 10 mins ago as I was looking at fixtures so had a little dig around to find out why!

5. MonkeyRed

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: Anyone else noticed the kick-off times are all at 7-mins past the hour on 12th Ap

I only found out via the bizarre source of an Oxford United forum, and after a lot of googling. Sure there'll be more publicity/memorials in the run up to the anniversary.

6. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I've known this for a while, can't remember where I saw it though! Suspect it was on the Barnsley site.

7. funnyfella23

funnyfella23 Well-Known Member

Civil Servant
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Was all over BBC website first

8. Glo

GloucesterRedsBigBro Well-Known Member

Retired Bus Driver
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

gives certain fans an extra 7 mins drinking time

9. funnyfella23

funnyfella23 Well-Known Member

Civil Servant
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I think a few thought that

10. ads

adsbfc Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Heard about this last week, think it was on SSN. Only a brief mention of it though.

11. jptykes

jptykes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

It'll be better publicised in the week running up to the matches I would think. It won't be allowed to slip under the radar, too big an issue to allow that to happen.

12. Jos

Joshwain Member

Marketing
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Good job we aren't at home then, 3:07 would end up being 3:15

13. blivy

blivy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I noticed it on the BBC website, just assumed it was a mistake.
    Slipped under the radar, that one.

14. arabian_ian

arabian_ian Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

25 Years Ago. Scary how time flies.

Hope there is to be some sort of remembrance to this tragic event. The 7 minute late start is a good thought.

15. Cal

CalgaryTyke New Member

Home Page:

That's fantastic. That day 25 years ago is one I will remember for the rest of my life. Still makes me emotional whenever I think about it. I remember where I was (I wasn't at Oakwell that day as I was revising for my final exams at Uni), I remember trying to find out about a friend who was in the Liverpool end (in the days before mobiles) and then remember hearing the bits of information as it came out. Truly tragic day. Hard to believe it is 25 years.

16. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley

I would imagine a lot of us who were old enough were at the Birmingham home game at the time of the Hillsborough disaster. I don't remember a thing about the game, it ended 0-0, just the news coming in from down the road. No one had mobile phones back then of course, but plenty of fans took small transistor radios to games, so we all knew something was happening, as those tuned in relayed the news to the rest of the crowd. At first it was reported as crowd trouble, then the news started filtering through that people had been hurt. It became apparent it was extremely serious when a call came over the Tannoy that any doctors and medical staff in the crowd were urgently required. Soon enough the news of fatalities was being reported.

The news and Match of the Day that night were as harrowing as any natural disaster you may have witnessed. I would imagine a number of Barnsley fans were thinking back to the 3-3 draw away at Stoke in the cup earlier in the season when the crush outside the ground literally lifted you off your feet and sucked the air out of your lungs. Scary at the time but I guess we thought they knew what they were doing. They didn't, they didn't have a ******* clue. A couple of days later the cover up started in the press, which we've all discussed on here in great detail.

You'd think everything would be different after that, that things would fundamentally change. Eventually we got the Taylor Report and a move to all seater stadium, but in the short term things pretty much carried on as normal, almost as though nothing had happened. Liverpool beat Forest in the replay and won the Cup with a victory over Everton in the final. Remembered as much now for the two goals by both Ian Rush and Stuart McCall as it is for being the Hillsborough final. Outside Liverpool at any rate. In the 1st division Arsenal won the title in that dramatic 2-0 victory at Anfield. That Michael Thomas goal was just a month or so after the disaster. You'll probably have seen the footage a hundred times over the years and you wouldn't know. It's difficult to put those two events together, but really there was no time between them at all.

For our part, we won 5 of our remaining 6 fixtures after Hillsborough and finished the season in 7th place, 2 points outside the play-offs. The very next weekend we were away at Man City. Steve Agnew cracked in a 30 yarder that cannoned off the woodwork, hit Paul Cooper on the back of the head and bounced in to City's goal. We won the game 2-1 and I celebrated the victory as much as any before or since. On the final day of the season thousands of us in party mood, many in fancy dress with a fair collection of inflatables, took over Walsall's ground and cheered the team on to a 3-1 victory. It seems surreal to me, thinking back, that we did that. Obviously the world doesn't stop, things have to carry on, but for all my talk, for all the words I've written about Hillsborough over the years, on here, at Uni in both essays and a radio play and at Yorkshire Television, my behaviour after the disaster, like the rest of the football world, didn't change at all. I don't know what to think about that.

17. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

A couple of other points about that horrible day with regards to the Barnsley game.
    The 0-0 draw meant Birmingham City were relegated, but no one seemed to care. The news filtering through that people had died whilst simply attending a football match put everything else into it's true perspective.
    That was the day when Allan Clarke, because of his feud with the Chronicle & Keith Lodge, had no comments published in the matchday programme. As well as being the sports editor for the Chronicle, Lodge was also responsible for putting together the manager's notes for the programme. It was, at best, a cringeworthy situation between two adults, exacerbated into breathtakingly childishness when compared to unfolding events just a few miles down the road.

18. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

That's the irony of it all.

19. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley

To this day, I didn't know that.

20. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

There's no beginning to my footballing knowledge & intellect.