Perspective

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by 55&counting, Jan 18, 2017.

1. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's been 56 of my 61 years now and I still feel like that 5 year old lad that stood on the beer crate that my Dad took to my first few games so I could see over the old Kop wall. With my Dad and my Grandad the bond that was created as I grew up and went to Oakwell could not have been stronger. To that end I know in my blood that I had the best upbringing ever. As my grandad was having a heart attack in the second half of a Tuesday night home game against Grimsby he said to me "Dunt worry ****. Thee stay un whatch rest ut match." I did and then went to see him that night and the first thing he said to me was "wot wor scooa?"
    My beautiful Dad is buried in Monk Bretton. Same graveyard as Tommy Taylor. Dad picked the plot. From his grave one can see, in all its glory, South Yorkshire's Theatre of dreams. When I go see him he joins me in spirit as we gaze over at Oakwell and think of all the good times, and bad.
    There is a point to my rambling. It's not nostalgia for the sake of nostalgia. It's about putting things in perspective and not forgetting our roots and not forgetting who we are.
    In this town at our club I like to think that the majority of us find strength in adversity. For those of us that don't ( and unfortunately there are quite a few on here) I would urge you to please please GET THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE. Font size 72 in bold. By the way, the upper case signifies me shouting at you.
    For those of you who have persevered with me so far I thank you. Sitting here in an Irish bar (business) sipping on red wine and reading all the crud on this wonderful old board has been the catalyst for venting my feelings. Oh and The Staves are on. Mellow.
    In any case the whole damned point of this post is to say, again, get things in perspective. The arguments have been run and run on here. We all do really know the position we are in. Small club, overachieving, money spoiling the game, obscene wages, not a level playing field etc etc etc. That's how it is unfortunately. We just have to move on. As footballers say these days, "We go again". I trust the club to get us through this. I trust the club to make the right decisions. They've not made many wrong uns this last 12 months. Most of all I trust Hecky. In my lifetime, THE best manager we have ever had. I trust the club because I have no reason not to. I thank them for turning it all around.
    So, for Hecky's sake why don't you all calm down and see where he can take us next. Jesus Christ, if Adam, Breezy, Robbo, Angus, Josh, Conor and Marley all went in this window it would be catastrophic. However it wouldn't be terminal. We would build again. Because that's what we do. As Whitey has said previously, all this speculation and interest is down to the fact that we are a well run, high performance football club being run on a, relatively speaking, shoestring budget. Go compare.
    Per fckin spec fckn tive!

2. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So in brief, don't panic because things were worse 56 years ago? Alreight.

3. Sel

Selby Red Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good post Steve did your granddad have a heart attack because he had to carry a beer crate to the match so you could stand on it, wooden beer crates in them days were heavy!

4. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good post. I could hear Grimethorpe Band as I read it. Good message.

5. Shy Talk

Shy Talk Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No. Dont panic because far worse things have happened in those 56 years and the club is still here.

6. 55&counting

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Great put down.
    Sarcasm.....highest form of wit and the finest form of attack by the ones with the biggest brains.
    I think you're missing the point I was trying to make......probably because I was getting too emotional. My fault.
    Or "my bad" as "the kids" say "these days".
    Think what you like but please don't confuse me with someone who gives a **** about your opinion on this.

7. Shy Talk

Shy Talk Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sorry. Reply to Conan.

8. YTB

YTBFC Guest

I won't bother bumping the myriad posts of yours that qualify this question, but can I ask why you never posted on the evening of our 4-3 win at Cardiff?

9. 55&counting

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jeffrey!!!!
    No. Grandad drank the beer. Dad carried the crate.
    Jumpers for goalposts. When men were men and the sheep were frightened.

10. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Because he was out celebrating the win and in any case it was hardly worth the aggro was it?

No one is happier than Conan that Williams seems to have come through his troubles and is now, in Ryan's own words, able to contribute.

11. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What the chuff does that have to do with owt?

12. YTB

YTBFC Guest

So why doesn't he post that then, rather than you?

He's always been a bit doom and gloom. I like it. It adds to the flavour of the forum. Never met him, but he makes me chuckle at times. Just wish he'd add some humility and acceptance to his repartee now and again.

Ive met you mate, and even though you disappeared off the forum for a spell last year, you've always been quite reasoned in your musings. But recently you've upped your postings and they're very critical.

Maybe some folk only feel a need to contribute in perceived darker times. I dunno.

The year of 2016 was magical. But the reaction to it was quite limited I feel. Yet as soon as things are 'allegedly' not so good, the reaction is unreal. Is it something about human beings, perhaps? Again, dunno.

13. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What a smashing post, I love it.
    The bit about "Sitting here in an Irish bar (business) sipping on red wine" sounds like a man prepared to make sacrifices for a professional cause!:D:D
    Once again, old mate, great post.
    'Like'

14. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sounds like you're still a bit emotional. It wasn't sarcasm. That's how I interpreted your post. Things may have been worse in 1962 or 1973, they have also been better than they are now. Don't you find it galling that this squad could have been on the brink of achieving something and now risks being dismantled? If not that's up to you. I want more than a club that just exists.

15. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Context.

If you're going to persist in your negative undertones in response to anything positive, then it seems only fair contextually to remind folk that you hammered Ryan Williams incessantly for over a year then posted nothing the day he scored our winner at Cardiff.

In other words, none of us know owt. Let us support and see.

FTR, your literal support is unquestionable and I appreciate your opinions. But sometimes you just take a big defeatist **** on others' threads.

16. Con

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Come on, people would have been calling me a stinking hypocrite. I will say he did quite well at Fulham and there is no way I would have taken him off for Moncur.

17. YTB

YTBFC Guest

I wouldn't. I'd have took my hat off. I was praying you would post something that night. But you did a Hemsy.:eek:

18. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cos he is my mate. I know how he feels and what he thinks on it. He does not need me to defend him like but still...

I don't think I'm being that critical? I've pointed out, a lot, to folk that how I think incoming monies wil be spent. That is not a criticsim per se just how I see things.

I'm dissapointed that we have not recruited Morsy and I'm concerned that we are very light in terms of personnel.

The last 12 months have been the best that many of us have ever seen or likely will ever see. It hurts when we are so close to achieving even more to have reality bite, it really does. The utter futility of trying to compete financially has been laid bare. All we can do is keep on keeping on and hope that what has happened before in terms of recruitment and moreimprtantly coacking and getting them ready to play at this level carries on.

I've contributed more in the last few days as there has been a lot to contribute on! The board in general has been quiet and not because no-one wants to say how good we have been but because it would be a bit dull to see total agreement all the time. We are in extraordinary times and even the Head Coach says what we do in this window will say a lot about where we are at.

If you feel I'm being very critical, tell me where and I'll consider my position and stance. A lot of it, and I'm not alone here, is gallows humour!

19. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He only posts negitivity I noticed that last season

20. 55&counting

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not attempting to be emotional.
    It's just the way things come out when trying to make a point........point being that there have been worse times than this. I know you get that. I interpreted your post as sarcastic cos that's how it seemed.
    Of course I find it galling. I think we've built something really special and I do not want to see it dismantled . I want more than a club that just exists also. I'm in violent agreement with you. We just have to find a way to the next level by tweaking the existing model. Don't know the way forward cos I'm not in possession of all the facts. The point is, if we can get the same level of commitment which has brought us to where we are, then we will be able to continue building.
    The club I support is the one which aspires to improve. I still dream of following our team into the Europe. The day i stop dreaming about what we can achieve on our meagre resources is the day i stop following our wonderful club.
    Up the bloody buggering reds .