Cannot fault anyone for securing their future

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Dragon Tyke, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    not one person on here would pass off the chance to quadruple their salary, and anyone who says different are talking ******. If he had gone to another side other than a local rival or Bristol City then I think some peoples views would be a bit different. If his wage is indeed now 18k per week then over the three and a half years that's not far short of £4 million quid.... and with win bonuses, scoring bonuses and a signing fee then it most likely will have gone over the £4million mark. What lad on this earth would turn down that sort of money, and security for his family. He served us well and did us a good service. It sticks in the throat a little but good luck Sam.

2. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would. Genuinely. I could get a job on 4x my salary tomorrow, that's what I gave up at Easter. (I realise that mine and Sam's situations are different).

3. thetykester

thetykester Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Al talk ****** then, I am currently on minimum wage & love where I work, good set of lads & only 3 n afe miles from home. Anyone that offers me 4X as much money to move & guess what? ****** would be my reply. It's not all about money tha nuz , it's about contentment & well being, also happy with ones lot, tha full of ***** pal.

4. Mic

Michigan Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agreed, we also got significant add ons as well as the fee according to Hecky in his Player interview. He served us well with his goals, he had his faults and I trust Hecky will get it right with his recruiting, he has so far.

5. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    so if someone offered you ajob ...not too far from where you presently work...

a job that would ensure your future was safe and sound that you would not take it.... sorry fella the only one talking ***** is you.

6. thetykester

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: so if someone offered you ajob ...not too far from where you presently work...

I have just proved your statement on money wrong, how am I talking *****? In fact offer me 100x more & I would still say NO. Go on , why am I talking *****?

7. thetykester

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: so if someone offered you ajob ...not too far from where you presently work...

BTW, I wouldn't fault anyone for securing their future also.

8. W1z

W1zz Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If Sheffield Wednesday do go up this season (spit), do you think Sammy will be part of their plans? He'll be collateral, bought to weaken the side of a playoff rival. Cheaper and less riskier than paying big money on a big name for a promotion push.

9. thetykester

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Your silence speaks volumes.

10. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No just because you may be money motivated not everyone is.

Sam already was a higher rate tax payer with no concerns about money, living his childhood dream & idolised by thousands.

It matters massively that it was a local rival. For me, if my bosses had a rival company that they hated who were nearby offering me more money I wouldn't go. If it's a completely random company with no connection e.g a Villa or Norwich you don't feel guilty.

It's about decency. I guess Sam doesn't have much of it.

Sam's an Arsenal fan, if Alexis Sanchez goes to Chelsea or Spurs Sam would be calling him every name going.

11. thetykester

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Too right owd warrior

12. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Liked and respected!

13. AthersleyRed

AthersleyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What about Norman Rimmington? Was he talking ***** when he said he wouldn't go to Leeds when Clarke begged him?

14. Merde Tete

Merde Tete Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I see what you're saying mate, but the difference between £4000 a week and £18,000 a week really is life-changing. On the former, fantastic salary that it is, you're still likely to need to work after your football career is over. Three years on the latter - you're pretty much set up for life.

15. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ^^^^this^^^^.

I'm not particularly motivated by money but money that completely change your life is different. If Sam lived within his current means and banked the rest saving 10 grand a week he would have no money worries ever again. He can do what he wants when he leaves football. Retire if he wants. That's different.

16. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Winnall lives in Leeds , prob payed for house with signing on fee .

17. tingleytyke

tingleytyke Well-Known Member

Used to be Shift Engineer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nobody can be faulted for bettering their wage if it's on the general employees terms. However Winnall has signed a contract to play football for Barnsley fc till the end of this season. As football is people move about within contracts to the benefit of both parties. I am sure in this case the club would have preferred him to see out the second half of the the season and then be free to move wherever he wanted with the clubs blessing. But in Sam's case it was about "me" and "me" only. Sod the contract, sod the wishes of the club it's about "me and money".

I suppose some people think Sir Philip Green did the right thing milking BHS to look after his future and I'm sure if Sam were on the titanic in 1912 he would have been first in the lifeboat.

There are honorable ways of persuing prosperity in life and there are the "Philip Green" ways. Sam fits the latter, me me fecking me.

18. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    .....but we all know what the culture of football and footballers is. Look at Costa. Just doing what Sam has on a different scale. Pushing to go and manufacturer a move, increase his salary to the detriment of the standard of football ��

The thing I hate when it's mentioned is "footballers have short careers so need the money now". What a false and arrogant comment when it's used. Footballers have the privilege of earning significantly much more money in their first 15 years of their career than any of us. Then they can go on and carry on working till they are 65 doing similar jobs to other people. No different and something that shouldnt be seen as a no go area for footballers as if life after football doesn't exist.

I know people who have become millionaires overnight through their work endeavours and skills and then chosen to carry on working for the same salary as before because they like their jobs and challenge of working their role. Money is one factor in people's hierarchy of needs and will change as life develops.

19. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The point about it been a short career was much more important years ago when wages were lower & the English game had barely any foreigners.

Nowadays because of all the foreigners in the top 2 English leagues any players virtually guaranteed a career as a coach or pundit if they want it

20. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Very true. Plus the higher salaries and earnings kick in earlier these days than in the past and sponsorship offers a bigger earnings range.