Nardiello debut

Discussion in 'Barnsley FC Memories' started by Guest, May 22, 2006.

1. Gue

Guest Guest

Having arrived in the UK at the end of November 2003, I was taken to my first Barnsley game on 17/1/2004. This was an unexciting 1-1 draw with Bournemouth but I was impressed enough to go to the next home game:

27/1/04 Barnsley v Blackpool

The buzz had already begun to circle Oakwell that the Reds had managed to get a young striker on loan from Manchester United. He had trained with the Red Devils in the morning of the Tuesday and traveled over the Pennines to line up against Blackpool that night, without training with the club.

On 11 minutes, Austin sent a cross in from the left and Nardiello half-volleyed a left foot shot into the top left corner, beating Phil Barnes in the Blackpool goal.

In the second half, Nardiello stole onto a loose backpass and carried the ball from the half, nutmegged a defender, made the keeper commit and then passed to Stallard who tapped it home.

Then on 61, Nardiello latched onto a freekick and scored over his shoulder from the right-hand side of the net.

3-0 and I was hooked on football and Barnsley. I went on to watch the remaining home games of the season, making my away debut at Rushden and Diamonds later in the season (have to mention the Murphy freekick in that game, WOW)

I then watched all games, home and away, preseason, cups in the 2004-2005 season and onto season 2005-2006, before I watched my last live match on 19 November 2005, a 1-1 draw with Rotherham. Although I did get a mention in the program on that day.

I then flew back to Australia on the 21st and have listened to every game on BarnsleyWorld since returning (Getting up at 0400 to listen to the Playoff games).

I am now looking forward to watching the final, live at a pub in Melbourne and can't wait until I'm back in the UK in September to watch Barnsley in the Championship.

The Aussie Red

2. Gue

Guest Guest

Hello fellow Tyke darn-under.What channel is showing the play-off game in Oz????
    ESPN ??
    I'm desperate to watch it as is a few other "Tykes" in Perth

Cheers in advance

3. Fra

Fraser32 Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I remember driving back to Hull in snow on the M62 that night, worth it though