Is 2016 BFCs best ever calendar year? What's yours.... ?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Cunning Stunt, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Cun

Cunning Stunt Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Gotta be my favourite. Better than the promotion to the PL and the first few months in it.

Ya reckon ?!?

2. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's definitely been a great year to be a red. Never thought this time last year we would have got promoted then 2 really good days out at wembley 2 wins and now mid table in the championship above teams like forest and villa. My favourite in my time of watching bfc also flickers great escape and wembley season in 2000 under bassett were good times.

3. Cun

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    me aswell. It's been remarkable. 6 points from the next 2 games at home to round it off nicely ;-)

4. Cudeth Archey

Cudeth Archey Active Member

College Tutor
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This has definitely been my favorite year watching barnsley

5. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The promotion to the prem was better for me. I was younger and dafter with no responsibilities. Now life seems more serious.

6. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know where you're coming from..

Promotion to the Premier League felt like fulfilling the Danny Blanchflower view of "The game is about Glory", and it was just that. But as much as getting there was glorious, the experience was tough - defeats, cynicism of opposition teams and all that. The best memory was simply getting promotion in itself. Wouldn't swap it for anything but after the party was a let down.

2016 has just been a crazy stupid unexplainable year. Non stop excitement, exhilarating football. When blokes in their 60s and 70s who sit near us have said that it's some of the best and most entertaining football they've seen, comparable to 1978-82, then you understand how good it has been. It restored pride in the club, showed that anything is possible. Glory days.

7. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought the calendar we did in 1989 was wayyy better. Julian Broddle almost wi' t'cockart was July, if memory serves. His perm not the only tight curls on show!

8. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Got to be a lap of honour after the Birmingham match, win lose or draw....:)

9. Superredsfan7

Superredsfan7 Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ROLLER COASTER YEAR LAST YEAR AND I LOVED IT. Also this season has been fun and the away games have been great.

10. Cun

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    not to be sniffed at

11. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Great year some great memories of Wembley, fantastic start to the season but the Prem promotion end of season and playing in the Prem will never be beaten for me , promotion night in tarn will never be topped

12. Cun

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Thought so but looking back I never thought Id disagree but I genuinely do!

13. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    2016 has been my favourite calendar year.

1981 was pretty amazing too. That also involved promotion in to the league we're in now, a fantastic FA Cup run in the second half of the 80/81 season including victories over Enflield (at White Hart Lane, still the highest ever 'home' attendance for a non-league side I believe) and Rotherham, and a never to be forgotten defeat at 1st division Middlesbrough who we completely outclassed for 80 minutes. Then there was the league cup run in the first half of 81/82 season: 6-0 at home to Peterborough, taking first division Brighton to pieces and winning 4-1, beating Man City 1-0 in front of over 33,000. In the league we'd beaten Sheffield Wednesday at home, then won 5 on the spin including Newcastle at home, Chelsea away and seen Ian Banks hit a hattrick as we stuffed Rotherham 4-2, Ronnie Moore's hat and all. We were genuine promotion candidates, as good as all but the very best in the league above too. The reason 2016 eclipses that is I was just a little too young to remember how it all felt. I remember the majority of the individual games. I remember some of the goals like they happened yesterday, but I don't remember how I felt about the whole thing.

1997. Promotion to the Premier League was unbelievable. The feeling I had when watching us kick off against West Ham, then seeing Redfearn notch, will probably never be repeated. But the reality is we really struggled to come to terms with life in the Premier League until the second half of the season. The majority of my favourite memories from that season come from 1998. If the second half of the premier league season had come first then 1997 would undoubtedly be my favourite calendar year, but as it is, 2016 eclipses it.

14. twi

twillo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This one by far

15. LDR

LDRed Well-Known Member

Groundhopper
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Do the morons try and run on the pitch on the last game of the year or just the last game of the season?

16. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree with you on these two years, they were the two that came to mind for me. I think this year is right up there with them though for excitement.

17. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I've thoroughly enjoyed it too as I was on a real downer about football in 2015 - I thought it was too expensive and too ****. To see how the team recovered and murdered lots of opponents was thrilling.

For me, the most pleasing thing is the way the players have improved with promotion, particularly the spine of the team (Davies, Roberts, Hourihane, Winnall). These lads are not just competing in the Championship, they're better than most other players in their positions.

Well done to all at the club for a great year. Even Whitey and the media lads who've made a massive difference this past year. Merry Christmas to the lot of you.

18. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    2016 & 1981 have been my two favourite calendar years for football. We returned to the second tier for the first time in my lifetime in 1981. But 2016 had two Wembley wins, as well as our promotion. However, at the start of 1981 we all knew we had a superb team (including the club's best ever player, in my opinion, in Ronnie Glavin) with quality players and promotion was a realistic objective. 2016 started with us all simply wanting the team to pull away from the relegation places.
    I'll probably edge towards 2016 as being the best (if I have to), as it's here & now, with all the relevant experiences still fresh in the heart, soul, and memory.

19. barnsley66

barnsley66 Well-Known Member

Learner Support Assistant/Happy Clapper
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For me it has to be this year.

When we lost at Wembley in the cup semi, I thought I'd never see the lads at Wembley again. But not one, but two visits and two wins. And the rise from relegation candidates to promotion was just sensational. To take the grandkids down twice to see us win was brilliant, and to see the big smiles from BigLil and Dragon Tyke was priceless!

But the most gratifying feeling is the way the club and the fans seem to be together. Yes there will be gripes, but on the whole there is a good atmosphere round Oakwell. The owner is a fan, the manager is a fan, and we have a number of local lads in the side.

Maybe it's me getting old, but at this moment, it's great to be a Barnsley fan!

Long may it continue.

20. Sea

Seattle_Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    1981 for me. This year has been brilliant mainly for our first ever wins at Wembley but we had a better team including players with flair back in 1981. You wouldn't forget a year when Glavin got us promoted at home against Rotherham in front of 25,000. We had bigger crowds at home back then and the atmosphere was better.

I was chatting to someone from those days recently. He used to go home and away but hardly goes home now because the game's sterile compared to back then. Players are automatons. There's less blood and guts. It's more entertainment than die for the cause. I know what he means.