Good news on the town centre redevelopment front

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by SuperTyke, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We all know that the inside of the metropolitan centre and the market hall are getting a revamp but I've been told that the outside is getting a complete new facade too with an end to the horrible pebble dashed frontage. Also the overhanging balcony is to be removed.

Looking around the crown today there are actually a lot more beautiful buildings than you realise, it's just a shame that they are in need of a good clean and tidy up and that a lot of them are overshadowed or hidden by drab looking modern buildings surrounding them. Could do with a sandblaster hitting the town centre and going from building to building cleaning the fronts up. Would look like a great town centre again then. The other thing that needs to happen is the building with boots in it needs to have its canopy removed from the front, it's really ugly. Would look like a totally different buiding with the pebble dashed front clad in something like cedar and a glass canopy replacing the concrete. It would go from being an eyesore to being a highlight of the town instantly.

2. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ceedar daft, bit too Sheffield like for me.

3. Spirit Ditch

Spirit Ditch Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Are they sticking with diarrhoea yellow for the market building?

4. funnyfella23

funnyfella23 Well-Known Member

Civil Servant
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They are starting it all over again in a theme not fit for the 60s?

5. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think they should demolish the big man shop and relocate him to other suitable premises. It would make a nice entrance into town from westway and open that end of town up to visitors . We haven't got many nice buildings left because of the 1970' s modernisation attempt . But like one poster says a good clean and shotblast will go a long way . I love my town but some areas are ready for the recking ball .

6. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They've always said the outside was getting a revamp and it shows this on the images, they are stripping it back to the steel work. I've also heard on he grapevine that there are some big names showing interest in the restaurant units around the square but we don't have a cinema provider yet.

7. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I dont think I've actually seen any images of what the cheap side side is going to look like, only the new part round the back. You got any links to anything for a quick perusal?

It wasn't till today that I realised how out of place he old bhs building was either the other buildings look really nice but that one just hides them all

8. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Greggs, QuidBake & Taybarn's

9. Jim

Jimbo85 New Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The original proposed images can be found here on IBI's website. http://www.ibigroup.com/projects/barnsley-town-centre These are quite old now, no new ones have been released and these were never final designs. The ones for the Met Centre should be available on the council portal soon enough if they're commencing early next year. The first picture is the proposed new shopping area. The second is the Alhambra entrance. The third is as though you're standing at the bottom of New Street, Alhambra to your right, the old Early Learning Centre straight in front. The final image is the Met Centre, that corner is currently Carphone Warehouse.

One thing to remember is that the second lot of development (construction of the cinema, new "shopping boulevard" and restaurant units on the old TEC site) isn't being funded by the council. I'm not surprised they haven't got an operator for the cinema yet, they've delayed the demolition of the Multi Storey car park 3 times already and is now due to be standing for at least a further 18 months to 2 years. It's looking like 2020 at the earliest for that.

The refurb of the Met Centre will include the following;

A relocated meat and fish market
    Reconfigured indoor market area
    New shop units along Cheapside (5 on each level)
    A restaurant unit where the Carphone Warehouse is currently
    Improved entrances to the indoor markets
    4 new "Kiosk" style units
    Demolition of 3 units (the ones closest to the Alhambra, previously Early Learning Centre, H&B and Optical Express?) - not sure when this is planned but would make sense to do it quite early to provide better access to the current meat and fish market as this is staying where it is for at least 12 months.
    An extension at the back of the Met Centre (partly where parts of the old Semi Open and market offices are) which will form one side of the new "shopping boulevard" (8 new shop units) - Obviously this extension won't be done until the car park is demolished.

Obviously I would assume this refurbishment will be completed in phases to ensure the whole thing isn't closed all at once, I presume the Meat and Fish is the first to be completed so that the old one can be demolished as quickly as possible.

10. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, those are the one l'm referring to, the artist drawings also show new shop fronts.

11. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wahaca, bug hut.