Yesterday

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by YTBFC, Oct 23, 2016.

1. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Because it was a long-distance away day with just under a thousand Reds in attendance I thought I'd give a report for those interested. This is an unofficial report, the opinions of me, Reds supporter, not the opinions of BFC. Sithi.

First time I've been to Griffin Park, another ground ticked off and a good time to do so considering I was told by a few Brentford officials that they're very close to getting the go-ahead for a new-build stadium which they're likely to share with Rugby Union club London Irish. A 20,000 generic build they told me, ready by 2018 if everything goes to plan.
    But I hope I get to visit GP again before their move, it's a proper rare stadium isn't it? Like it's been dropped from the sky into the middle of a housing estate or summat. The stands hidden from view by allsorts of buildings. Seriously, were I not a football enthusiast and just walking on by, I'm not sure I'd realise there was a football ground situated there.
    Each stand looked well old, like having four of our West Stands. Plenty of terracing, even corner terraces. Proper throwback.

We arrived later than anticipated after a trip round the Northern Circular. We were then ushered to our parking space which seemed closer to Oakwell than Griffin Park. But we were there. And we were greeted in very jovial fashion by the people of Brentford FC who couldn't have been any more welcoming. Unlike the folk at Elland Road on our last away trip. Summat about class..

The press box was the only let-down. So tight was the leg-room that even Oscar Pistorius would have been a bit cramped. My knees are ****** generally and today they're ****** a bit more. My left earhole took some hammer too, more on that in a bit..

Had a little scout around the place to get prime positions for filming and what-not. Took me about 30 seconds it's such a small place. The dressing room was smaller than my bathroom. I've seen non-league clubs with dressing rooms four times the size. I bet even Lee Johnson would struggle for space in there. But I suppose it helps to bring the lads closer together..

Chatted to some of the supporters behind the goal. Hemsworth wouldn't oblige. Too busy celebrating the news that Robbo wasn't playing, probably. Only kidding, Phil. Ryan Kent nearly took my head off with a stray shot during the warm-up. He apologised later in his New York accent. Yeh man.

It was Brentford's 4,000th league game so they were doing announcements and other little titbits but there wasn't any noise from the home fans. Ridiculously quiet, start to finish. I have to say though, in talking to so many of their fans before the game and at half-time as I managed to sneak a *** break in, practically every one I spoke to was over 50 years old at a guess. The lack of young fans was majorly apparent. Whereas at Oakwell we are awash with youngsters following us. Huge is that. For our future. But aye, all the noise came from behind the goal to our left with 947 Reds in attendance. The Bees 'keeper Bentley seemed to be their target, but I even heard songs about Leeds, Sheffield and loads in support of Sam Winnall. Safe to say they were a merry bunch. Three pubs on the corner, innit?

Huge pillar in view in the first-half unfortunately so we didn't quite catch the Reds opening goal perfectly. I knew it was Arma who scored, but wasn't sure if it was Winnall or Watkins who'd nodded the ball down. I went with Watkins (he'd done so on three prior occasions). It was Winnall. My bad. But it was deserved, the goal. There hadn't been much between the sides but we'd grown into the game after 20 minutes and Watkins had found Winnall brilliantly on a couple of occasions just before the first goal, the warning signs were there for Brentford. They didn't notice them and Arma gave us the lead with a scruffy finish.

Brentford's issue seemed to be urgency, or lack of it. The lad Sawyers had two or three chances unopposed in midfield to slip Hogan through or between our defenders yet dallied. Whereas Morsy, Hourihane and Kent drove us forward with speed, everything was done much more quickly, on instinct. It rarely came off or owt, but the intent was there. The home side barely had a chance of note. Probably their best chance was a Kaikai effort from about 8 yards out that he spooned over the bar. The ginger lad in midfield was decent initially, Ryan Woods. But faded from prominence as Morsy and Hourihane took the central battleground. Those two dovetailed nicely.

We were beyond solid defensively. Angus played like a better version of John Stones. Jacko less eye-catching, doing the necessary. Hogan's frustration boiled over once or twice. He Rugby tackled Jacko off the ball at one point. Nothing doing. He then appeared to kick out off the ball at Angus, which resulted in him getting booked. And Angus. Bizarre. But the referee wasn't great. They never are. He also booked Winnall who'd been fouled about six times without getting anything, for dissent. Not sure how Marley got away with the same thing, he too was man-handled all afternoon with nothing given and he too gave the ref some grief. But for once, the officials didn't affect the result.

The Reds came out flying early in the second half, decision-making wasn't great though and we couldn't get a second goal. I still couldn't see Brentford getting owt though. Their best player by some distance was the right-back, Maxime Colin. He hit the top of the bar with a pot-shot and generally kept Kent and Yiadom at bay. Until the 66th minute..

