Barnsley Fans

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Barnsley Loyal, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Barnsley Loyal

Barnsley Loyal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why do we always clap the opposition keeper when he comes over to our side

Its not a dig in anyway just don't understand it

We wouldn't clap their right or left back when he comes over the to the east/west stand , so why any different for the keeper

Do we hope he falls in love with the fans and lets some easy goals in

2. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's tradition - you see it everywhere.

Great to see when there is a big crowd and an international keeper is playing for the opposition. Remember when players like Peter Shilton have played at Oakwell. Lots of appreciation for him.

3. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    My opinion - I may be wrong (it has been known)

When Clark and Hunter came to Oakwell, by far the worst thing they did was bring along a couple of Leeds habits - trackie tops and waving to the crowd in the centre circle (though it did generate an atmosphere over time)

The fans copied the old Leeds thing of clapping the goalie, then giving him the V's and a big round of F*** OFF at the point he waved back.

These days, we are so relaxed that we forget the ending and just applaud him :eek:

4. Barnsley Loyal

Barnsley Loyal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it's good just never understood why the keeper would be treated any different to outfield players

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. gooderzone

gooderzone Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    David James got a great reception at Oakwell if I remember right a few years ago. Great to see an England international between the sticks and even better watching Andy Gray lash a penalty past him!

Come to think of it perhaps we were applauding in thanks for that howler at Anfield in 1997?

6. gooderzone

gooderzone Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My Dad told me this when I first started attending and I asked why we applauded the opposition goalie, but I've never heard anyone complete the old ending as you and my Dad recount. I think we do boo them though if they don't applaud back?

7. Jam

Jamo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I never understood that myself either, glad a few have explained it. Though clapping the keepers no-one's heard of down here in League One is a bit weird.

8. Andy Mac

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    It certainly happened, but as PoR said above, we also gave keepers with any modicum of reputation a decent round of applause too.

Except Nigel Batch ! ! !;)

9. Prince of Risborough

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Conversely some have received disproportionate amounts of abuse. Paddy Kenny was always a prime example of course with lots of personal stuff about his family. Even Shilton got that at the end if I remember rightly. Wasn't there some of the "Where's your wife gone?" kind of stuff aimed at him, or am I confusing him with someone else?

10. gooderzone

gooderzone Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oh yeah I'm sure it did happen I just wish I'd been there when it used to happen. Too young though...young enough to not know who Nigel Batch is!

11. gooderzone

gooderzone Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah Paddy Kenny got, "Paddy - Where's ya wife? Paddy, Paddy - Where's ya wife?"

He took it in great spirits to be fair to him, turned round and just shrugged at us all as if to say "no idea!"

12. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Simply showing respect. It's been done for decades by Liverpool fans on the Kop and although it happened on a regular basis at Oakwell, it really took off with our fans when we were in the Premier League. It's carried on from there.

13. Andy Mac

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Nigel Batch was the Grimsby keeper in the 80's who for whatever reason was ribbed mercilessly by the Oakwell crowd. He hated it.
    [MENTION=6632]JLWBigLil[/MENTION] or @PrinceOfRisborough might remember ? Was it something to do with the curly perm ?

14. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    His curly hair was assumed to be permed and his Christian name deemed somewhat effeminate. Cue the persistent chants of "Nigel, Nigel, Nigel!" He seemed to react to the baiting, which automatically meant the baiting would not only continue, it'd increase. Terry Curran of Sheffield Wednesday would also be put off his game by the taunting of the Barnsley fans. However, Ronnie Moore revelled in it, he took it in the right spirit. Even when he was playing for Charlton a couple of years later he copped for it. But because of his approach, he was respected by most.

15. Andy Mac

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Exactly as I remember it :D

Would love Ronnie to visit us as manager, see how many remember it. Then again, the stewards would probably half-empty the ground.

16. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I remember one particular game with Charlton when Moore was a substitute. As soon as he emerged from the dugout, he was greeted by his infamous chant. His response? He waved to the Ponty End. Also, instead of continuing with his warm up, he sat down on the surrounding wall, chatting to some of our fans on the terracing in front of the old stand. When he eventually took to the field, he received a warm welcome from all parts of the ground which he duly returned. He repeated it at the end of the game, too.

17. Prince of Risborough

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To be honest I don't remember the ribbing for Nigel Batch although I do remember him playing for the Mariners, and having a tight curly perm. Perhaps he was one of those who just liked to wind up the fans behind the goal with hand gestures or persistent time wasting.

To completely digress though, and on a topical "Cilla Black" theme, I bet not many will remember this story about a Southport goalkeeper called Albert Lord......

Way back in May 1966 we played them in a meaningless end of season Fourth Division fixture in front of 2,000 or so. Typical crowd in those days, if you can imagine that now! Albert, their keeper, was having a nightmare and conceded four goals. I can't recall any of them individually but they were enough to provoke a witty song from behind the Ponty End goal that he was picking the ball out of. Because Cilla was popular with her "Alfie" song at that time the fans sang "What's it all about, Albert?" to him.

The strange things you remember for no particular reason! ;)

18. Prince of Risborough

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Shame there aren't more players around these days with that kind of character. I blame the mass influx of foreigners into the game. They wouldn't understand the humour.

19. JLWBigLil

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think it's more to do with lack of humour within the game.
    A few years ago in the League Cup Final (I think!), Liverpool were playing Chelsea and had taken the lead. The Liverpool fans behind the technical area were subjecting Jose Mourinho to persistent taunts and abuse. Chelsea equalised and Mourinho simply turned to the fans and put his finger to his lips. They then went berserk and after the match a number of them contacted the FL & FA to complain about him. Mourinho was then warned over his conduct.
    If you dish it out, you have to be prepared to take it, too, in my opinion. Ronnie Moore & the Barnsley fans is the perfect example of this. Unfortunately, some folk don't appear able.

20. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Spot on Lil.

Ni gel Ni gel Ni gel.