Force the panic buy

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by redarmychris, Jan 22, 2017.

1. redarmychris

redarmychris Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There is absolutely no reason to sell Hourihane this week. This month maybe, but certainly not next week.

Before I go further if Connor leaves I wish him all the best. He's given his all for the club and risked injury and even suspension last night battling it out for a massive 3 points against Leeds.

Back to the sale. If Steve Bruce or any other interested club want Hourihane THIS season then they should be forced into over paying for them.

For me the bench mark is £3 million. Thats an absolute minimum. Steve Bruce rated Lansbury at £3 million so why not Connor. I actually think £5 million would be fair.

If Bruce or Villa are unwilling to pay us the same as they did for Lansbury then that is insulting to Conor. That is Bruce saying sorry Connor you're not as good as Lansbury.

We've got to force the price up here. We're surely not that desperate for £1-2 million baring in mind we have other players ready to make us big profit.

The way he's going they'll be other clubs thinking look this guy can guarantee us the playoffs lets get him in. His value went up again last night and after the Rotherham game it can only increase further.

We hold all the cards here. Clubs are desperate for a player in form. We're not desperate for the cash. Or I dont think we are. Lets force the price up.

Best centre midfielder in the Championship. Lets get a value that matches that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree and don't forget plymouth have a sell on clause too

3. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree, but I think it comes down to what the player wants in the end - if he tells the club he wants to go then fair enough. I know he's under contract, but I reckon he's earned a move if he wants it and we get good money.

It's a credit to him that we don't already know what he wants though, isn't it? Everybody knew that Sam wanted out but Conor really seems to like being here - if he does want to go and is just waiting for the club to agree terms then he's being very professional about the whole thing.

4. redarmychris

redarmychris Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree that Connor has earnt his move.

But surly we can say sorry Connor they're not giving us fair value. Connor surly cant begrudge the club for wanting a fair value whilst the club who want him aren't actually willing to pay a big fee for him. Like I said Bruce is in effect saying Hourihane is a worse player than Lansbury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think we should hold out for 3 million at the same time it seems churlish to deny Conor a move if he wants to leave given his performances and leadership. It's a countdown conundrum.

6. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can't see why he would want to

move to Villa tbh, yes they may be offering bigger wages but they could easily be stuck in the championship for a while, he could surely manage a move to the Prem, if we were really, really lucky to a team who would lend him back for the rest of the season.
    Got to say though if at all possible I would keep him for as long as possible even with a short term wage increase

7. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We hold very few cards, unless he signs a contract. He doesn't really owe us anything, but if he signs for another year, I can't see that harming his earning power come the summer.

8. Marlon

Marlon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    The result at the NYS next week could have a big bearing on a few decisions next week imo.

9. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Panic on the streets of Sheffield
    Panic on the streets of Birmingham
    I wonder to myself
    Could life ever be sane again?
    The Leeds side-streets that you score down
    I wonder to myself

Hopes will rise at the Oakwell
    Cos’ Hourihane, you're so safe here
    Contract run down
    To the delight of the Tarn

But there's panic on the streets of Reading
    Brighton, Derby, Newcastle
    I wonder to myself

Burn down the Villa
    Hang the blessed LJ
    Because the football that they constantly play
    It says nothing to me about my life

10. Til

Tilertoes Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think Connor can play in the premier league now. If he went to villa then that's 8 months away at best. I don't think they'll go up though and are they really nailed on to go up next year in front of potentially Sunderland, hull, Swansea,Norwich, dirty Leeds, reading,Fulham etc? I'm not so sure

11. Voi

Voice of Reason Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we are thinking we might sell him, then I completely agree with you. However, I'd prefer it if he stayed. There is a genuine chance that WE could make the play-offs IF he stays. In the admittedly unlikely event that we get promoted (which is supposedly worth £100 million), there is surely a reasonable chance that he would then stay with us for our assault on the Premier League.

12. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We don't need to sell him now, and therefore (if he wishes) he goes at the end of the season. With the cash we have accrued this season there is no need to transfer him. OK the wining member left us, but as far as Roberts, Bree, Hourihane and co. We should retain until the final match in Newcastle.