That away terrace

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by redrum, Nov 5, 2016.

1. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Seemed abit over crowded to me and one male toilet between 1300 supporters Que was massive at half time..... nice little club though and freindly supporters hope they stay up.

2. tosh

tosh Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    From the side, there looked to be plenty of spare room.

3. Don

DonnyTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Was a bit of a 'sort yourselfs' out approach from the stewards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Felt like a sardine where I was they was a handfull of reds in the home end nearest the away seating joined in song in the 2nd half.

5. Bak

Baka Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was rammed.

**** knows what would have happened if we'd actually scored: there was a surge about five minutes in which very nearly made me fall over.

It was scary. There was a bloke near us who just walked out after about quarter of an hour, saying he'd had enough.

6. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is why I'd never go to a standing area. I'm not exactly short myself but I reckon I'd feel claustrophobic surrounded by everyone - nevermind if they were jumping up and down if we scored.

7. J...

J... Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For once, there wasn't a queue for the ladies; that's a first!

8. Arn

Arnside Red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Didn't think it was too crowded, been a lot worse, but the toilet situation, appalling, huge queues esp at half time, but yes, friendly bunch, was same last season, decent club

9. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's the trouble with standing. The distribution of fans isn't equally spread.

10. She

Sheriff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Standing on that terrace last season made me realise that there's no such thing as safe standing, which is why I'm against the campaign to bring it back.

11. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes I agree could of been dangerous had we scored.

12. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've not been, but as far as I'm aware Burton have terraces rather than 'safe standing'. You'd need to go to Germany to see the latter in action, and I think it's a very different thing. If standing were ever introduced again it wouldn't be anything like Burton.

13. She

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But, by default, in an era of supposed all-seater stadia, the Burton away end is deemed to be safe for tickets to be sold there. It wasn't even at capacity last season and felt uncomfortably crowded. I have no doubt it would have been worse today.

Countless grounds still use terracing like this so I don't anticipate huge changes to be made to them. We're fortunate in that we very rarely have to use them at full capacity when we visit.

Even if the more modern standing is introduced to replace existing seating areas it would still be a retrograde step, IMO.

14. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I'm not sure if you've seen safe standing terracing? The seat folds up behind you meaning no trip hazard and there is a barrier in front, effectively making it safe for you to stand in your seating area. There no crush as fans are distributed evenly as you've all got an allocated space. I'm sure someone might be able to provide a picture

15. She

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've seen pictures and demos of it. I now take my 7yo daughter to games, and she'd be blocked from seeing anything (and with no option to go down to the front with the other kids).

Different issues to the crush/surging on open terraces, but still not an improved experience and a retrograde step.

As mentioned earlier, I can't see Burton replacing it's existing terracing with that kind of setup anytime soon.

We were one of the few clubs who had the zero tolerance on standing imposed on them in the 90s. The same standard should still be applied to eradicate the remaining terracing (at the very least at Championship level) but it seems not to be a priority anymore.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

16. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One thing that interests me about safe standing is he exactly would they stop people from bunching up? We've all seen how many people stand up at the back of the ponty end and gather around the top of the gangways, how many away fans stand in the camera area at the back of the away end and how woefully poor the stewards are at intervening when crowd trouble arises so how can they ever hope of stopping young Dave and his mates from all bunching up together on a row? It's OK saying that they have allocated slots but come on, they don't stick to that now with seats, there's chuff all chance of them sticking to it when essentially they are allocated a square painted on the floor.

Safe standing in the current guises (rail chairs etc) are a huge backwards step. They are ridiculously expensive to install, have higher maintenance costs than standard seating, are labour intensive to convert from seating to standing and back again when required, are still an overcrowding risk, present viewing problems when in the seated position and frankly are a crazy half arsed measure from people who have put all their efforts into just about meeting the specifications and terms set out for them rather than being adequate for the job.

17. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exactly, Burton should remind folk how bad standing is when a stand is full.

"Safe standing" is totally different, it's effectively a seat where you can stand up.

18. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You can't, in 1989, just down the road, 96 people got crushed to death because of one thing leading to another that wouldn't have happened if they'd had a designated area to be SEATED in. Whether they'd have actually sat down or not is another matter, but all they'd have done is annoyed someone behind at worst.

Never understood people's excitement at going to a ground that's standing, had it at Brentford and then Burton, why?

19. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Thems the vagaries! I've no idea how to go about policing where folk stand, we can't organise it now they've all got a seat. As for cost there's many clubs (ours included) who've spent millions putting seats in, I wouldn't expect them to be ripped out anytime soon

20. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ar the good old days, Ponty roaring and the surges everytime the ball went in the box, oh to be young again. Hemmsy would have hed summat to moan abart his fellow fans reight in them days.