Off topic - Wireless speakers / Hi fi

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by fired, Nov 8, 2015.

1. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Any recommendations?

Sister has a Sonos, but I have no idea how these things work. Looking to replace the ipod/ itunes, and would need speakers for 3 rooms. Any tips for novices?

2. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You would still need something to stream from I.e. iPod. Sonos is basically a network of speakers

3. fir

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Spotify / and the existing i tunes collection.

4. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Those are apps, you'd still need a gadget on which to play them - laptop, computer, smart phone, tablet.

5. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
  6. fir

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Got several, which is why I'm looking for something that can play from any of them.

Daughter has spotify on her lap top, and something else on her iphone.

I have itunes collection with around 3,000 tracks on the PC.

7. fir

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Cheers. :)

8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
  9. fir

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks for that.

10. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've got a Sonos system. Just the one room at the moment. Brilliant sound quality though and great app. I predominantly listen to Spotify through it

11. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Fi, Jay, Ark.

Spookily enough Fi, we are having some building work done and a new kitchen which is going to be open plan and become our family "TV Room". We have been talked into a Sonos and saw a demo in Skipton on Friday - certainly impressive (connects to TV via digital cable) and we can all connect our various phones and devices to stream music, or connect to internet radio stations via the app that Ark mentions. But talking about £550+. Not sure I can justify with everything else I am paying out.

So that AudioPro box Jay ....... do you have one? The reviews are great and the price is good. I am not an expert with these things but from what I understand it is an Aux (jack-to-jack?) cable to connect telly. Does that give a massive difference in sound quality versus a digital cable?

Cheers in advance, Fi, let me know what you end up going with.

<goes to check his telly has an Aux port>

12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Firstly, I haven't got one, no, although I'm seriously thinking about. Even if I had, I couldn't give you a better review than What Hi-Fi.

About the digital cable thingy. In theory, the sound quality will be better with a digital cable. In practice, I can't tell a difference. Some people say they can, audiophiles who buy top end hi-fi equipment certainly reckon so, but I can't.

Something you also have to take in to consideration: Sound is analogue, but it is recorded on DVDs, Blu-Rays and CDs and broadcast digitally. Speakers are not digital, so at some point it has to be converted back in to analogue. Does it matter at what point you do that? If you connect with a digital cable, it doesn't have to go down that bit of wire as an analogue signal, but at some point it does go through some circuitry as analogue. I've still got my Technics separates system bought back in the 80s when I was 17. My vinyl records played on that entirely analogue system sound a hell of a lot better than any digital system I've bought since.

As far as this box is concerned. Do you want it primarily for your TV or primarily to stream music? Don't get me wrong, it'll do a good job with your TV, miles better than the inbuilt speakers, but that's not what it was built for, it's sort of an added bonus. It's built to stream music and be portable. If you've got the money I'd consider getting a sound bar or a soundbase for the TV and one of these boxes for the music, which will still work out cheaper than the Sanos system you were looking at. Don't have to buy both at once, start with the portable box and get the other later if you fancy it.

I would recommend you go to a shop and listen to whatever you're going to buy first though, see if you like it.

13. Andy Mac

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Cheers for that - I bought Sony seperates as a 17 yo in the 80's so I know where you are coming from (sadly I let them go a couple of years back).

I think the TV will get some serious use - I see the speaker as being a permanent fixture as I wholeheartedly agree about the quality of inbuilt speakers. Mrs Mac and I are currently watching a couple of series and I can honestly say I can't tell a word half of the main characters are saying. So priority one is better sound for the 'family TV room'. Priority two will be playing music through it, though I can see it being a fight between the Mrs and 2x teenagers about who can connect their device first. I'll just hide in my man-cave.

Cheers for the info, off to check this new telly has an aux port.

14. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sonos are great got them pretty much everywhere and the soundbar. In the run up to Christmas they usually chuck a years free sub to Deezer at you.

15. Andy Mac

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Update

[MENTION=6655]Jay[/MENTION] [MENTION=7031]Fired[/MENTION] [MENTION=119502]Jud[/MENTION]ith-charmers @ark-104-(v2)

I said I'd update you Fi. I couldn't afford to run to the Sonos system that Ark mentioned, though I was mightily impressed with it in the display suite at my local electrical shop.

Did a bit of shopping around and settled on this from Amazon. Went by the reviews and the fact it is British-designed. Probably far more basic than the Sonos and not had a proper play yet (house still upside down) but really pleased with the quality on the price paid. I could get one for the new back room too and still have paid less than the Sonos. Trying to decide whether to get the sub-woofer which is optional-but-recommended (as is the Sonos version)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014O6OHPY/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1448010895&sr=1&keywords=azatom

So am sat WFH listening to Radio 2 on it (via itunes / airplay). Have also listened to TV via bluetooth, optical cable and HDMI (ARC) . Also connected phone via Bluetooth. Remote functionality is basic and there is no app, but I have sussed it out based on my needs.

So if you are after a cheaper option Fi, I can recommend it.

16. fir

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: Update

Cheers ANdy, will take a look at that. Looks quite big?

Think it will boil down to what the kids put on their Christmas lists and then what we can manage.

17. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

If you happen to connect through Apple devices, AirPlay would definitely be worth a look.

18. Andy Mac

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark

Sonos H85 L900 W140

Azatom H95 L815 W125

19. fir

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  20. She

Sheriff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sonos are excellent, but pricey, and they are pretty much never discounted in stores. The Play1 will set you back around £150, but it's fine as a standalone in an average sized room.

You also need a Bridge to connect to your Wifi but they occasionally have offers where these are bundled with a speaker (I got one bundled with the first Play1 we bought).

We've added kit to the system over time and extended it into other rooms, so it's one you can build up as and when funds allow.

I mainly stream from Spotify or from an iTunes Library. I also stream Radio Sheffield through for the phone ins.

Well worth purchasing, but not the cheapest system available. Sound quality is excellent though.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk