Majority report Brentford

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by ryhilltyke, Oct 22, 2016.

1. ryhilltyke

ryhilltyke Well-Known Member

Construction Worker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Get the **** in. Hecky is our king.
    Now get back in your moaning **** houses.

2. She

Shepley Red Well-Known Member

Building Surveyor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Calm down dear....

3. Hud

Huddersfield Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
  4. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If this is a dig, I could not be more pleased with the win. COTR

5. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Red Rain - A better dig would have been to ask you where the next win is going to come from.
    Keep the faith in this manager.

6. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I am keeping faith in this manager. I have never said anything other than that I am happy with him.

Because my Minority Reports are written from the standpoint of systems and organisation, people seem to assume that I and something other than a fan. I am not. I know no more about the game than the next fan, but I prefer not to attack individual players when I get frustrated, as many on here do. I take out my frustrations by looking at tactics. I prefer to use logic rather than statistics. I do not like to turn on players who I once praised because either they have lost form or the system does not suit their strengths. Just because I question the tactics that we are using, it does not mean that I am questioning the manager. After all, he knows far more about the game than I, or any other contributor to this forum. The forum is a way that we air our doubts and concerns as form and results reflect our joys and frustrations. And that is all that it is.

I comment only on what I have seen and I comment as honestly as I can. I am very surprised that we won today, especially with the team that played. Nevertheless, I am delighted with the outcome, as any true fan would be.

7. 55&counting

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know all that for goodness' sake.
    I was just rather surprised that, after the Flum game, you actually stated that you didn't know where the next win was going to come from on the basis that we religiously stick to 442 as our match to match formation. In my opinion playing 442 is fine. It's having the options to change the formation within a game which is important, and I'm damned sure PH knows that too.

8. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's a bit harsh mate Red Rain has his own views on things but has never questioned Hecky. I enjoy reading his different views even if I don't agree with them.

9. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I did not go to the game so I do not want to comment too much, but Adam Hammill was left out today so the dynamic of the 4-4-2 system will have changed. I rely on those who went to the game to relate exactly how the system changed, but it simply could not have been the same as the Fulham game. If you did not think that we were badly beaten in that game, then you did not attend. If you do not think that we should have dealt with Scott Parker differently, then I cannot agree with your analysis. But it is football, and I accept that we all have our own opinions.

10. 55&counting

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not meaning to upset anyone. I really enjoy reading his views. I also like the debate he provokes.

11. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    But you predicted future results based on that poor performance and that isn't logical, which is what you always claim to be, it's emotional. A far more logical response would have been to concede that a very similar system had beaten a number of other teams in this division and therefore the likelihood would be that we'd beat more teams in the future. You claiming to be logical doesn't necessarily make it so. Hemsworth could claim to be logical if he wanted.

I don't claim to be anything, I let others judge me on what they think I am. And that will differ from person to person. We're not the same person to everyone and I can't tell others what they should think I am.

12. 55&counting

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I didn't go today either but it looks like we played 442 and we won against a side who haven't lost at home this season. 442 worked today and it will work again. You are missing my point. 442 is our preferred system. It's the system which suits our squad and the system for which this group has been recruited. My point is that we need to be able to play other systems and adopt other tactics within a game if necessary. That's a statement of the bleeding obvious but it's something Hecky failed to do in the Fulham game. However he's bright and astute enough to not let that happen again....I hope.
    Of course I think we were badly beaten against Fulham. I never said that we weren't.
    I thought they were outstanding on the day and I think on the day they would have beaten most teams. I didn't go to Brighton but went to Preston, Wolves and Huddersfield so I've seen most games this season. Fulham are the best side I've seen so far. Better than Newcastle.
    And yes of course we should have dealt with Parker differently. I never said that we shouldn't have. That illustrates my point. We should have changed from 442 to 451 in the game or just man marked Parker. I think we need a big target man in the squad to enable us to change our tactics effectively. Mebbe that could be Payne on the bench when fit. That would give us the options we need.
    The point I was trying to make to you was in response to your comment that you didn't know where the next win was coming from........if we played 442. I also agree with Jays comment that your logic deserted you in your post match analysis of the Flum game.

13. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    People have raised legitimate concerns about tactics, selection and squad depth. The fact that we've won a game doesn't make those concerns any less legitimate. I'm also pretty sure that all those who have exercised their right to make these observations, will be absolutely delighted tonight.

14. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Long live Red Rain . His posts are like reading encyclopedia brittanica. I read lord of the rings quicker than one of his posts.

15. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I do not disagree with most of that, and if that is your position, then it is very close to mine.

Orsen Khat pointed out the fault in my reasoning last week, and I was forced to concede that we do not currently have the players, particularly the centre forward, to play 4-5-1. We spent all the summer transfer window accumulating the players that would allow us to play 4-4-2 without ever worrying that this concentration may make us predictable, and therefore easier to play against. I have not seen us away from home, but from the home games that I have seen, we have struggled against the various forms of 4-5-1. Now, once again, I have to concede that we are playing against a much higher quality player this season, and part of the problem is simply down to the quality we are facing, but I do think that you have to make arrangements within the system to enable the team to compensate against that individual superiority that our opponents often have, and that is what I struggle with. If we are too open, the better individuals that our opponent have will tend to use the space better than we can. Whether that means a different system, or a less open version of 4-4-2, or given the absence of most of our midfield for next week, 5-3-2. I do not know. Personally, I am not wedded to 4-4-2. We did not play 4-4-2 when we were promoted to the Premier League and that team played attractive football. Keith Hill played 4-5-1 when he had his best spell and our midfield included Vaz Te, Drinkwater and Butterfield and I very much enjoyed watching them and of course Norman Hunter's team did play 4-4-2 and I enjoyed watching them. I do not want to have an on-going argument centred around 4-4-2 or 4-5-1 because that is not my basic point. My basic point is that 4-4-2 is too open for our current situation as a team trying to establish itself in a higher league. But as I say, the weakness in my argument is that this team has been constructed to play 4-4-2 and there is the dilemma of my position.

By the way, I am pleased that you think that my Minority Reports stimulate debate. That is what they are for. I hope that they make people think, and I hope that the replies that they generate make me think in turn.

16. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You have taken that prediction much more literally than I intended. Similarly, my claim to being logical is very much how I see myself. It is a perception of myself that others might not share, but it is, nevertheless how I like to try to approach my decision-making. Whether others see it that way is largely down to them.

Jay, I am sure that you have standards of how you wish to live your life. I am sure that you would wish to be judged by others according to the standards that you would use to judge yourself. Provided you continue to live your life by those standards, I am sure that you will not care too deeply how someone else sees you. That is all that I am saying. According to the standards that I have set myself, based upon my upbringing, education and job, I believe that I am logical. If you do not agree - well, I cannot do much about that can I.

I must confess that I did not expect to get into a self-worth discussion on a football forum. Who knew?

17. Red

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I am considering changing my Pseudonym to JRR Red Rain.

18. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yer daft bugger!:D:D
    'Like'

19. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ad a thought thad be happy, no?