pay our stars what their worth

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by red24/7, Jan 13, 2017.

1. jagzz88

jagzz88 Well-Known Member

Construction
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What would there demands of been in the summer after promotion? Not the figures that are getting slung about at the minute. We missed the boat to increase wages in line with what we could afford after promotion. (Increased gate money, Tv money etc that is gained from been in the Championship compared to league one).

Improved contracts in the summer with a clause if we went down, everyone happy if we sell them clubs have to pay a market value.

To leave Winnall, Hourinhane, Watkins, Scowen, Bree all with a year left in there contracts going into the championship is suicide! The core of our team that got us promoted built for next to nothing of course we were going to attract vultures especially now we are doing well.

2. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But seriously. I don't dispute Conor is worth 20k, but that would be 3-400% more than our average wage, including many senior pros. I know we probably pay Hammill quite a bit more than most, but that can be rationalised by the absence of a transfer fee.
    The team spirit we hear so much about would soon turn sour, if one player got a massive pay hike above everyone else.
    I think establishing a stable championship position will lead to a loosening of the purse strings, but only keeping with revenue income. We have a financial cushion, but it isn't dependable income and can't be chipped away at in the short term.

:smile:

3. DSLRed

DSLRed Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Agree 100%. yes it is thoroughly disappointing, to say the least, that we have lost one and may lose both of them.

Yes, it is even more galling that it happens to be to our near neighbours.

But the reality is that we will have made the best we could out of a thoroughly shitty situation, realising as much money as we could for players who have only 20 weeks left on their contract and who, realistically, we could not stop from leaving. As an employee, how would you feel if you could earn 4 x the amount you were now on and your employer stopped you from doing so? In the end, the club don't have any realistic choice over this if we are to retain our reputation as a club that works well for players looking to develop and progress.

All this talk of calling time on it, because we have sold a couple of players, is nonsense. We support the club, and these things have happened as long as I have supported Barnsley. They will happen again, and again, as long as I continue to support Barnsley. It is what it is, and it is who we are. The King is Dead - Long live the King.