John stones

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Scholesisgod, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Sch

Scholesisgod Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Are we all still wearing rose tinted glasses with this boy or dare we admit that the Money us and Everton got was an absolute steal

2. Get

Getrammellon Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Good timing Stonesy lad ha ha

3. Sch

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oh yeah that makes up for everything absolute *****

4. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agenda?

5. Get

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd say being at fault for conceding a goal and then going up other end and scoring kind of does make amends.

6. RASCAL

RASCAL Member

I've said it for a long time, he's a defender that can't defend, how he's got to the level he's at I'll never know but good luck to the lad.

7. Get

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    By the way Ironicaly Paul Scholes is Agnostic

8. Old

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    A lot of good judges think otherwise.

9. RASCAL

RASCAL Member

Like who ?, I can't recall any one complimenting him on his defending at the level he's at now for a long time, he gets praised for his footballing ability and the fact he can drive out from the back, and ping the ball about, but I'm genuinely struggling to recall him being praised for his defending in the last 18 months. Can recall quite a few instances where he's been highlighted for poor decisions and terrible defending thought.

10. Old

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You are probably right.

11. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Done brilliant to get a move there, make the England set up and get a massive wage that sets him up for life. Great credit to tarn and himself for all he's achieved. Only downside is he doesn't seem to have improved by much if at all with his defending since his Everton days. Still think we will see him partner Mawson in the England central defence before long though :D

12. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Go on then, I'll play devil's avocado because I refuse to admit that a lad from Barnsley isn't up to the hype.

He hasn't become a bad player overnight, I refuse to accept that, and prior to his head being turned by Chelsea interest about 18 months ago, he was an exceptional player.

Taking pundits and the media out of the equation, he's obvious rated by some or else he wouldn't be where he is; Pep Guardiola and Jose Mourinho both seem to rate him or else why would either try to sign him and let's be fair, they're 2 of the best managers in world football.

I can't comment on last night's game as I didn't see it, but the problem I have is that Stones' flaws and failings often get magnified by the media as he's an easy target; he's a £50 million defender for crying out loud. Yet they are very reluctant to praise him when he has in fact done something right; one instance I recall is that game for Everton against Swansea, where Stones was controlling the ball inside his own 6 yard box to try and beat the Swansea attacker. He had just about got around their lad when the referee awarded him a free kick. John reacted to jeers from the crowd and he got absolutely panned for the incident. Despite the fact that he'd not put a foot wrong in the rest of the match. He didn't do anything wrong in that particular instance either, he'd merely acted on the instructions of Martinez to try and play out from the back in every instance.

I remember another instance where he put in a great blocking challenge when his opponent was on the counter, and in the paper the day after, the take was credited to Phil Jagielka.

I do agree that some of us in Barnsley look at John with rose tinted spectacles on; he's the first Barnsley lad to play for England in donkeys years. But I think some of the stick he receives from the media is often unwarranted and very disproportionate.

Btw I'm just putting that out there in the interest of creating debate and an alternative opinion.

Sent from space using satellites and things

13. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Otemendi was by far the worse defender on the pitch last night even city fans where I'm working say same.

14. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ive heard several commentators state that Stones is the future of England and compliment his overall play but then I don't just hear what I want to hear to further my agenda.

15. AthersleyRed

AthersleyRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The media and pundits will make people believe anything. On the one hand they tell us that this Stones is just another average overpriced peasant risen from the ranks, whilst for the last 15 years telling us that Wayne Rooney is the saviour of English Football

16. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    confirmation bias.

whatever your opinion you will dig up something to justify this. all a load of balls let the lad play football.

17. BMW

BMW Member

retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For me he's the best young English defender in the Premiership and he will go on to captain England for many years to come.Some media and "Brian the Blade" have been singing the praises of Harry McGuire for me its like comparing a thoroughbred and a carthorse.

18. Mat

Mateo Corbo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Stop talking daft. Rooney gets an horrific time off the press.

19. Sch

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Harry McGuire can defend and bring the ball out too surrounded by better players I'm sure he'd improve more John stones hasn't improved in 18 months now
    Decision making poor at times too

20. Dja

Django Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's a massive agenda not just against Stones but against Guardiola & the way he's trying to change the way City play football.

The media can't wait to slate both of them every opportunity they get. They're dying to see Guardiola fail.

A new managers took over trying to play a different kind of football, all of his full backs are over 30, the captain & main centre back who both Stones & Otamendi could do with playing alongside is almost permanently injured & Stones himself is only 21 & still learning. The only decent defensive midfielder they have has spent half of the season suspended & was playing left back last night. It's not exactly a good environment for a centre back to look a million dollars.

They want judging next season when he's got his own defence in place.

It's a lot easier to look good in a team that play safer football. Look at Lovren, quality at Southampton but then you take away the two holding midfielders from in front of him when he joined Liverpool & he struggled badly.

If you put Stones into the current Man Utd or Chelsea sides then he'd look a lot better because he'd have more protection.

So needs to improve but also has it a lot harder than other English centre backs around the national team.