pay our stars what their worth

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by red24/7, Jan 13, 2017.

1. red

red24/7 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    we have millions in the bank , give conor 20 grand a week , give players bigger win bonus, do what ever it takes for success ,the rest of the squad will realise that success gets them money and glory and the club money and glory,lets not let all our good work go down the pan ,by not paying as much as we can

otherwise change oakwell to the high street stadium ,because thats what we will become a shop window ,for the rest of the clubs to grab a bargain

2. Wil

WilthorpeTyke Active Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Were already paying as much as we can to our players, we don't have the income to sustain high levels of pay without going into debt, debt which has to be repaid at some stage. Patrick wont be around forever to pick up the pieces.
    We could go back to the boom and bust days if we wanted, but I for one don't want to see the club so near to folding altogether as we were pre Patrick

3. Cam

Cambridge Red Well-Known Member

Geek
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If it was me I'd put them all on a wage big enough to make them sign 2-3 year contracts...and then sell them for what they are really worth.

Monday:
    'Conner here's the 20K a week you can get elsewhere. We've also put in a buy out clause of £6M if prem come calling... sign here'
    Tuesday:
    'Steve [Bruce] you know you want to get back to the Prem (for the £100M kitty) we've got the man you need, he's available for £8M... of and he'll want £25K a week'
    'Cheers Hecky...I'll take it...still cheaper than Crainey @ Fulham...better stats too'

4. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Do you really want us to be another club that lives £100m's in debt just to try get to the promised land?

And how do you define paying a player what he's worth? If it's up to the player to value himself then they'll all be worth £20k a week minimum.

And TBH, we are currently paying our players what they were worth when they signed their contracts. Maybe we should have inserted clauses that they would get a rise when we went up, but I ain't no expert and don't know how these things work. If they signed a new contract now, they'd be asking for Champ wages, not L1 wages, which is only right. But to start paying them what we are not generating will just send us back down the slippery slope I'm afraid.

5. Ayl

Aylott Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'll just say Portsmouth, Coventry, Bolton, Blackburn, Blackpool and leave it at that.

6. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not ever do that incase we get relegated..

Sent from my 5051X using Tapatalk

7. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Trouble is it's a massive gamble....if the figures suggested are correct , Conor is wanting 30k and Sam 18k , 48k per week is a commitment of £8m on a 3 yr deal....if no club comes in with a megabucks deal we could be in a situation in 2.5 years time where we are now ....but having to balance that 8m investment against what we would get back....were either player to get injured or just lose form , the big transfers could well not be on the table . Add to that the destabilising influence on the rest of the squad who will no doubt want substantial wage rises and it could be a recipe for disaster ....the Club is sensibly run , over the last few years we've been the best or at least amongst the best run financially , it would be lunacy to jeopardise that .

8. gladius111

gladius111 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No no and no we have been down that road before and we're did we end up up ***** creek without a paddle. Yes it would be great to compete with multi billionaire owners that can pay players wat the want, we can't simple as that.
    The 20 million pound that is reportedly in the bank is to support the club's future.

9. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Speculate to accumulate n all that . That's just too sensible . If we get what they're worth no one would argue . We should have offered them longer contracts then we get market value .
    4m for Winnall........Happy days
    7m for Conor.....Happy days. Then we could reinvest properly for the likes of Morsy cos at the minute even that ongoing transfer is embarrassing. " Mr Morsy would you like to come to Barnsley?" ..."yes please" ...."well..you're gonna have to take a 4 grand a week pay cut " ....." no thanks" .

10. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't forget the wages are only part of the cost. Factor in pension contributions by the club, national insurance, bonuses etc and 20K per week soon becomes 25K+ per week, probably more.

I'm disappointed to see Winnall go, and will feel the same if/when Hourihane goes. Rarely do we see goalscorers and midfielders who have had the impact on our club they've had. Yep, it's galling that it's a rival club they've gone to.

I think the club will have to speculate a little more in terms of transfer fees and wages, but I honestly think that if the reported demands are correct, there was only one decision to make. I'm happy to say a thank you to them for what they've done at Barnsley and the part they've played over the last two and a half years. We were in a dire state when they joined.

The financial state of the club in 2002 is something I don't want to contemplate again.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

11. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We are NOT going to be using transfer income to subsidise increased wages that the club cannot afford to pay.

12. Cam

Cambridge Red Well-Known Member

Geek
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I have to say I think there's more upside than down with this. Even if we were to wait until the end of the summer to sell. I don't believe those wages are sustainable for a club like ours, but if the plan were to use it just to get more short term control for the club in order to have more bargaining power then what's the problem? I'm not advocating it for every player, but we obviously have/had some who would be in demand come the summer (Connor, Sam, Bree, Josh & Adam & Yaidom & Marc Roberts).

downside:
    increased cost for 6 months
    breaking wage structure which might break unity in squad ... but could also act as an incentive to other squad players

upside:
    better resale value
    higher position in table making us more attractive to potential signings
    higher gates & revenue
    time to sort out the contract situation
    time to source new targets
    avoid relegation
    potential play-offs

13. PLOBBY

PLOBBY Well-Known Member

keep yer nose out
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we cant afford to pay them now we never will .

14. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We may have some transfer money in the bank right now but if the club starts trying to compete with some other clubs in the wages market, then we'll fritter it all away in no time and end up back where we were last time we were in the Championship.

It would all be different if we had another 10,000 regular supporters at Oakwell, but that's not going to happen unless we get into the Prem and they'd soon disappear after relegation - just like last time.

The club has a hard-core support of 10,000. We have to live with that and cut our cloth accordingly.

Having said all that, it does hurt to sell players to the pigs at bargain prices like this.

15. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Erm... Shut up? :)

16. blivy

blivy Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So you saying throw money at the club to try and win promotion?

A strategy that we as fans look down upon when other clubs do it.

Not sure if serious.

17. red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

thank you for that well argued and reasoned reply

18. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nay bother. :D

19. red

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    you cant win on this site, "dont sell our top players", "dont pay them decent money", you cant have it both ways ,its like the end of your 0 percent interest card, is the end of a succesful players contract, you have to now pay up or let it go and get another card,youve had 3 years of cheap use, but everything comes to and end ,so its put up the cash or shut up

20. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why was there a maximum wage? To make it a level playing field. Since the Haynes & Eastham everything changed, making it nye impossible for a Burnley or an Ipswich to win the top division. Add Sky to the equation and.........