Official Site : Bobby Hassell Appointed Academy Head of Recruitment

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Newsbot, Dec 14, 2015.

1. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Well done. You keptmthat one under 6 pages long. Still a load of 'I know more than you' ****** though

P's. I didn't mention flitcroft did I? And I like how you think I've only posted diatribe against those two and not Wilson, Johnson or anyone else considering my post has been about years and in this thread I've even !mentioned Wilson's reign and Johnson's.

You crack on though. We all know you are far more knowledgeable than the rest of us mere idiots

2. mat

matthewWAB New Member

You can hardly blame managers for being reluctant to play youngsters. If they lose games, the same fans who demanded the kids will then call for the manager's head.

3. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    and herein lies the rub. those who cant see past there own nose and call for us to blood our own youngsters. they arent good enough.

4. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I disagree. The academy is this season undergoing changes as Lee Johnson seeks to unify all the teams from age 8 upwards in the same style of play.

All I ask is why are we willing to blood youngsters of other clubs on loan when they too are clearly not good enough? And I'm not talking about anyone in particular, just in general. Over the last few years we have played and persisted with quite a few absolutely awful young lads from other clubs who, in my opinion, would not have been anywhere near the first team if they had come from our academy instead of someone elses. There must be a reason for it anc it certainly can't be purely down to performances

5. M.C.Tyke

M.C.Tyke Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Great news, well done BFC. I'm also delighted to see any improved focus on us trying to recruit the best young players locally. My lad plays for an u8's team that I manage and (not saying I agree with this at 7 years old) he has been scouted (on Barnsley council playing fields) by Wendy, Blunts, Chesterfield, and Man City so far, yet we've never had a scout from BFC watch us. We've just played and won the first 10 games of the season anorl so you'd think if people had their ears to the ground they would have popped along.

To be honest though, having had a taste of some of these academies over the past year I decided not to let him continue for now as the amount of organised football that they play is incredible, and I want him to carry on with grassroots football for longer than they seem to be happy with. Many of the scouts and parents also seemed to be swimming in a massive pool of bullsh*t too which put me right off.

A couple of boys in my team are already established at the Dee Dar clubs who will want to sign them next year. It would be a shame for Barnsley to continue to miss out on those showing potential at such a young age whilst they are being snapped up elsewhere, particularly if they are Barnsley fans.

6. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But the same managers play other teams youngsters don't they?

7. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Which club fella just in case Bob reads it?

8. Mike Lowry

Mike Lowry Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  9. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Absolutely brilliant appointment. Welcome home Sir Bobby.

10. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Further to what I said above:

Antony Kay started 33 league games in the 2005/06 season, plus made 3 sub appearances. Neil Austin started 38 league games, bettered only by Shuker and Colgan. Dale Tonge started 14 league games and made 10 sub appearances. Robbie Williams started 13 league games and made 9 sub appearances. Nicky Wroe started 6 league games and made 6 sub appearances. I don't believe we made a single penny when any of the above players left the club, but without them, we may never have been promoted.

We lasted 8 years in the Championship. According to the club, the difference in income between The Championship and League 1 is about £5 million. That's £40 million. Which pays for the academy for 53 years.

11. tyr

tyrone1 Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Please stop applying common sense

12. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    How can you disagree? Are you telling me the manager sees these young players and thinks.. nah.... he's decent and will improve the first team but i wont pick him?

the loan system in general is fcucked and abused, mainly by us it seems. i cant wait until next season then all this might be put to bed as we will have to pick our own young uns.

13. Whi

Whitey Guest

Bobby'll be down to watch him soon, Phil.....

14. Whi

Whitey Guest

Goes without saying that I'm absolutely delighted that Bobby is back at the club. But I've said it anyway.

15. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Jay you are right that I have not included transfer fees saved in my logic, but I do not think that it has saved us £5m in transfer fees, or anything like that sum. Anthony Kay was probably worth a fee, but I doubt whether Austin, Tonge, Williams or Wroe were, even at their best because I think that we could probably have picked up players as good on free transfer.

I do not agree with your other logic, but my guess is that your tongue is firmly in your cheek.

16. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There you go again, letting your temper rule over logic. You really must calm down before you start typing.

17. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I applaud your stance.

Keep him out the meat grinder until hes ready.

Too many tales of kids being destroyed by the pressures of academy football at an age when they should be out enjoying life without any care in the world.

18. JDB

JDB Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My take on the matter:

It's frustrating that we get players in on loan from other clubs that appear to be no better than what we've already got. What exactly did Brad Abbott do wrong and why hasn't he had a look in since? Obviously sometimes loans from clubs higher up the chain pay off, such as Adam Armstrong at Coventry - but how many don't? As a fan I find it frustrating that we sign players like Isgrove whilst letting other players leave without playing a single game (such as Sam Patterson). It's a well known fact that the most expensive transfer fees are paid for attacking players, yet we almost never give young lads a chance to play in attacking positions and learn their trade. Instead we blood players in 'safer' positions, such as full back. I believe I read that James Bree is actually a central midfielder...will he get a chance to actually play there?

Unfortunately it's a problem being repeated at clubs across the country; the main reason is that clubs hire and fire managers too quickly. If I was a football manager I wouldn't be bought into the idea of blooding young players in a sink or swim environment either. I'd be concentrating on winning enough games to keep my job so that I could pay my mortgage. If I was was working toward additional KPIs, instead of just winning games, then maybe I'd be more inclined...but I seriously doubt that's the case in football management.

Maybe we have got the recruitment of academy players wrong in the past, maybe we're not coaching them right...but one thing is for sure; we haven't had the correct attitude towards supporting managers, and it's probably having an impact on them being confident enough to actually play academy players.

19. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But surely playing an academy player from another club is just as much a risk and a sink or swim situation isn't it?

Theres also the issue of managers getting payouts for failing meaning their mortgage is getting paid off while thry sit at home. I seem to remember Dossier Davey saying he turned down a lot of jobs after leaving us because he got paid for doing nothing

20. JDB

JDB Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes, that's my point. I think they wrongly believe that just because they're from a club higher up the food chain that they must be better than what we've got. I'd rather see a player train every day to decide if they're mentally cut out for the first team.