Minority Report - Birmingham City

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Red Rain, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My reports usually concentrate on Barnsley formations, but today, just for a change, I would like a word about Birmingham. In the first half, it was like Gianfranco Zola had never seen us play and had never read a scouting report either. He played 4-1-4-1, with Gleeson filling the gap between their defensive and midfield lines in the vain hope that he would stumble across somebody to mark. He was of course doomed to be disappointed as our most advanced central midfield player was miles away. It seems that Zola had expected us to start 4-5-1. Can anyone remember the last time we did that? Suffice to say his error meant that in the first half Barnsley played with 11 and Birmingham played with 10 plus Yozza Hughes (70s reference there).

In truth the best way to describe the first 24 minutes would be scrappy or lacking in shape. Then, out of the blue, Watkins shook off three Birmingham players and made a bee line for the goal-line where he turned sharply to lose a fourth and crossed low for Bradshaw to steer the ball into the net. Four minutes later, Winnall won a header that he had no right to win from a Hourihane corner and we were headed for another three points, or so we thought.

Then Marc Roberts stepped forward. I do not think that he has been the same player since his hamstring problems 10 games or so ago. He seems reluctant to use the pace that we know he has and his passing has become less accurate. This time the problem was neither of these. He should simply have cleared the ball and he did not. It left Maghoma through on goal, and a shot through the goalies legs brought Brum back into the game.

At half time Zola changed to a 4-4-2 and Gleeson aided and abetted by the ref, set about collecting as many names for his Christmas card list as he could. In fairness, I saw Scowen, Hourihane and Morsy all collect his name as well, but with different intent. He really is an irritating so and so isn’t he? Goodness knows how many we would have been reduced to had he started in centre midfield. Just 7 minutes in, Marc Roberts was caught sleeping in again, and brought down his man in the penalty box. That it was a penalty, there is no doubt, but the sending off came as a surprise. You see, I thought that a triple punishment for the same offence had been expunged from the rules. I thought that it was now judged sufficient that the scoring opportunity had been restored. Apparently not. Apparently, a player has to be making an attempt to get the ball, and apparently Marc Roberts was not making any such attempt. The thing is, what was Marc Roberts doing in our penalty box if he was not making any attempt to get the ball?

It is yet another sending off in a long line that I think are worth appealing, but PH seems to have accepted it, judging by his post-match comments, so what do I know. Posters who read me regularly will be well aware of my views on this rash of sendings-off. I have written at length on the subject and there is no reason to repeat myself again here. But the fact is that it spoiled a game that was coming nicely to the boil.

We put our players in two lines of 4 and asked Winnall to do his best up top on his own, which in fairness, he did. Adam Jackson was steadier than I remembered, when we finally got him on, and Jutkiewicz and Cotterill did nothing to convince us to do any January shopping in Birmingham. After last week, with possession stats of 36% v 64% you might expect me to make comment, but what else can be expected when you spoil the game as a spectacle. We were bound to try and hang on to what we had, though in fairness we did make more attempt to get forward than Reading had in similar circumstances earlier in the season. In fact, we might be a bit fortunate to end with 10 players, after Mr Gleeson and Mr Duncan had finished their work in the second half.

2. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with virtually all of that but not really noticed Roberts.

I will say there should've been no decision to be made with Roberts as the Birmingham player looked clearly offside in real time & the replays confirm it

3. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think you'll be in the minority there today Red Rain :)

4. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

I think that psychology played quite a part in yesterday's game.

Everything that happened before kick off was marvellously done, and a fitting and moving tribute to an outstanding servant of this (or any) club. The Birmingham supporters were highly praiseworthy for the respect and solidarity that they demonstrated. There can be no doubt though that there seemed a strange mood in the ground as the game kicked off. The atmosphere seemed a bit flat. Marley then took the game by the scruff of the neck and dragged it to life with his brilliant run and setup for Bradshaw. Birmingham looked a shockingly poor side, and when Sam netted it seemed simply a question of when we would declare.

For once I think we can all be absolutely unanimous that no-one with any interest will hold Mark Roberts' mistake for the Brum first against him. He has been a rock these last twelve months, and his future potential is not diminished. But the goal seemed to awaken long familiar anxieties among the team and the crowd. Suddenly we looked less confident. The gamble to put Marley in for Josh Scowen appeared to have paid off when we took the lead, but we were now missing Josh's doggedness and persistent pressing against a Birmingham midfield that began to gain a grip. Red Rain's analysis explains why this might have happened. With hindsight, Josh for Ryan Kent at half time might have been a smart call as Ryan was having little effect. His day will come again (as will Hammill's).

When Adams sprung the offside trap (or did he?) Robbo was behind him. With hindsight, Marc would have been better ducking towards the goalline and leaving Davies to try and block the shot - he'd have had a better chance than he did from the penalty. But as I've never played centre half at anything above Subbuteo level, it may be that instinct takes over at thses moments, and Robbo, with the earlier mistake perhaps playing on his mind attempted to stop Adams by the only means available to him.

The rearguard action thereafter was magnificent in some ways, and Jacko and Scowen were excellent when they came on. Grandfathertyke said to me "Marley never deserves to be on a losing side". I think that's right, and it goes for Josh as well. So thank goodness they weren't. Two points lost at 3.30pm turned into a point gained at 5.05pm.

Forest will be certain of victory on Monday - which is just the scenario we like!

5. Rev

Revvie P Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Agree with most of that.
    I sit at the wrong end of the ground to be sure but was convinced at the time that the player who won the pen was offside.
    As for the sending off, I'm not convinced we can appeal. It is my understanding that preventing a goal scoring opportunity is a one match ban. As we play again tomorrow - presumably the match he misses - I doubt an appeal would be heard in time.

6. spi

spidermatt Member

Teacher
    Style:
    Barnsley
    A very good read with some good replies.

Bit more of a majority report that one.

Gleeson was doing my head in, he might as well have just taken the refs whistle and done it himself.

7. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought this too. A combination of lack of time, Marc looking slightly injured and the need to rest players anyway due to games in quick succession means it probably wasn't worth the fuss.