BBC Interviewing Barnsley people about Brexit on Radio 4

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Brush, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One bloke thought we were already out of Europe.

He said he didn't understand any of it - yet he voted - proof if ever there was any that there was no real effort by either side of the referendum debate, to properly explain what people were actually voting about.

Democracy at it's most stupid.

2. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Another example of the BBC deliberately looking for the most stupid amongst us to interview

3. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Based on the evidence presented they didn't need to look very hard it seems. I'm staggered about how many people didn't know what they were voting for! It's a shame as there are no doubt some very knowledgable people on both sides of the debate who live in our area who could put a reasoned argument forward. Sensationalist journalism though it seems it's easier to put the village idiots on tv.

4. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not.

5. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What difference does it make. The House of Commons may ignore the democratic wishes of its people. Whatever subject you are talking about whether it be brexit or the price of goldfish, this is wrong on so many levels. Disgraceful

6. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We have a parliamentary democracy and as such Parliament is Sovereign - remember Boris and Nige banging on about it? Well now that Parliament looks like it might stand in the way, they want to bypass it. Neat trick.

The Referendum cannot usurp the role of Parliament. We elected the 650 or so of them so that we don't have to bother making these sort of decisions - we pay them to do it. The alternative is that we have referendums every week about something or other which will produce contradicting and conflicting policies and the whole system would be unworkable.

There should be a general election where the policy of Brexit should be put before the people, properly explained and in the manifestoes of individual MPs. Then if there's a majority of MPs supporting Brexit, out we go.

7. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Couldn't agree more. One of the most important decisions for our country in centuries, and who makes it? A bunch of complete amateurs with no crystal ball. Complete utter madness.

8. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What difference would a manifesto make when parties rarely stick to them using the excuse of not realising how bad the previous government had let things get, yatter yatter.
    There was ample time for both sides to put their case forward, both packed with agendas, assumptions, some truths but mostly codswallop. The people got 1 vote each and chose to use that to make a direct impact. To be honest the result probably won't make too much difference to me personally and the eu will have collapsed when my kids will be of an age to be affected so I wasn't fussed about the result. The issue I've got is that parliament is doing the masterbation sign after the public have left the room

9. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This should never, ever have gone to public vote it was too big a decision to let us vote. We elected the MPs to make the best decision for the country and they should have made the decision in the first place. There was nowhere near enough information out there for us to make a proper decision and the problem is that a lot of people that voted against are the ones that are going to lose the most in EU grants etc. Boris et al have a lot to answer for.

10. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    This with lots of tinsel on

11. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I didn't have a clue. So I didn't vote, simple as. I don't want to vote on the unknown.

12. Goo

Googs Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Me too mate. I didn't want to waste my vote, but I honestly couldn't decide. Pro's and cons for both.

13. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Mmmmm...........who was it, if not our elected MPs, who voted for a referendum?

Their big mistake, not the public's. We didn't vote for a referendum. We voted in one.

Presumably the public should never have had a vote on whether we joined in the first place.

14. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I didn't vote either. Didn't have the faintest clue. The only thing that I was sure about was that both sides were at best making it up as they went along, at worst lying. The entire episode was a complete embarrassment.

15. JDB

JDB Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm pro-Europe but unfortunately couldn't vote because my postal vote went missing (like a LOT of other people). However people always wrongly believed that we were voting to leave Europe - when instead the referendum was designed to influence the decision of Parliament.

In light on yesterday's ruling I'd be happy for each MP to vote on it and be bound by the final outcome - regardless of whether I agree with it. MP's are duty bound to represent their constituency, and therefore it would make sense to enact the wishes of the majority of people in that constituency e.g. 51% of constituency voted leave - therefore the MP should vote to leave. If this happened, I wonder what the outcome would actually be? My guess is that the outcome would be to stay.

16. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Read the newspaper headlines this morning to see what the press barons want. They want power and control and they can't get it in Europe. They fought the referendum on sovereignty of parliament and parliament makes decisions for the UK. What they meant was "The Tory party is sovereign and they alone make decisions for the UK". If you dare to challenge the party you are the "enemy of the people". Enemy within anyone?

17. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is brexit in a nutshell. One side taking an evidence based decision. The other just totally missing the point, refusing to listen to reason and losing their minds through Daily fcukin Mail reporting. Unreal.

18. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    There were so many things wrong with the process, in my opinion of course. Here's my list: -

1) Most of the people voting didn't have a clue what they were voting for/against and didn't understand the concepts. I'm not daft and I had no clue.
    2) There was an over-emphasis on immigration, at times bordering on racism, which I believed enhanced the leave vote. In my opinion this should make the result null and void.
    3) There were blatant lies told by the politicians on both sides, but because they were on the internet, people believed them. All that dosh for the NHS, for example. In my opinion this should make the result null and void.
    4) My 91 year old dad is on his last legs, bless him. He won't be here much longer. Why did he get the same vote as a 21 year old just starting his/her first job, with an entire career and life to come?

It's like choosing a new car, without knowing the make, model or price and without having a test drive. How on earth can you decide? It's a tale of complete buffoonery from start to finish.

19. Carlycu5tard

Carlycu5tard Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wasn't a referendum on Europe part of the Tory manifesto - therefore by electing a majority Tory Govt "we" ( and I mean that in the loosest possible terms) did vote for a referendum.

Scotland is clear - Didn't vote for a referendum (i.e. didn't vote Tory) and voted to stay in.
    Barnsley is also clear - didn't vote for a referendum - but did vote ovewhelmingly to leave.

Not for any reason other than morbid curiosity I wonder how it would map accross - constituencies and indeed individual voters - those who voted Tory (ie. for a referendum) then to stay. And indeed those who voted against a referendum and then to leave - like Barnlsey.

20. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well done mate you did the right thing.