26 April 1997

Discussion in 'Barnsley FC Memories' started by imported_Gally, Aug 12, 2005.

1. imp

imported_Gally New Member

Home Page:
    <font size="-1"><p align="center">[​IMG]</p><p align="center">The date is 26 April 1997, and Barnsley need victory against Bradford City at Oakwell to secure promotion to the Premiership for the first time in their history. Reds fans make their way to the ground in anticipation.</p><center class="image_gallery_caption"><table cols="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td valign="top">

</td></tr></tbody></table></center><center>[​IMG]
    </center><center class="imageGalleryBody"><center><font size="2">The match gets under way - Barnsley forward Paul Wilkinson gets to the ball ahead of Bradford's Nicky Mohan</font></center><center>[​IMG]</center></center><center>[​IMG]</center><div class="image_gallery_caption" align="center"><font size="-1">Reds striker Clint Marcelle powers forward.</font></div><font size="-1"><div class="image_gallery_caption" align="center">
    </div><center class="imageGalleryBody"><center>[​IMG]</center><center>Twenty-one minutes into the game - and Wilkinson strikes to put the Reds one up. The striker milks the adoration of the Oakwell faithful.</center><center>
    <div class="imageGalleryBody"><center><center>[​IMG]</center></center><div class="image_gallery_caption"><font size="-1">Wilkinson is congratulated by a delighted Neil Redfearn.</font></div><div class="image_gallery_caption">
    <div class="imageGalleryBody"><center><center>[​IMG]</center></center><div class="image_gallery_caption"><font size="-1">Clint Marcelle clinches promotion with a second goal three minutes from time - and the home fans can celebrate at last.</font></div><div class="image_gallery_caption">
    <div class="imageGalleryBody"><center><center>[​IMG]</center></center><div class="image_gallery_caption"><font size="-1">John Hendrie is carried aloft by the delirious Barnsley supporters.</font></div><div class="image_gallery_caption"></div><div class="image_gallery_caption" align="center">[​IMG][​IMG]</div><div class="image_gallery_caption">

</div><div class="image_gallery_caption">[​IMG]</div><div class="image_gallery_caption" align="center">[​IMG]
    [​IMG]</div><div class="image_gallery_caption" align="center">[​IMG]</div><div class="image_gallery_caption"></div><div class="image_gallery_caption">
    <div class="imageGalleryBody"><center><center>[​IMG]</center></center><div class="image_gallery_caption"><font size="-1">Manager Danny Wilson basks in the glow of success.</font></div><div class="image_gallery_caption"></div></div></div><div class="image_gallery_caption"></div></div></div></div></div></div></center></center><center> </center><center><table cols="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td><p align="center">[​IMG]</p></td><td></td></tr></tbody></table></center></font></font>

2. Ali

Alityke Active Member

Home Page:
    You were sat near me n the Rugrats

3. imp

imported_Gally New Member

Home Page:
    Actually that's not my ticket..

I just rounded up a few images of the day off t'internet. I was sat in the West Stand Upper that day.

4. M1 Tyke

M1 Tyke New Member

The only Tory in the village
    Somewhere between Dirty Leeds and That London
    Home Page:
    One thing that really annoyed me....

is that i had to give in my ticket for that holiest of matches to get my season ticket the following year!!

I remember trading Portsmouth and Wimbledon away tickets for swaps to make sure I got a higher category in the queue for Season tickets that year!!

5. Gue

Guest Guest

One of the best days as a Reds Fan, I used to work for the stewarding firm at Oakwell and remember being in the West Stand at the back of the Directors Box looking after the Press and The Old Guy who is our oldest supporter, what a day atmosphere even John Dennis was smiling, probably thinking how he could spend the millions on his new fleet of lorries, I started panicing when it came so close to not going up, got talking to the Daily Telegraph reporter about things he asked me how long Id supported the Reds and what it would mean if we went up, I told him that I didnt think we were going to do it then turned round just as Clint ran through on goal to get the most important goal in our history, the reporter said to me "Dont worry mate now you are there". When the Final Whistle went I didnt care about being a Steward and just celebrated like never before, tears, emotions you name it it was there. After the match when Danny(and it hurts to say that but he did take us there I suppose) came into the box, I was there looking after the players, and everybody, What a Day!!! hopefully we will go through it again someday but this time Ill be a London Tyke and party til I drop again.......

Once a Red always a Red

6. Gue

Guest Guest

What a day