Why are the Hungarian authorities preventing the refugees from moving on?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Jay, Sep 3, 2015.

1. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    The refugees don't want to be there, they want to go to Germany. The Hungarians don't want them, they've made that perfectly clear, but they won't let them leave and are trying to force them to register for asylums in Hungary. Why? I don't understand.

2. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    :biggrin:
    Maybe they've decided that the best way of stopping the Refugees coming into Hungary is to send the message that once you enter you'll have to stay

3. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Simplistic Answer - Asylum seekers are supposed to register for asylum in the first safe country they reach thats international law, - so they shouldnt be moving on to Germany

More complex answer - No idea - but I guess the Germans have said they dont want them - in the same way as we told the French we dont want the people stuck in Calais and so the Hungarians have to try and stop them leaving.

No idea what the correct solution is - other than it ought to be considered a European problem rather than an individual country one

4. I'm Spartacus

I'm Spartacus Well-Known Member

Missionary
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Blimey...pointless asking us mere mortals, if you don't understand...

5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's in part to do with the Schengen agreement and the requirement of migrants to hold valid paperwork and the appropriate visa documentation. They are, in theory at least, simply upholding and enforcing European law.

6. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    They haven't though. They've said they'll take 850,000 refugees.

7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I realise what they're doing is lawful, but they wouldn't be any any trouble if they let them through. Germany are accepting refugees, that's where the refugees want to go, the Hungarians don't want them, but they're making them stay.

Although he said it tongue in cheek, I suspect [MENTION=6708]Durkar Red[/MENTION] is right.

8. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think he's probably close to the truth too. My caveat that it was partly to do with the Schengen agreement was in essence saying this is the only reason they will ever give but in reality I believe it's more to do with longer term protection of their own borders.

9. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Id be more concerned why the 'refugees' are attempting to avoid being registered....

10. tingleytyke

tingleytyke Well-Known Member

Used to be Shift Engineer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They are wanting the western lifestyle, it's not as much fun in Hungary.

11. Wes

Westie Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Maybe Hungary are sending out a message that this isn't the way through, if you don't following schengen laws. If they just let the refugees wander across Hungary without controll then they're just saying every refugee can go there and travel "without controll" through their country. All of a sudden it won't be 10 000s, or 100 000s but 1 000 000s on their boarders. Where and when do the leaders of countries say "we have to stop now"? I don't know, it's a pretty difficult situation to be in for both country, Europe, the World and mostly the refugees.

12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    A refugee is someone who flees their country in order to escape war or persecution for refuge or safety in another country. Not sure why you've put refugees in inverted commas.

If they're registered in Hungary they have to stay in Hungary.

England is attacked by a rebel army, cities are flattened, millions die, you manage to escape with your young family. The government of Hungary don't want you, there is poverty, high unemployment, little in the way of a welfare state or social housing and no free health care. Germany would welcome you, there are employment opportunities, a good education system for your children, health care, social housing and benefits until you find your feet. Where would you prefer to go?

13. RichK

RichK Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Should it be a preferance? Should they be able to demand where they go? They are seeking refuge from persecution in their own country, they'll be safe in Hungary so job done. The fact they are demanding to go not merely to a safe country but to one where they'll get a better standard of living suggests that they aren't actually refugees but economic migrants. If that's the case then empathy with them is reduced and they should be dealt with differently.

14. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    They don't look very safe to me at the moment, they're sleeping on the street.

15. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And that is part of the problem. If we are to take say 10,000 of them (Yvette Coopers figure not mine) where do we house them? We have social housing waiting lists so long that some people will never be housed and we have our own problem with the homeless.

16. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I understand the concerns. It's a huge problem and I don't have the answers. I'm not saying we should take in 10s or even 100s of thousands of refugees. I just don't understand why Hungary are treating these people so shabbily when they want to move to a country that will welcome them. The Hungarian President has said, "we have a right to decide that we do not want a large number of Muslim people in our country". With that in mind, I don't think Hungary is a safe place or a refuge for these people who are fleeing for their lives and have lost their jobs, their houses, all their possessions and in many cases other family members.

17. Sco

Scoff Well-Known Member

The interface between business and technology
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    As much as I would like to disagree with him on principle, the BBC News were quoting a senior conservative (I think it was Rifkind) ex-cabinet minister, who said that the refugees should register in the first safe country, which is currently Turkey or Jordan, and then we should help by taking the people from the camps there, not just allowing people to travel through to where they want to go. Maybe they should have some kind of system - with the vulnerable first, and each country takes so many in order, but its probably too late now.

18. Cap

Capital Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ^^^^^^^^^^

Good point. And what about other countries playing their part, specifically the rich Arab Gulf States such as Dubai, Qatar, UAR, Saudi Arabia etc who as far as I am aware have taken NONE of their fellow Muslims. Access to these countries would avoid any route across the seas.

I also read that in spite of several thousand applications last year, Japan accepted 6!

19. Mid

Mido Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It should be a world problem. Are the USA and Australia taking any refugees on? It's about time all wealthy countries including ourselves stood up and helped those that most need it.

20. 'thereev'

'thereev' Banned Idiot

Company Director
    let em go to Shltfield.....they'd be fighting to get back on the ferries by tea time.

hth