Before the flood.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by clints right foot, Nov 13, 2016.

1. cli

clints right foot Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  2. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    According to the leader-in-waiting of the free world and his wingman Pence, climate change is a complete myth.

3. cli

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah I know great innit not to mention half the senate is in the back pocket of the oil industries. They'll not be able to deny it for much longer unfortunately.

4. Barnsley Chopin

Barnsley Chopin Well-Known Member

Egghead
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Great album.

5. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Being honest, I'm not a great believer in anthropogenic climate change. Don't get me wrong, I recycle as much as possible and think we should do everything we can to clean up the planet, its just as a former scientist, some of the manipulation involved to get the data to fit the hypothesis is about as honest as an election campaign - I remember reading about one paper where they randomly added up to a degree on temperature readings around the world to make the measurements fit.

If you think about the entire history of the planet (4.5 billion years give or take), and were to draw a graph showing average temperature, CO2 levels, or anything else climate related, you could stretch it from Seattle to Miami and we'd only have really accurate information on the last few metres - and a lot of that is inferred from measurements of other factors - ice composition or tree rings.

For me, there are too many unknowns - including the cyclical behaviour of the Sun - and too many people on the climate change gravy train writing papers that are not as scientifically rigorous as they could be so they can keep getting grants.

6. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Hmm.... for what it is worth....

Mt take (based on a lot of reading.

Is climate change real?.... Absoliutely!
    Is man responsible? We contribute to the overall effect but the level of impact we have is debatable. I say this because much of the data is biased and provided by scientists with an agenda often from those with links to green power research etc. Think of an oil tanker heading towards the rocks. Mankind is like a man in a rowing boat tethered to the back. He can either row with the tanker or against it but the impact either way is negligible. Evidence to support the failings of scientists is provided by exaggerated reports of irreperable damage to the ozone layer over the pole with a huge hole which...err...repaired iteself. Aircraft flights cause global warming...err no! When 9 11 happened and flights were grounded over the USA the temperature actually rose due to the lack of artificial cloud cover from vapour trails thus warming the land surface.

Between major and cyclical ice ages it has been shown that there are many mini ice ages and this has gone on for millenia. In the time of the Normans, the UK was covered in woods but there were productive vineyards in the North of England and the climate was much warmer. In th 19th century the Thames used to freeze over and they held fairs and markets on it. We are now in a warming period.
    Like I said, it is nonsense to say there is no global warming but there is sod all we can do to stop it. Science should not be trying to stop the inevitable but trying to mitigate it and plan how the world will cope with it. The arrogance of scientists who think we can control nature is regularly demonstrated by the Earthquakes, floods, hurricanes that occur on a regular basis and which we have no control over.

7. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hi mate, I followed your link and it says "Thanks so much for your monthly donation to Forest and Sea Fund". I wasn't aware I'd made any such donation.... was this referring to a donation you've made?

8. cli

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah mate must be, my bad.

9. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: Hmm.... for what it is worth....

As a Chemist, I know that certain molecules absorb photons and convert them into vibrational energy - heat. Since the industrial revolution WE have increased the quantities of these molecules in our atmosphere at a far faster rate than any natural process could ever do. It has long been accepted by scientists that changes in the atmosphere like this have resulted in climate changes over millions of years (the reason why Venus has such a high surface temperature and why Mars is so cold). In the light of that, why should these man-made atmospheric changes not have the same effects?

Your example about reduction in air traffic is nonsense by the way - ok VERY short-term there was slightly more sunlight due to less scattering from vapour trails hence more heat - this effect would have ceased as soon as air traffic resumed. Longer-term there was a significant reduction in CO2 which will help reduce future warming.

Besides all of that, as a rational person, you should take in all the information and err on the side of caution. Accept that climate change is real, may have been caused by us and take precautions to minimise the potential damage.

10. T-Dog

T-Dog Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Watched this and highly recommend that anyone with a spare hour and a half to give it a go.

It is on National Geographic catch-up if you have sky and also on YouTube here
    https://youtu.be/N26b4lgWMVI