View after watching the highlights

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Hemsworth Tyke, Dec 18, 2016.

1. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

But no one is asking you to get "carried away", just asking you to stop seeing the dark side of everything.

See there you go again, looking back five years for something negative to compare this season with.

There are loads of sensible, intelligent posters on this forum. Why don't you learn from them and their experiences?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

2. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Our average league position in the last 50 years is 47th, or 3rd place the current League One. So today we are 15 places above average. In a division with huge financial mismatch. Look at those currently below us. So my question to you is where do you think we should be in December, and where do you think we should (not will) finish at the end of the season.

I hope we continue to improve. I hope we could even dream of play offs. But what I don't do is expect it, nor criticise unjustly, the club and players who have at least given us all that hope.

3. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Sadly, that brilliant post will not be read by the person it is aimed at. It sums up just about everything that being a Reds fan means. That it's been mostly one depression after another watching rubbish.

In probably the 2nd or 3rd best year, football wise, in our entire history, the destructive criticism continues unabated.

4. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was delighted when we got promotion. Our kid I was worried about. After all he had only ever seen us struggle at the bottom of the championship. Apart from the great escape he had seen us suffer and it's all he knew.

It even went on up to December despite me promising we would not struggle like in the championship. I was accused of being a liar to my own son. At 8/9 year old.

It was heartbreaking having to admit I was wrong and he had believed me.

Then. Out of nowhere we were winning everything and everyone. He now believed me.

I was scared coming into this season it would revert back to how it was the last time around. I prepared him for what may lay ahead.

And do you know what. I'm delighted he can call me a liar again. But this time for the right reasons because we are competing. And competing very very well.

And long may it continue because my son has so much passion in him about winning it spills into his Sunday games and he's not happy unless he gives 100 percent and has a great game.

Something that should be in the heart of every footballer.

Even if my son makes nowhere near a football team professionally I know he will give everything in life to the cause.

I cannot ask for anything else but be proud of whatever he achieves because his commitment to the cause can never be in question like some of the pansies pretending to be footballers today.

And that same commitment our players are showing is totally obvious to everyone concerned at BFC

5. Fon

Fonzie Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Some brilliant posts in here in the last half hour.

6. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We are doing great so far this season , playing well and competing well . Scoring plenty and good to watch , very hard to find faults with how this season is going

7. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I suggest you read Exile's thread.

8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Laughing

9. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't like getting into the "how many matches/how long you been going" debate because it's meaningless - but you've mentioned there about going away and the number of games viewed as if it gives your opinion supremacy over others.

So. Ive been watching various Barnsley teams and players over the past 40 years. From the bottom division to the top. I've been away when there was less than 60 Barnsley fans in the ground, I've seen us go toe to toe with the biggest teams in England. I've skived work, sacrificed relationships, skint myself, and pulled more stunts than you could list to watch my team. Does it give my opinion any more credence than anyone else ? Does it f-ck. there's people on here (and not) that have been watching longer and done more than me to watch the reds.

What it does is give a perspective - it allows to judge the ability, character and status of these lads against all the others, including accounting for how the nature of football has changed.

Merely blithely stating that '12th isn't good enough' doesn't mark you out as an insightful observer of football - it shows your immaturity. We all want Barnsley to succeed - but those with their head on the right way round appreciate what we're up against and that these lads are on a journey - we should support and encourage, not lambast Marc Roberts for not being Pique or Hourihane for not being Messi.

This will doubtless fall on deaf ears because there's none so blind as those that will not see. But in a few years time you'll know what I mean.

Sent from the darkest recesses of a poisoned mind.

10. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Outstanding thread.

You must be on some good money to have seen the Reds 21 times this season, Phil. I remember how much it used to cost me every weekend to drive down to all the home and away games. Not cheap, and I'm guessing it's even more expensive in 2016.

11. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Speaking as a staunch feminist, I would never be so disrespectful or naive to presume that any able bodied grown up lady is not able to lift and put down her own toilet seat...

Try that one on the wenches next time, lads... :D

12. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can vouch for that. Those upper West wooden seats are very unforgiving. Especially this time of year... :)