Struggling to break through the 11,500 barrier.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Stamfordtyke, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Stamfordtyke

Stamfordtyke Active Member

Full time Barnsley supporter
    Stamford, Lincs. Born n dragged up in Thurnscoe
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Really surprised we are struggling to get through the 11,500 home support unless local rivals or Newcastle etc.

Have we reached the limit what people can pay for this area ??

2. RASCAL

RASCAL Member

I think 10'000 is a cracking crowd for a club in our situation to be honest anything better is a massive bonus.

3. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    so far our games are averaging above the 14k attendance mark

we are by no means the worst supported team in the division.

4. Red

Redbrook red New Member

I believe it's purely down to the pricing policy of the club this season,they know they can over charge the away fans and still get good away support in the ground.If we had done what Huddersfield did regarding season ticket pricing we would have 15000 home fans every game

5. Stamfordtyke

Stamfordtyke Active Member

Full time Barnsley supporter
    Stamford, Lincs. Born n dragged up in Thurnscoe
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: so far our games are averaging above the 14k attendance mark

I`m not complaining, I`m just pointing out our home gates, we were nearly at this level when we came out of the old 4th Div with Clarkey.

6. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    There's always going to be a saturation point. I genuinely think this club will only regularly pull 15,000+ crowds if we are fighting at the top of this division for automatic promotion. People will make the effort to come out and support us if they feel we've got a big chance of winning.

Although as a percentage of the towns population, I think we're one of the better supported teams in the division, if not the best. I haven't done the leg work on that mind, it is pure guess work.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

7. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We'd get closer to 18k if regularly challenging the top of the table I think.

8. hav

havana red1 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Will do at these prices: natural inflation pre-sky we should be paying 14 quid.

9. Hud

Huddersfield Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I'm not sure we would even then. Would be interesting to know if the Huddersfield/Bradford policy is worth following.

10. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Absolutely.

I used 15,000 purely because that appears to be the average we've attracted against the bigger clubs this season.

I'd love to see us chasing automatic promotion in this division for 2 reasons mainly. 1) I can barely remember the last time as I was 7. 2) Oakwell being packed week in week out would be fantastic.

11. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

That's the bit that must be most difficult for the club. Fans only turning up when we're on the brink of doing something good.

After last season and two visits to Wembley, plus being in the top half of the table for the best part of this season, you would have thought it would grab the imagination a little bit earlier.

We can all see what the club is achieving on a week to week basis, and although we probably won't make the play offs, we can finish in a very respectable position, and most of us will have felt glad we subscribed to it and saw it unfold.

Not everyone's the same unfortunately. I know dozens of reds fans that don't attend regularly for various reasons, we probably all do and collectively that's a heck of a lot of empty seats.

Somewhere along the line, Leeds and Wednesday fans started to get a hard on about crowds. It's all they talk about, and bearing in mind they win bugger all, being in a bigger crowd is pretty much all they go for. Maybe we should adopt a similar attitude?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

12. RASCAL

RASCAL Member

You can subscribe to Sky & BT sports, and have broadband for around £90 a month, that's about three home games for one person, your whole family can watch in one week upwards of 10 top standard football matches, as well as all the other sports that interest you, if you have choose between having entertainment day in day out or three times a month, for the same money, BFC are on to a hiding to nothing, luckily I can afford both but if I ever had to choose I'd pick tv and Internet and a BFC player subscription listen the games live and watch the full match replays the day after. I would imagine others do the same.

13. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I suppose everyone has their own right to attend when they want. I understand some people work weekends. I used to be in the same boat, it was the only 6 months in the last 20 years that I haven't had a season ticket. Some simply can't afford it; Something else I fully sympathise with. It's the reason why I don't go away from home, and to be fair, I barely manage to scape together the £300 for a season ticket. In the same sense, some will only attend if we appear likely to win I reckon. Again, their perogative.

There probably was an increase at the start of the season. More casual fans began attending more regularly, and I think the pick 6 thing probably worked as well, but a lot will have used those now (or are saving their last ones for Wednesday and Huddersfield). Our season has been levelling out since the new year really. We will finish in a respectable position, which sadly probably isn't enough to keep some casual supporters turning up.

I listen to Radio Sheffield quite often, even the Wednesday faithful aren't turning out in "massive" numbers week in week out, only really when there's an offer on. One was talking about their crowd last week been as low as 24,000. That's twice our attendance from yesterday, for a City which all in all (including the entire metropolitan area) has a population more than 6 times that of Barnsley.

14. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ben Mansford said to do the Huddersfield offer we'd need 18-19k season pass holders to make up for less pay on the day money, extra stewarding/policing costs etc so basically sell out the home ends on season passes like when in the premier league.

15. MonkeyRed

MonkeyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When you consider our metropolitan borough has a population of around 200,000, a regular home support of 11,500 is outstanding.

When you consider a one club city like Leeds, who have a population of a million and average 26,000 this year, we are incredibly well supported. Leeds actually do really poorly given the size of the place.

I reckon pound for pound Derby are probably the best supported club based on size of the town. Although to do it properly you'd have to look at a load of information on catchment area and the amount of local competitors for support.

16. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We had over 12k home fans against reading eatier on in the season at 23 quid a ticket let's be right not many were going to pay 30 quid to watch us play Brighton I even lent my season pass out because of work ties looking forward to the derby next satdi though

17. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The prices will prevent us getting more than 12,000 ish home fans on a regular basis even if we were challenging for the promotion. Certainly this season with what happened in the transfer window I think a lot of people have the idea that now we are safe from relegation we have effectively given up so there's little chance of attracting the floating voters

18. Spirit Ditch

Spirit Ditch Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Is that a guess?Often wonder what the price inflated from the 80s without sky would be

19. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Don't forget our home record this year is not one to really encourage many new people. If it wasn't for our away form we might be looking at a totally different scenario,
    Haven't we lost more at home than we've won? (not sure)

20. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Very good point mate, and compared to away games the atmosphere is quite flat at oakwell.

I always think it's a bit chicken and egg at home. Fans get the players going and vice versa. Sometimes it's like each is waiting for the other and not much happens.

Suppose it's same with most home crowds though.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk