(With apols to Red Rain) Minority view: this is not the end of the world!

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Orsen Kaht, Jan 12, 2017.

1. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

First up, Sam has done a great job for us for the last two and a half years. In particular his 24 goals last year were a major part of what many regard as our most memorable season ever. If this move comes off he will owe us nothing and I for one will wish him luck, whoever he joins. More of that later.

But there are one or two other considerations. There have been times during his spell where Sam has struggled with injury – thankfully, not last season. There have also been spells where I wondered if he was even up to League One level. That he came through that and proved himself not only in the third tier but in our current league is testament not only to Sam’s hard work, but also massively to Hecky and our coaching and sports science teams. Sam has undeniably done well this season, but it is still the case that he lacks pace at times. He turns 26 next week, and will not be getting any faster. And can his current health and fitness be guaranteed as he ages?

It seems no coincidence that we arrive at this point at a time when Adam Armstrong has signed on for the rest of the season. Newcastle must have been happy with what we are doing with Armstrong, but you would imagine that they will be keen to get him more game time. Given a fair run of starting games, I’d wager a fair amount that he is capable of matching Sam’s goal tally per game. We also have the highly promising Stefan Payne returning to fitness. Also available are the versatile Marley and Tom Bradshaw. Then there is the highly regarded Jacob Brown. So given that we can assume that Sam would be off in the Summer anyway, I can see some logic in being able to assess some of the alternatives now. And I think that this is by no means the end of our season. So while 500K (if correct) is not a huge sum, it probably represents a profit on the player, and it may pay for a punt on two or three more players like Stefan, who could begin the development journey with us, looking forward to next season.

I’d be far more worried if this window were to see the departure of Conor. And for reasons I’ve mentioned in other threads, I think that £5M is the minimum we should demand for his release, even given the limited remaining length of his contract. But if silly money is bid, we’d have to take it. Conor too, would owe us nothing. If an appropriate bid is not forthcoming, then there also begins to be an emerging logic in staggering the departure of two of our most influential players.

So back to Sam. Will he suit Wednesday’s style? When I’ve seen them recently they appear to demonstrate less finesse and more physicality than we do. We know from the stats, as well as our own experience that they do not have anybody to remotely match the delivery that Sam gets from Conor or even Adam Hammill (when on form). He has to do what’s best for his family and himself, given it’s a short career. But I’ll be surprised if Wednesday proves to be as good a fit for him as Barnsley have been. But as I said, I’ll wish him well, and I’ll be far from despondent about our prospects going forward.

2. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For Armstrong to score as many as Winnall we will need to change style. And he will need to work ****ing harder.

3. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I'd be sad to see Winnall go (still seen no announcement! !) but I think we'll be alreet. Agree about Armstrong, he has to step up and match his talent with some graft. But I really see this as a massive chance for Bradshaw. I think we have a better player there and he now has a chance to shine. A few goals in the next month and SSW will be a distant fond memory.

Armstrong and Bradshaw to start. Payne to come on and mix it up when needed (he's another who needs to get back to what he was doing early doors). Then maybe pick up a gem from lower leagues to polish in the background. It seems to work.

Gutted if he goes, moreso cos it's to 'them' and on the cheap, but lets wait for some announcement before bursting into tears.

4. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Forgive me but what was Payne doing "early doors"?

5. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is a most excellent post!

(forgotten how to "like".)

6. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Some good points there - I am going to wait until the 1st Feb before I throw my toys out
    I take issue that Armstrong is the replacement though - If anyone steps up I think it will be Bradshaw. Nothing I have seen from Armstrong so far tells me he is a 20 goals a season player.

7. Red

RedAllOver Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No, we're going down. Going to lose every game for the rest of the season 9-0 and the world's going to end!

In seriousness though I agree. Very disappointed but people are going over the top in what they are saying. Overly criticising the club when they don't know the true reasons behind the deal and the true figures. It's as if people have been waiting for an excuse to criticise and now all the pent up anger is being released. Winnall is a very good player but can be replaced and I look forward to seeing who we bring in to replace him

8. Loa

Load Bearing Pillar Well-Known Member

The West Stand, second along from the Ponty end
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's true that Wednesday play a far different style to us so it'll be interesting to see how he does. Badly hopefully.

9. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't disagree with much you have said but we will need to replace Winnall externally not look to a loanee, someone who has struggled with the transition from L1 and 2 lads who have never scored a professional goal. We need to show some ambition given the nasty taste this will leave.

10. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We won't. The money we get is to ensure a self sufficient future. The £18 million, at least, we will get this season from transfers guarantees the security of the club on its own two feet for many years to come. The side effect of course is that is easier to be self sufficient at a level lower than the Champ.

I think what hurts is the rude awakening from the dreaming, when reality was that we are a L1 club in the Championship. Being 8th and 4 points of the top 6 is an amazing achievement for all concerned.

11. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    IMHO he was looking the part? Strong and quick and had the fans onside ('cept for the miss against Hudds). But he looks to be taking his time to get back into it.

12. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    I dont agree - we are a championship club in the Championship - the second tier is our natural level.

13. tobyornottoby

tobyornottoby Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You keep saying we are a League 1 club but by what criteria do you conclude this?

If the sole determinant is now money, then money comes and goes and is unreliable - just cos the new owner's got £500m doesn't mean he'll spend it all on the club, nor that he'll hang around for any length of time.

If a billionaire takes Frickley over, are they suddenly a Premiership Club?

Attendance wise we are probably a Championship club.

History wise we are predominantly a Championship club.

14. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It was. But FINANCIALLY we are L1. Not saying we cannot compete, for at least a while as we've clearly done this season on the FIELD but this is very very difficult and when we do we are likely to get picked over as clubs can pay 4 and 5 times what we can in wages.

15. exiled

exiled Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Ambitionwise we are L1 at best

16. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't disagree historically but financially we are nowhere now. Not even close and the gulf is so much bigger than in the past.

17. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Sorry cocker but that's *****..............no matter how hard you try to dress it up.

Its simple - the message has gone out loud and clear from Oakwell that if you want to watch a local team with the better players then you are better off going to Hillsborough.
    So the young supporters thinking about going to a local match, maybe for the first time, need to take heed of this.

18. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's not a Minority Report.... This is a Minority Report.

I have deliberately refrained from posting over the last week, but I have read much of the rising tide of hysteria. Hysteria is a strong word, but I think it is appropriate. This morning I read threats that some individuals are about to withdraw their support, at least for the rest of the season. Others musing how the club could do this to us. Frankly, speaking as a fan of 50 years standing, hysteria is the only word I have to explain it.

Yesterday, there were calls for a statement from the club. A STATEMENT. The club does not need a statement. It has a policy, a corporate aim, a way of doing things. The policy has been explained to the fans, time after time after time. Personally, I have no difficulty in understanding it. The policy is, use our scouting system to identify and buy undiscovered talent cheaply and before other clubs have noticed, develop and improve said talent using our coaching staff and systems, sell said talent on at the top of the market. It is that simple.

In my 50 years, I have seen too many players come and go to even remember all of their names, but the one thing that I am sure of is that I do not have any loyalty to any of them. One thing I am sure of is that I support the football club, and not the individuals that make up its team for a short moment in time, its manager or even its owner. I support the team, and what is important is that decisions are taken to ensure that the team survives and thrives over the long term. Those decisions are driven, and will always be driven by a long term financial view. However much emotion the game attracts, it must be set aside, because finance is ultimately what drives the success of a football club. I am not interested how everyone feels emotionally because some star player is leaving in order to better himself, or secure his financial future, and ultimately neither is he. I am interested only in the future, who club will be signing as his replacement and how we will be improving that player and making him into the next big thing. Our club's policies are about the future, and in spite of my age, that is what interests me.

Finally, my Minority Reports have irritated many on here. They always seek to find ways to improve the team. They are never happy with the present. They always look towards the future. They shy away from emotion and concentrate on analysis. Many do not like them, and that is OK because football is an emotional game. Many will chose to exercise their emotions once more over the sale of a favourite player, and if that is what they want to do, then fine. But based upon pure footballing judgement (mine not anybody else's), there is not a player in our current team that gets into my best team of the last 50 years, even if I pick that team in the 4-4-2 system being employed currently, and that system is a long way from being a favourite. I know that my 50 years gives me a perspective that others do not have, but you will get over it. There will be new players, better players. Look forward with anticipation. Do not look back with regret.

19. Redstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There might be but then again it might take another 20 years.

20. scarf

scarf Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry Nudger, but THAT'S *****. Pure and unpolished. The whole of Sheffield must be chuckling at your tantrums.

Take a deep breath, calm down and stop 'yer flouncing. I'm sure we'll find out in due course what has happened and I'm equally sure that the club haven't just decided to press the self destruct button.

Have faith - in Patrick we trust!