Value Alert! 3/1

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Orsen Kaht, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

Not sure why we've drifted in the betting, having seen the team.

3/1 = 25%. But this is a better team than the bookies have been basing their assessments on. No sure thing, but we've better than a 25% chance of winning this.

Get on!

2. RichK

RichK Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've gone BTTS and BFC at 5s. In for a penny...

3. redarmychris

redarmychris Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I may be missing something here but why are Plymouth 17/10 at home to Orient?

Mid tab Orient are favourites with the bookies while Plymouth are top of the league.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

4. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

Plymouth lost 3 of their last 4 at home. Stuttering?

5. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

3's all gone now. Thought that price was too high.

6. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've recently started dabbling with an online account (Betway)and am just about breaking even so far.

What I don't understand is this percentage business. Could you explain to a complete betting beginner how 3 to 1 = 25% :)

7. RichK

RichK Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    3+1=4
    100/4=25%

8. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

No worries, POR.

'Value' is a crucial concept if you bet on a regular basis. If you regularly get odds that represent better than the selections chance then you will make a profit in the longer term (always assuming of course that your assessment of the 'true odds' is right!).

An even money shot is equal to 1/1. Divide the bottom figure by the sum of the top and bottom figures (1 divided by 2) and you will get 0.5 or, expressed as a percentage, 50%. If you think betting on the toss of a coin, tails or heads represents a 50% chance, but someone offers you 11/10 (47.6%) then you have a bet. The 'true odds' show that the probability is greater than the odds offered imply.

2/1 becomes 1 divided by 3 = 0.33 or 33%. 3/1 becomes 1 divided by 4 = 0.25 or 25%.

Barnsley tonight were offered at 3/1 (25%). So if you think that if this game was played four times and Barnsley (in these circumstances) would win it more than one in four times, then the 3/1 is a value bet.

In my long term betting on horseracing, I aim for a 33% or better win rate. If I get 35% in the medium to long term, I make a substantial profit. It follows from that that the average price of the winners I back needs to be 2/1 or better. That doesn't stop me backing horses at evens (1/1) if I think they have a better than 50% chance of winning.

This is a subject that has fascinated me over the years, and more so since I finished work. It's a fairly simple concept - though one which people often over-complicate.

As thereev would say, hope this helps!

9. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

The fact that Barnsley have just gone 1-0 down reminds me of something else I meant to say.

The fact that you're wrong about individual selections is matterless, provided that your longer-term assessments are reasonably accurate. Get your odds and probabilities reasonably right and you will make money.

I'm often asked for my opinions about certain horse races, or meetings as a whole. It follows from what I've said that if I hit 33% winners or (nirvana) 35%, my opinions will throw up far more losers than winners. That doesn't matter so long as my percentages are up to the mark.

Difficult concept to get your head around - but you have to be happy with losing in order to win!

10. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

Ponty72's explanation is more succinct, by the way!

11. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I play a lot of poker and it's a similar equation sometimes. If the odds are in my favour lump on. Yes I will lose sometimes but if you take the view it's a never ending game as long as you are on the side of 50.1% it doesn't matter

12. RichK

RichK Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm all for simplicity orsen.

13. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

You should see the flak I get at home when I start one of my long rambling tales!