are we punching above our weight....?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by selby, Jan 2, 2017.

1. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Yet Blackburn and Wigan still look upon us as one of the teams they "should be beating" and one Rotherham fan repeatedly described us as "tinpot" prior to the season.

I think if we got 20k every week we'd still be looked down on. People seem to have an image of us that's hard to shift, but like I said in my previous post, the people judging have often lost touch with reality.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

2. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

Difference is, we backed it up by being good and getting promoted.

Can the same be said this season of Blackburn, Cardiff, Wigan and Forest just to name a few willy wavers?

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

3. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Brum & Derby after Sanko from Palace

Small matter of £4m

So to be fair I think we are, all things considered.

4. Dragon Tyke

Dragon Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    well our league gates are averaging over 14k so far this season

so we are well on the way to your 16k mark.

5. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    'punching above our weight' -- 'little gems' -- 'hungry players' --- etc.

clichés that mean nothing.

An excellent team playing excellent football giving me a great deal satisfaction -- that's all!

6. She

Sheriff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you want an idea of the scale of disparity within the Championship, I've cut and paste below part of some analysis a friend of mine did at the end of last season (he's a Charlton fan, and was looking to see whether their relegation last season was proportionate to the relative financial status of the clubs in the division). It shows the latest available turnover figures for each club, with a breakout of their matchday turnover in comparison.

By comparison, our total turnover in for the y/e 31/5/14 (i.e. the relegation season) was £9.4m (not sure what the matchday element of this was, but I'd imagine it'd be comparable to Brentford, Preston and that big club, Bristol City, so something in the £3.1m-3.7m range, on the same basis).

It's pretty eye-opening to see the discrepancy created by the parachute monies, when listed like this. If you strip away the parachute payments we're still 'small' in Championship terms, but the disparity between richest and poorest is much narrower.

Looked at in these terms, we're punching seriously above our weight this season (especially given that you'd now have Newcastle and Villa on the comparison list). It also puts into context the scale of Burton's achievements both last and this season so far, if you imagine the turnover base that they'd be operating from relative to ours.