This time last year...

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Johnny the tyke, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Joh

Johnny the tyke Well-Known Member

Beer Baron
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We ended 2015 rock bottom of league 1, out of the FA cup and breaking record for longest run of consecutive losses in Reds history. Despite this we stood firm and stood by manager Lee Johnson.

Even the optimist's amongst us we resigned to the fact that we heading for the trap door and most likely be playing in L2 2016/17 season. To add insult to injury we also lost key players Ben Pearson (loan) and Reece Wabara. Could it get much worse! Just as we thought heads would drop we picked up a couple of results with a thread bare squad, then added Josh Brownhill, Ashley Fletcher, Aidy White and Adam Hammill. Comments on threads were pretty negative (now theres a surprise) who the heck is this Brownhill kid if he's not good enough for PNE how will he cut it here, Ashley Fletcher we need experience not an unknown kid from man united, White ok but injury prone, and Hammill past his best... Add to that Isgrove was getting slaughtered, because he doesn't offer team anything or score enough goals, and George Williams young kid who hasn't had a kick.

The results kept coming. But then another kick in teeth! despite standing by LJ he didn't stick by us and off he went to Bristol. In came Hecky. We need experience they said. Shows what we know!

Hecky has been a breath of fresh air and the memories that followed in 2016 and inspirational turn around that season will never be forgotten or perhaps ever repeated. We lost a couple of players that we thought we key. But they were replaced by others who soon settled and made us better in the long run. Some unknown talents, others who had been written off stepped up and surprised us all with the quality and spirit.

This transfer window we will no doubt lose a few keys players. But we are a tight unit, others will come in and pick up where they left off. I hope to see some of the raw talent we have kick on second half of the season and like just like Isgrove, Williams, Brownhill, and Fletch did for this time last year. I hope Kent, Bradshaw, Armstrong, Payne, Williams, Jones and others come in and show us what they have got!!

COME ON YOU REDS!!!

In Hecky we trust

2. DJtyke

DJtyke Member

Self employed
    Absolutely spot on that Johnny

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

3. AthersleyRed

AthersleyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This yime last year i was gutted about not taking my niece and nephew to the match for the first time in about 5 matches. We won 6-1. Typical!!

4. Joh

Beer Baron
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Loved giving baldy mourinho a beating...

5. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good post.

6. Joh

Beer Baron
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    With latest rumours regards Marley. I would be proper gutted if he did hand in a transfer request and leave us. But remember he started the run last year, but missed most of it due to injury. Like all departures, and pending player departures if I had the choice I would want to keep them. We are BARNSLEY FC, what ever player decides to leave us, we move on, we will survive, and the next star will develop and take their place!

As above last year we felt like we couldn't get any lower and key players left to be replaced by unknowns. But we pulled together and proved that if we play as a team we achieve more, no big ego's or superstars. Just a talented group who work hard for each other.

Remember when we signed them we thought who is Marley who? Adam Davies? Connor Hourihane? Gus MacDonald? Josh Scowen? Brownhill? Hammill (first time around!)? Nardiello? Waring? Long? Ashley Fletcher? All proved to be super signings... bring on the next crop of stars!

Could it be the return of John O'Sullivan (Free Agent), Stevie Mallan (Midfielder - St Mirren), Aaron Pierre (Centre Back - Wycombe), Omar Bogle (Striker - Grimsby), Ryan Ledson (Midfield - Oxford), Scott Kaskhet (Striker - Wycombe), Ollie Watkins (Striker - Exeter), Joey O'Brien (Fullback - Free agent), Diego Poyet (Free Agent), Bradley Dack (Midfield - Gillingham), Gboly Ariyibi (Midfield - Chesterfield), Paddy Madden (Forward - S****horpe), Marcus Maddison (Midfield - Peterborough).... or a loan star from a premier league academy... Will Kent, Armstrong, Moncur, Bradshaw kick on, or one of the academy boys come in to surprise us just like Stones, Butterfield, Holgate and Bree all did in recent times.

We are in the top 8 of the Championship, only 4 wins away from securing survival with 19 games to go... We just beat the in form team in the championship Leeds and we are 5 points above money bags Villa. I remember last time we were in the championship there were very few players in our squad that were on the other teams radars. The fact other teams want our players, is a huge compliment to the hard work and recent success we have had.

Long live KING Hecky and long may he rein!

COME ON YOU REDS!