Kent tore him a new one, Arma's return pass in the one-two was perfectly weighted for Kent to thwack at goal, it rattled the post and fell as kind as possible for Super Sam to side-foot in from about a yard out. He went wild, the fans went wild. Even I let out a "gerrinn!" up in the cramped press box.

It was great to see Ryan Williams back involved. He looked fit and decent. Trust me, we keep him fit, we've a very good ******* player. Another one. Glad to see him received well by the fans as he came on. Hammill got a similar run-out, he too was greeted nicely by the supporters, no grudges held. Nice. We move on. And the introduction of young Browny up top was another highlight. I've seen far too many 23s games this season and this kid looks the real deal. The injuries right now created him that brief opportunity, so I don't expect him to be a fixture in the squad all of a sudden, but again, it's my opinion he wouldn't have been brought on were he not highly thought of.

We saw out proceedings pretty professionally I thought. Davies made a couple of cracking late saves, he was top drawer when called upon. But every man produced yesterday. Nobody was below-par. Petsonally I had Angus as my man of the match. He won everything in the air. He Cruyff-turned his way out of trouble a few times, he just oozed quality. Yiadom similarly looks a class above in terms of technical ability. There are players in them non-leagues and such. Glad we're finding them, and with regularity.

My left earhole was hammered though. Chap next to me was from a national newspaper that I won't name. He badgered me about MacDonald all afternoon.

"who's that?" "how much did he cost?" "can we interview him after the game?" "Stones, Holgate, Mawson and now this kid.." "scouts at half time were raving about your number 5" "somebody at your club needs a pay-rise finding him"

I half-expected him to kidnap Angus at full-time. Or bum him. Possibly both.

It wasn't just him though. I had scouts and other random press folk asking me about Angus. It was the same after Leeds as well. He's been noticed, trust me. And believe me, if you weren't there you missed a perfect centre-half display. That pairing (that first-time pairing) yesterday was brilliant. They complimented each other so well. That's a lad who'd only ever played a few games for Torquay and a lad who'd only ever played a few games for Hartlepool. With a lad from Barnet out of position next to them and a teenage Academy kid at the other side. And a keeper behind them who's only playing his third season of football.

As Ryan Kent might say, "big up da recruitment strategy n dat."

The Brentford folk were just as lovely post-match as they'd been pre-match. I look forward to reciprocating later in the season. We finally got out of the stadium just after 7pm and I got back to Bradford just before midnight. A 17 hour day. Had an Aberdeen ANGUS burger on the way home, obviously. And a few beers until about 2am watching Hecky on repeat.

Looking forrad to LJ's return now. I'm not speaking for the Club when I say this, but can we not give him the stick he probably wants? Much better to act like he isn't there (not hard, considering his stature) and concentrate on giving the lads ont field and in our dugout your tremendous backing. It makes a difference. I never used to think it did. But it does.

We're without Hourihane. Barest of bare bones. Be the twelfth man ( :D ). Or summat.

You Reds etc.

2. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    'Like'
    Thanks for that, Andy, old mate. Excellent write up. I especially like your comments about young Angus.

3. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bloody hell, I wish they'd leave us alone!

Nice write up - cheers for that.

4. redarmychris

redarmychris Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We know Ryan Williams is a good player we've seen him.

5. Hem

Hemsworth Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was just reading Football manager 2017. Ten clubs to manage before the shoot practice got underway.

6. blivy

blivy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good to hear McDonald had another good game. We seem to have been blessed with quality centre halves of late.

7. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, excellent write up. Can see us playing 5 at the back before too long seeing as we seem to have three top centre halves.

It's worked before!

8. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good report and good to hear angus played well again. Been impressed with what I have seen from him so far and will only get better with time only played about 8 games so far at this level.

9. Hud

Huddersfield Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Decent report Whitey but do we really need the 'F' word in any form? Kids do the read the forum.

10. coo

cooper&currie Member

Good report that pal. Cheers.

11. YTB

YTBFC Guest

You have my sincerest apologies.

12. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Did you manage to get over our national embarrassment of a crossword?

13. redarmychris

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The media team took my feedback on board and didn't post it again. They obviously realised it was a terrible idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is all well and good but I feel your football knowledge is not as great as others.

15. redarmychris

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for the feedback.

16. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    V readable as ever and always. Cheers for that. Hope you're enjoying the job.

17. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ooops quoted wrong guy.
    meant to have quoted whitey.
    soz

18. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Your feedback was ace.

Stay tuned for a word-search on Saturday.

19. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Somebody compared me to JRR Tolkien yesterday, and then you turn up with that.

Excellent Report.

Thanks

20. redarmychris

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I hope not I'm pulling my Barnsley Player subscription if the media team produce crap like that again via any form of social media.