Jamie Clapham.....

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Shepley Red, Nov 26, 2016.

1. She

Shepley Red Well-Known Member

Building Surveyor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Really don't think he's the answer as Hecky's assistant. From January onwards for the remainder of last season Coventry were poor in league 1 losing 11 games, winning 7 and drawing 4 despite having had a decent start to last season. This season they didn't win their first league game until 1st October which was just after when Clapham departed on 29th September. Since his arrival at Oakwell we now seem to have gone back to this tippy tappy, ponderous style of play. I was hoping Hecky wouldn't rush into getting an assistant and maybe look for someone with plenty of experience...

2. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm always intrigued by posts like this. How do you know he's not the answer. Do you go to watch them train every day? I saw us playing across the back a few times last night but in general we played some wonderful stuff at times. Purposeful and incisive.
    I was gutted to lose Tommy but we have to trust hecky to make the right decision re replacement.

3. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's there in black and white to see in the stats. From the turn of the year until he left Coventry City their form at an easier level was abysmal. Since he's left them their form has noticeably picked up. Before he came to us at an higher level we were doing well with Tommy Wright who sadly had to be sacked. Since joining us our form has noticeably declined. His record at an easier level was very poor and yet somehow he gets promoted to the same position and a better club, at a better standard. Under Tommy Wright we played on the floor, attacked with purpose and looked good picking up valuable wins. Since we've brought in Clapham we've been more direct and a lot more tippy tappy with sidewards and backwards passing. It's so frustrating when we make up good ground and then end up around where we started again on the pitch.

4. She

Building Surveyor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't watch them train every day and I don't know he's not the answer (fair point) however, based on the stats at Clapham's previous appointment at Coventry it doesn't look promising!! Dreamboy also points out the stats dont lie!
    I thought we ended up playing the ball backwards a fair few times and sometimes unnecessarily when in decent positions, it was on occasions frustrating!
    I'd gladly eat humble pie if Clapham turns out to be a really good appointment but based on the above and what I've seen at BFC so far I'm underwhelmed!

5. OnGoingCloud1887

OnGoingCloud1887 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd have like to see him bring another one of his friends from 10 years ago. Maybe someone like Paul Reid or Chris Shuker.

6. shed131

shed131 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Mmmm interesting ....guess we are looking to pin the blame on someone for our poor form......couldnt it just be a case that the players we have on the books lack the experience at this level .....and therefore at times are going to make individual mistakes.
    The standard needed to play at this level is all new to them, every match is a cup final so to speak .....we wont win every cup final.....
    I for one dont think its the coaching thats the problem i think the team lacks two older heads with the know how of this league.....

7. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Do we really think Hecky would appointment somebody who was not up to the job? He clearly trusts him and thinks he's the right man so we have to trust his judgement. We're in a very difficult league and most of our team have little or no experience at this level so it's probably unfair to start singling out individuals to blame. As a team we need to adjust to the championship but this will take time and possibly a minor tweak to our recruitment policy.

8. springvale red

springvale red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've been thinking same re Clapham, would have preferred Redders come in as assistant. Shame Tommy got caught with his fingers in the till as we all thought he was the signing of the summer.

9. dreamboy3000

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The form has dropped from the exact same group of players from good to poor with the only change seemingly being the assistant manager. It's not a short term loss of form now it's been going on for a few months. I was surprised at the appointment but there is still time to turn things around. We don't have as much money as many other clubs to pull people towards us. A great selling point has been come to us and when an higher position becomes available promote from within like we did with Hecky and Linton when LJ and Benji left. I expected it to be Sir Bobby or Disco with them already at the club and going back over a decade ago to their playing days together.

10. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Yes it's all Jamie claphams fault

#****ingbonkers

11. YTB

YTBFC Guest

We had lost two and drawn one of our three games prior to Tommy getting his comeuppance. Some folk are grasping at some decidedly strange straws here.

12. pon

pontyender Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can't pretend I found his appointment very inspiring, especially when I realised that he's been Tony Mowbray's sidekick. I think we had a poor transfer window defensively though and that's caught up with us.

13. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would tend to agree with that, however, what we don't want is a couple of over-the-hill-journeyman-hasbeens just looking to play out their last few days on a decent wage....

14. She

Building Surveyor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes because I actually said it's all Jamie Clapham's fault FFS! I opened up a debate on his appointment, looked at his previous record and said in MY opinion he's not the right man for the job, however, as with most things only time will tell! I did go on to say in another post I hope I'm eating humble pie and he proves to be a really good appointment! Alternatively I could clap my hands excitedly like you and pretend everything's fantastic down at Oakwell despite 1 win in 12.

15. Fly

FlyingHour Member

Correlation does not imply causation.

16. dreamboy3000

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jamie Clapham joined Coventry City on the 1st of June 2015........

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32963649

He quit Coventry City on the 29th of September 2016........

Since the turn of the year last season Coventry City played 22 league games, lost exactly half and went through a period of 7 defeats in 9........

This season he was there for 10 games and didn't win any. After he left they went on a run of just one defeat in six..........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Coventry_City_F.C._season#Results

Before joining us we had won half of our first ten games of the season. Since then we've won just one of the eight league games he's been at us for......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Barnsley_F.C._season#Results_by_matchday

All could be a huge coincidence that Coventry form got better and ours worse on him leaving them and joining us. Could be a coincidence that before he arrived we weren't long ball or tippy tappy. Don't care what it is but whatever has gone wrong in the past few months needs correcting fast or at the very least it will put off guys we want from joining us.

17. YTB

YTBFC Guest

I think you're looking far too deeply into his role and impact on ours and their Club.

He's first team coach here. Tommy was assistant head coach. Bit of a difference right there.

Oh, and Tommy sold his career for five grand.

18. gooderzone

gooderzone Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The answer, people, is not Jamie Clapham.

it's Aidy White.

We were 5 W 0 D 2 L with him in the side, and only 1-0 down to Reading thanks to a VERY lucky penalty rebound from McCleary (which he satisfyingly repeated against Brizzle on Saturday) when White was last seen.

He also kick started our upturn in form in League One last year, making his debut at Oldham when we ended our losing streak and currently boasts the best win percentage in our squad by far (64%)

19. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

In a way I agree that we sometimes seem to overplay, and seem bent on getting the ball wide and putting crosses in.

On Friday we scored two great goals by moving the ball quickly. The first goal showed a side of Winall that often goes unnoticed as he came deep to get the ball and ran half the length of the pitch to head in the cross from Bree.

Not sure if the responsibility is Claphams though.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk