West stand upper, south end

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by nottstyke, Oct 5, 2016.

1. not

nottstyke Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just had a letter from the box office telling me this end of the stand has been shut for remedial work for the whole season, and have had to move my seat elsewhere. Anybody know what work is being done? Don't suppose they could somehow give a bit more legroom, in what is otherwise a nice "Cozy" area.

2. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No idea what work is being done but I guess it's just basic stuff to delay the decay so we don't have to knock the whole stand down anytime soon. Looks like the time is getting nearer though, even though an upper tier on the Ponte would look better to leave our beloved West Stand alone :D

3. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Toilet extension work apparently.

4. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Remedial suggests looking after what is already there. I don't have a season ticket, but it's where I sit too most of the time. Are they opening the other side? Still, it will give Waldorf & Staedtler something new to moan about, especially as Conor is on such great form.

5. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hang on. barnsley66 & I sit in the Ponty End and are both fans of Conor.:D

6. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    No idea what is being done - but just had a look at ticket availability for the Bristol game and it looks like its the southern half of WUE that is out of action so you could just move your seats to the left by around 10-15 seats

7. I'm Spartacus

I'm Spartacus Well-Known Member

Missionary
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just been on the online ticket map and they're selling West Stand Upper tickets Blocks D and E for the Fulham match.

8. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    But only for half of block E - the half nearest block D

9. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There's load of scaffolding up at the minute on that walkway at the top of the lower tier which goes up to gutter level, assumed it was just something that would be complete before the next home game. Maybe [MENTION=120685]YTBFC[/MENTION] can enlighten us.

10. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I assumed that the scaffolding was to replace the facia on the roof, they did the same thing at the other end of the stand a few weeks ago

11. jedstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah I thought it was summat like that and they'd seen the international break as a good time to do it.

Just speculating but maybe they've found some potential health and safety issues in the meantime, bit surprised if the stand is going to be shut for the rest of the season though, that would mean some serious work.

It won't be a popular decision but if the work needed is that drastic then I'd just knock the thing down, I doubt it was built to last 100 years+ and it's still effectively the 'main stand' where most of the facilities are housed, I've been underneath on the tour a couple of times and modern it is not, the corridors are about 2ft wide.

12. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If I was a millionaire I'd buy all the houses on grove street and knock them down then I'd carefully take the west stand down and rebuild it on the opposite side of grove street where I'd just knocked the houses down. But when I rebuilt it id clad the front of it (the open side) in a solid glass front which would be really modern so the rest of the stand would be really good with a striking modern front on it, the inside of the stand would be fitted out as office space and a new board room and things with a bride coming out f it and connecting to a new West stand within the stadium.

It looks better in my head than it sounds on paper

13. jedstar

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't think you'd even need to touch Grove Street, there's that open space behind the stand, I reckon a modest-sized modern stand would fit in there quite easily.

The only complaint you might get from residents is if the back of the stand is up to the pavement then it's going to affect the natural light into their homes. Saying that though with your glass cladding idea a lot of light would be reflected back anyway.

I would have said I can't see much happening due to the complicated ownership of the ground but plans were on the table to replace it five/six years ago so I can see it happening if we can consolidate a place in the Championship over the next few years, not necessarily because we need the capacity but the media facilities must be amongst the worst League One never mind the Championship.