Bree

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by LiverpoolRed, Nov 20, 2016.

1. LiverpoolRed

LiverpoolRed Well-Known Member

Liverpool, Liverpool, United Kingdom, 105653082800
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry but what did he do wrong yesterday- didn't notice any defence frailties at all. Was it mistakes going forward?
    Defensively I thought we were pretty solid- they didn't cause us any major problems. Different game if Armstrong had put that well created chance away. Strikers didn't get great service again - thought Wigan were poor which made it more frustrating we didn't finish them off

2. LiverpoolRed

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Defensive frailties sorry

3. Hem

Hemsworth Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Same Liverpool red. Was amazed when I read it after the game . Thought he did little wrong.

Thought he did more than Yiadom because at least he got forward and offered an option instead of sitting back and sending the winger into the ****.

4. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Misplaced pass after misplaced pass. Wisdom was a rock under far more pressure than Bree was under too

The west Yorkshire lad had a poor game

5. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There were definitely a few misplaced passes but nothing to write home about. I was a massive fan of Bree a few seasons ago and thought he was our next best thing, now I would say he just looks average. (I'm aware he's still young so being average at this level is still a compliment). Feeling a bit sorry for Bree that he's now getting more criticism than he deserves by people trying to balance out him to Hemsworth who is seemingly using him to try and bring other players down. Surely the way to combat that is to support the other players, not highlight faults Bree makes but I can see why it is done to show the hypocrisy.

6. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He simply refuses to accept the positives of other players so the ONLY way to defend them is to show that his beloved fellow west Yorkshireman (it's a deal breaker it seems) also made a balls up of several things.

7. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd have to agree with you brees passing wasn't upto much yesterday for example a couple of times we would work the ball into good positions in and on the edge of the area on lely for bree to blaze a cross wide one of his poor crosses even went out for a wigan throw from the right wing. Yidom was our best full back even though he is playing out of position on the left.

8. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Defensively I thought our back 4 were as good as they've been all season.

As usual, Bree's distribution left a little to be desired. He still has age on his side, but I feel that some of his decision making is very poor.

#TeamsLikeBarnsley

9. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Defenders are there to primarily defend.

Both our wingers got into good positions to deliver the ball into the box on several occasions yesterday, and the final ball wasn't good enough, more from Kent than Watkins. Both full backs supported where required, but really that's what we should be expecting them to do, support.

Wigan had come with one fast lad up front, that was their game plan. Allowing the full backs too much freedom to go forward could have seen them exploit us with Wildschut's pace.

#TeamsLikeBarnsley

10. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought Bree did OK. At times he looks frighteningly good at other times terrifyingly bad. A bit like Ryan Kent I suppose but whereas putting the work in on Kent is difficult to justify as he us isn't offering enough to the team (unlike say Fletcher who we developed but who also benefitted us) it's easy to let Bree develop into the team and potentially beyond. He really needs to work on decision making and ball distribution defensively he is definitely improving.

11. LiverpoolRed

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nothing major then - think the back 4 as a unit look pretty steady

12. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Did ok in every respect except his crossing. He defended well, got forward and made some dangerous runs into the box in the second half. Solid game for me.

13. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's 2016 Archey and it's vital that the full backs offer support in a fluid system that we tried to play yesterday. Much like a Wingers got to get back and defend. It's a team effort and they are a patnership. Must have been last season but on MNF Gary Neville spoke about this in depth. He talked about the winger going back to play full back in the modern game.

Manchester United have Valencia at full back so he offers the width. Actually you look at all the top teams it's the full back that offers the width and the over lap. Even if you look at the massive teams. Marcelo Ronaldo, carvajal Bale . Naymar Alba . and years gone Messi Alves. you can go on and on with this.

Back to Bree. I actually think Kent/ Bree's the best partnership going forward with the ball. Go back to the Derby game at home they were impressive together.

He's normally good at going forward Bree and I was a little bit, come on James you can do better than that. It was the one where he crossed over the bar. I felt he should have tacken a touch passed the defender that was squared up and cut it back.

On the left Archey. Last season. Hammill struggled with Williams behind him. he did. The club went with a little bit of half messures in the summer and it's hit them. This season they have BOTH (Kent and Hammill) struggled with Yiadom behind them. Now this isn't Yiadom's fault but the managment teams fault. They set the dynamic of the squad and I've mentioned my opionion on that in another post.

To Jam Drop I think it is above. Bree's a FIRST YEAR PRO. He's doing good. I went and watched the u18's yesterday and when you think he's 6 month out of that then it's amazing to think that.

Stick with him and enjoy him because he's not going to be here for long imo

14. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Bree and Kent have no partnership. Kent has been poor for weeks and has contributed little. White and Hammmill play as a partnership. Not sure any of our combinations of other wingers or defenders do.

15. ATY

ATYKE1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I like the point made above.
    Primarily the full backs are there to defend. We play a system where we have two wide attacking players who's job it is to put in the best quality balls for the front men.
    Defensively I find it hard to criticise either full back yesterday and may be there contribution going forward was not their best but then they did their primary function well. The same yesterday could not be said about the others further up the field - most had an off day - it happens ( with the exception of Marly ).
    As for Bree - he's a young lad who,again did his main job (defending well yesterday). I think most of us,with some obvious exceptions think that Yiadom gets in before him in our full strength team but that's no slight on the lad and I'm sure in time he'll be an excellent player, if he isn't already.
    On the subject of full backs I sometimes despair at the obsession of looking for their attacking qualities first and foremost. England have done it for years, with the exception of Ashley Cole who was very good at both, they look for attacking FB,s who come up short defensively against decent opposition in tournament football.
    Let's have some patience.

16. Hem

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Really disagree. Watching Kent and Bree sitting in esl was very good to see. They do have a partnership.

Plus he's been bad for weeks on Kent. Nonsense. First half at Burton he was very good. Brentford very good good. Two in the last 4.

17. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely bang on

18. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    James Bree is a good defender.

He's never going to be the sort of full back that gets forward to support the wingers. He's simply not good enough going forward to play that role. That isn't a criticism, that's just how it is. If he's playing, he's there to defend. You don't have to have full backs who can attack, whether it's 2016 or 1941. If you've got a defensive minded full back then that leaves the attack minded winger to get forward and do their job. Similar to when we had the likes of Ricardo Vaz Te out wide, he couldn't defend so we stuck with a primarily defensive full back behind him, whether that be Hassell or Wiseman. Kent can't defend, so we've got Bree behind him.

Your comments about Hammill and Williams are strange. Williams was our most consistent performer in the 2nd half of last season, and Hammill excelled in front of him.

The stuff what Gary Neville says, the way Gareth Bale plays etc etc is irrelevant. It isn't applicable to a team like Barnsley.

#TeamsLikeBarnsley

19. ATY

ATYKE1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hammill was so bad with Williams behind him that he had an absolute shocker of a game at Wembley in the play-off final!

20. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I have to admit I rang 999 after reading that.