Hourihane theory

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by SirPsychoSexy, Jan 21, 2017.

1. SirPsychoSexy

SirPsychoSexy Banned Idiot

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    My feeling is that Conor doesn't want to leave the club because he is happy with us and the way he and the team are performing. He's got it good here, fans favourite, captain, team playing great football.
    But obviously his mind is taking an hammering with all these rumours and the daft 28k a week he could potentially earn. Where that figure has come from and how is beyond me. I bet he's not getting much sleep with it all running through his mind.
    Clearly the club haven't accepted a bid yet, and fortunately for us so far Conor has conducted himself impeccably.
    Obviously i am biased and i think he should see the season out with us and see where we end up. At this stage we have a better chance at sneaking in the play off's than Villa do, and i'm fairly certain premier league clubs are taking an interest.

Either way, he has cemented his place in Barnsley folklore and is a true Barnsley legend.

2. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My theory is Conor fully intends to leave the club he just doesn't want to leave for Villa. I think he's desperately hoping that either a Premiership side or a promotion contender come in for him, but if he does have to go to Villa then it's better than nowt.

3. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think you're probably right. Can't fault the lad's attitude in the middle of all this, he's never let the side down and the way he had a go at Kent in the first half speaks volumes. He'll go but I just hope the club gets a decent amount for him.

4. Ayl

Aylott Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I find the whole situation very difficult to read. I have seen nothing from him in the last 3 weeks to suggest he is keen to leave. His performances and demeanour actually indicate the opposite. I think if you were to ask him, he would say he'd rather not be in this position at all. I think his heart says stay but his head cannot ignore the offer of what amounts to a lottery win. I think the club involved would not be his first choice by any means, he wants to play at the highest level and it's a long shot that Villa will get promoted. He may think we have as much chance.
    From the club's point of view, they will have a minimum price in mind and after the Winnall debacle, are now going to play hard ball with all suitors. It really depends on survival is still the primary objective or whether they are seriously thinking the play offs are a realistic and desirable possibility. I think, particularly after today, the former is all but assured and they no longer need Hourihane to ensure survival. If the focus is upwards then he is unquestionably required. In that case maybe some 'loyalty bonus' should be considered. For Hourihane to be interested in this approach, it all depends on how confident he feels about getting a Premier League club in the summer or at least PL wages.
    It's impossible to know of course what everyone is thinking and what will happen. What I do know, this supporter of 55 years regards him as one of our all time greats, something I haven't been able to say for many years. I will be gutted when he leaves.

5. Plankton Pete

Plankton Pete Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I just think he's a professional bloke who is comfortable in his own skin enjoying his football. He knows he's going to earn life changing sums of money after his next move. He's in no rush next week or next season, he doesn't mind. I'd not be surprised if he went to Celtic in the summer, he's a fan, he will earn a figure comparable with the one quoted for Villa and he'll get the chance to play in Europe.

6. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can see the appeal going to Celtic would have for him but he's better than the SPL and deserves to be playing in a much better league. He will end up in the premier league.

7. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A loyalty bonus / retention payment to entice him to stsy until the end of the season and then he might have the pick of a number of clubs. Including us

8. Feffered

Feffered Well-Known Member

Training manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He isn't a legend....... If he stays then maybe he can sneak into the legendary band........ At the moment, he definitely does not slip into oakwell legendary status..... Imho of course

9. SirPsychoSexy

SirPsychoSexy Banned Idiot

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    I'll hazard a guess that he's not 100% sure about a move to Villa, therefore I think it's in his best interests to stay, be patient, and see out his contract if need be to make sure he goes to the right club for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Everything I hear about Villa convinces me it's just so the wrong place to go for him.

They aren't going up, play dull football (any number of Villa fans saying he's too good a footballer for them) and Bruce is in despair at what he's inherited.

Apparently McCormack rarely turns up for training, for example, his latest excuse was that he lost the key to his gate!

Conor knows that Prem clubs will be in for him in the summer, so please mate, finish the journey with us where you're loved and revered and you play your best stuff and get the right move for yourself into a good Prem club from a position of strength then.

11. Voi

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If Conor stays with us, WE can be genuine promotion contenders. If he goes, any hope of reaching the pay-offs will be gone too, in my opinion.

12. Gre

GreenyTyke Well-Known Member

Layabout
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    With Celtic though he can play Champions League football and also their his team him being a catholic from Ireland, doubt it matters to him that most SPL sides would struggle in League 2

13. W1z

W1zz Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Slightly off topic. But is he no longer knocking off Miss UK (Shelby)? Not that I'm interested like, but Conor is a handsome chap lol.

Follow them both on twitter, but since the trophy wins last season, there doesn't seem to be any interaction (on social media) between them.

14. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I love Conor. That's my theory.

15. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Would have thought a premiership team would be after conor , too good for villa and fingers crossed he stays with us

16. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He's at a promotion contender

17. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My thinking is that we have to consider 3 angles.

Firstly we as the club with Conor under contract have to accept a bid that suits the club. I don't believe Conor will do a Sam, throw his teddy out, withdraw from the clubs activities, dislike the fans and manoeuvre a way out. We have to accept an offer and this is the first step in what happens next. So whatever we think of Conors desires we have a say in if he goes or doesn't.

Secondly a club has to want him, bid for him and then find a package that is attractive to him. Villa are a big club, spend heavily on wages and should be able to offer the 25-30K mark that he will aim for if he leaves.

From his perspective he may be in a better position at the season end. If he does leave i think he will look at his ambition and the clubs opportunities alongside his wages. He is a winner and a honourable professional so i don't see that changing. Clubs will be able to dangle a signing fee and salary and as there are no transfers to take into account, the competition between clubs wanting him can only serve his needs and financial position better.

I think we all have to understand that point one seems to have been triggered

18. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    I have no idea but I think he is happy here and enjoying his football.
    My theory is He has a tempting offer to increase his salary significantly but his heart isn't really in it. I think he has one of those head or heart decisions to make. I genuinely think he would prefer to stay with us and see what happens this season and the make a decision in the summer, unless a prem club or possibly Brighton or Newcastle showed interest, but the prospect of a £5million contract today rather than possibly more jam tomorrow is giving him a dilemma.

i have no idea what he will do but the longer he is here the more hopeful I will become.

19. Bizarro

Bizarro Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's Tranvision Vamp v The Wonderstuff int it.

'I Want Your Love'(Barnsley) v 'Its Yer Money I'm After Baby' (Villa)

20. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wendy James could convince me to stay put, whatever I'm being offered... :)