Official Site : Club Statement: Barnsley Football Club agrees sale of Sam Winnall to

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Newsbot, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Newsbot

Newsbot Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  2. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: Official Site : Club Statement: Barnsley Football Club agrees sale of Sam Winnall

I've been a big fan of Sam's ever since he joined in 2014. For me, he's been a terrific striker for us and always answered his critics by doing what he did best. When he first signed, some Scunny fans claimed he wouldn't score in Division 1. They were wrong. After we won promotion last season, some Barnsley fans claimed he wouldn't score in the Championship. They were wrong. He was the first Barnsley striker in nigh on forty years to score 20 league goals in a season. Had he not picked up a long term injury, I'm convinced he'd have completed the feat in his first season.
    However, I'm bitterly disappointed he pushed for and then got his transfer to Wednesday. I know this makes me sound even more immature & childish than usual, but this closing episode of his Barnsley career leaves a bitter taste in the mouth with how he's handled it.
    I've no idea how the club will deal with any incoming transfers this month, but I still remain a Barnsley fan and will continue to be.

3. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

Re: Official Site : Club Statement: Barnsley Football Club agrees sale of Sam Winnall

JL, there can't be a right-thinking member of our fanbase that isn't grateful for what Sam has done for us. Equally, we wouldn't be who we are if we didn't wish Sam well in his future career - even if that is with one of our keenest rivals. But it would also be a failure of objectivity not to recognise that Sam is not the complete player in a striker's role. For one, he has always lacked pace. And secondly, he doesn't have the physicality of a traditional centre forward. He is in consequence heavily reliant on a quality line of supply. I very much hope that he will not continue to enjoy that by means of Conor also jumping aboard the Wednesday ship. Conor can do better than that, and will hopefully wait until the summer to prove so. So best wishes to Sam, but Wednesday may find that there is more skill and ability to getting the best out of players than simply signing a rival's players.

4. Con

Conan Troutman Well-Known Member

Professional Football Fan
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

What's this abart?

5. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

And yet he still managed to score all those goals for us. The fact that Sam has faults in his game doesn't make him unique. I've never seen a Barnsley player who didn't have flaws in their game. We all have in our various professions, no one's perfect.
    In my opinion, Sam has been one of the best goal scoring strikers I've seen play for Barnsley in years. I still don't like it that he's signed for Wednesday and actually pushed for the move.

6. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Has there been a successful player left Barnsley FC in the last five years without the club or one of its officials badmouthing them in either a written statement or in a fans forum?

7. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Did you miss the bit at the end?