Car Park Watch

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Gally, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Looks like the new car park system and staffing has improved the situation greatly and made it easier/safer to get out judging by what I saw while we packed up in Redfearn's last night.

2. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There were still plenty trying to get out down by the burger van at full time. One bloke in particular was having a right whinge at the lady stopping people getting out

3. barnsley66

barnsley66 Well-Known Member

Learner Support Assistant/Happy Clapper
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It didn't Paul.

It looked like Newcastle fans were allowed to come down Grove St. causing a big tailback for cars wanting to leave the car park and turn towards Barnsley. I thought the idea was to limit the traffic on Grove St.

4. Gally

Gally Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    No the gate at the bottom of the away car park was shut. I know because I ended up in there as I was late due to the traffic and the main carpark was shut. Didn't get out of the awya car park until 10.40 or something. :(

5. cam

cambstyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep, the new system was very good I thought.

6. barnsley66

barnsley66 Well-Known Member

Learner Support Assistant/Happy Clapper
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There was a steady stream of cars going down Grove St. and it queued back to the ground. It held traffic up coming out of the bottom right hand gate. I left by the gate going to Lundwood which cleared.

I'd query where all those cars came from. If they didn't come from the away car park, they must have allowed cars leaving from the South Stand car park to turn down Grove St.

7. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Plenty of street parking off Grove St so they probably came from there rather than a car park

8. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    It's an excellent new system and far safer than the old free for all.

One thing I can't understand though. Why would someone park in there knowing that they will be delayed on leaving, then complain about being delayed on leaving?

9. She

Sheriff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There were two stewards at the top gate (gate C) stopping anyone turning left down into Grove Street, so they weren't coming from there.

Not sure how the bottom two gates were last night (they were a disaster area on Saturday) as I opted for the gate C exit. I don't need to get out quickly so can wait for it to be opened. Worked fine in that respect.

On Saturday I parked in the area designed for the gate A exit onto Pontefract Road (the middle section as the far side was full when I arrived) and it was a completely different story. The stewards were parking gate A and B exiters in the same row and after waiting an eternity for anything to move once the gates opened I realised there was no chance of getting across as there were two lanes of cars trying to turn right to gate B on my left. In the end I reversed back and ended up leaving by gate C, which by that time was pretty much clear.

Last night might have been better at the lower end of the car park (would be interested to hear more from those who parked there), but wouldn't be in a rush to try a gate A exit anytime soon based on my initial experience.

10. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think what was happening with Grove Street was a combination of street parkers leaving, but several cars that left the car park did turn right as required, but went up Grasmere Road and then down Coniston Road back onto Grove Street further down from where the stewards were stood. I dare say that with the number of vehicles leaving the visitors parking area, quite a few vehicles would have sought alternative routes out.

I think opening gate C is really all that's having any sort of impact. I can't see the logic of specific parking areas myself, especially when visitors can park in there too, and drivers who are waiting will always be liable to go for a different exit. I've not got out of the car park any quicker on either Saturday or last night. I always wait and leave when the car park is pretty much clear, and that's not been noticeably quicker in my opinion.

I am sure pedestrian exit has been safer and can't dismiss that at all.

11. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Pedestrian exit down by the burger van is now a lot better. Every game without fail I found myself having a go at drivers trying to get out and giving no way to anyone. Almost always mount the kerb to cut the corner and get out down ponte road

12. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with that. Nice walk down the far left where cars don't park by the metal fencing beside the flats and even had a power generator working so the car park had some lighting. The new system is much better and safer and it's great to see. More feedback the club get the more they can look to maybe tweak things so it works even better.

13. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is all well and good but when is the club going to sign some kids on loan on 50k a week?

14. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've never understood why people are so insistent on turning in a particular direction. It's Barnsley not the City of London. If you have to turn right instead of left (or vice versa) it isn't a disaster. You can easily get to where you want to go with a bit of a detour.

15. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Felt a lot safer crossing Pontefract road towards Oakwell lane last night.
    One observation though ,usually with a large crowd as yesterday car park is normally almost full but coming out yesterday there seemed plenty of spaces that hadn't been taken up.

16. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we could just get some florescent paint on those bollards as promised we'd be laughing. Couple of kids leaving at the same time as me couldn't stop laughing that one of them had 'banged their balls on a bollard' for a good ten minutes. As much as I enjoyed the alliteration it does show that people are still walking into them as they are practically invisible in the crowd, especially on an evening.

17. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm tempted to buy some paint and go down and paint the buggers myself when nobody's around