What Does The Everton Game Mean, Going Forward?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by orsenkaht, Aug 28, 2015.

1. orsenkaht

orsenkaht Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    On Wednesday night, and all day yesterday, I couldn’t get the Everton game out of my head. This wasn’t ‘plucky Barnsley’ (and some of the press trotted that one out), but a carefully assembled and very talented team who matched their ability with the maximum effort they had it in them to give. The team shape gelled, and we gave a club in the top eight or so nationally a terrific contest. Two hours of game time just flew by. And thinking about the richly deserved standing ovation for our lads in the final minute is giving me goose bumps like no other game since that legendary day on 26 April 1997.

The challenge now for Lee and his team will be to generate that level of commitment and application to our league fixtures, whoever we are playing. I’ve seen it said that League One teams wouldn’t allow us to play like that, and would play more defensively and also be more physical than Everton. I can understand that point of view, but to be honest, I can see no reason why a reproduction of the performance served up on Wednesday evening wouldn’t overcome any team in this league. How realistic it is to expect such a peak performance in every game – time will tell. But I know this much – win, lose or draw it doesn’t matter. To play like that is all most Barnsley fans want. Heroic failure in those circumstances will be readily accepted – as the crowd reaction on Wednesday night demonstrated.

Patrick Cryne seems heavily committed to the approach which Lee Johnson has so skilfully adopted. And I think that’s right, because to be honest, if this doesn’t work, it’s difficult to see what will. Lee wasn’t on my radar when Danny left, and we had some bigger profile names supposedly in the frame. But the utmost credit must go to Patrick, Ben and whoever else was involved in spotting the potential of this brilliant and personable young manager. The derailing of Mark Robins’ plans and the ‘austerity’ period of Keith Hill were wrong turns in my view, with a decline in playing fortunes matched by a downwards spiral in revenues. But a ‘balancing the books’ approach allied to a clear plan for future growth now looks much more hopeful. And I strongly suspect that much of the work in achieving that is down to Ben Mansford behind the scenes.

I’m not, and never have been a ‘happy clapper’ – I’d be more of a critical friend. But I haven’t been as hopeful for the mid to long term future of the club for a long, long time. The three most important things we need now are patience, patience and patience. COYR!

2. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not too much wrong with happy clappers. Some still have a constructive approach in highlighting where improvements can be made. We also have a more challenging group of fans that criticise, without reason or evidence almost anything. Its when this comes destructive that its wrong. What we need is for all parties to be supportive, of course challenge the club but positively, challenge each other as fans to support and be loud. To get there we have to show more patience and trust in the custodians of our club and team. I trust them and if that makes me a happy clapper, then thats ok for me. I buy into the approach LJ is taking and how the club management are aligned to making it happen. The risk is that having a young team, we won't have the Everton performances week in week out, we won't have a strong squad rotation that wins every game and we won't have the funds to pay double our wage bill and transfer fees a la Bristol City. What we do have is a passionate fan base that could if directed in the right way can support these kids and their bosses to succeed over the long haul. Over season we can win something. We can win in style and outplay teams with attacking football, but as we improve other teams will counter our way of playing. We will have to grind our results too.

I fully agree and support the last line of your post. Patience is the key and if we now ask for management to back our manager for a longer term, then so must we as fans. Yew Reds

3. Dr Zazlos

Dr Zazlos Banned Idiot

L&T Transport LGV/PCV Instructor
    Yew right Mr Icer!
    More of an Oak man myself

4. Joh

Johnny the tyke Well-Known Member

Beer Baron
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It means we are out of the league cup!

But seriously nothing but positives regarding performance. Work rate, Team play and creativity. Winnall, Crowley and Watkins all off the mark scoring first goals of the season. Lets kick on from here.

5. Dr Zazlos

Dr Zazlos Banned Idiot

L&T Transport LGV/PCV Instructor
    Ditto

6. RichK

RichK Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Spot on orsen.

7. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Didn't Winnall's headed goal at Millwall count?

8. Dod

Dodgy Back Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ^^^^^ exactly what the op said! Bang on!