Transfers.........a way forward

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Young Nudger, Jan 15, 2017.

1. Young Nudger

Young Nudger Well-Known Member

Counting great crested newts
    Hiding in a reed bed at the local RSPB nature rese
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Firstly - I'm not bothered that Winnall has been sold.
    However I am angry that he has been given away and given away to a Sheffield / Leeds club.

We cannot compete with some of the wages in this league that's for sure so we have to combat this by doing other things:

1) Recruitment. Investing in bringing in young players and lower league players. Which the club is currently brilliantly at.
    2) Coaching. Improving players abilities. Which again we are doing brilliantly at.
    3) Players Contracts. Ensuring players have lengthy contracts so when a offer comes in a decent price can be gained for them - this money is then fed back into recruitment and the whole process starts again. Barnsley have failed here.

Barnsley IMO should be selling one or two of there better players during each transfer window.
    This should be the clubs policy and the fans made aware of it.
    But in the 10 years of PCs stewardship, achieveing the right price for a player has happened only once with Mawson.
    All the rest of the players have been more or less given away - usually because of lack of a contract.

If players will not extend their contract then they must be put up for transfer immediately- or paid to just sit at home.
    We cannot afford to have players in the team that can just walk out of the door and by doing so disrupt all the hard work done by the staff.
    No player is bigger than the club and no player should hold the club to ransom.
    The club should name and shame those players that try to do this.

Until Barnsley put a better system of player contracts in place then Barnsley will struggle in this league.
    The fans deserve better from the directors than what they have seen in the last 10 years or so with regards to length of players contracts.

2. Mr C

Mr C Well-Known Member

Saving the world.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Long term contracts are all very well, but what if they don't perform. Mike Sheron cost us an absolute bomb for very little in return...
    That was a lesson learned, now it's time to find a middle ground. Extension options is the obvious way to go, but the player has to agree..

3. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Long contracts, like short ones, come to an end. We will never be able to force a lad to sign a contract.

Sent via Royal Mail and typed up by my Tapatalk byatch

4. SirPsychoSexy

SirPsychoSexy Banned Idiot

Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Extension options shouldn't be a problem if we are signing unproven players.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What happens when you get it wrong, and please do not say that you would not get it wrong, because everyone gets it wrong. What happens when you put a player on a 4 year contract that you can barely afford. What happens if he stops performing at the level that you expected. What happens when you cannot sell him because no other club will pay him what you have agreed and the player decides to sit there and see out his contract, even if you tell him that he will not play. What happens if the club is relegated and his pay takes the club beyond SCMP limits, and he still will not go.

You seem to think that there is just one party in contract negotiations, and that the club can easily get what it wants, and the only thing that it has to do it demand it. You see no down side to contracts and are convinced that with yourself at the helm, there is only up. If I were you, I would leave this sort of thing to the professionals.

6. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought you said that if we sold Winnall to Sheffield Wednesday, you were done with the club this season and wouldn't be attending again?

7. only1kp

only1kp Well-Known Member

father of 3, best friends with jack daniels
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If you seriously believe that a club can just make a player stay at home if he refuses to sign a new contract then your living in cloud cuckoo land

8. ryhilltyke

ryhilltyke Well-Known Member

Construction Worker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Aye cos Spackman putting all his squad on 4 year contracts worked brilliantly.
    Dear god.

9. Young Nudger

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    OMG
    Are you all saying that there isn't anyone at the club who knows which player should should have extended contracts and which of them shouldn't ???
    Personally I think the management know exactly where the value in the team lies.

10. ryhilltyke

ryhilltyke Well-Known Member

Construction Worker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    OMG? Are you a 12 year old girl.
    I'm done.

11. red

redrum Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We could waterboard the ****ers in the summer and make them sign new deals

12. Farnham_Red

Farnham_Red Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley
    Well they dont always know at the time they sign, and they never really know how well they will develop. Last Christmas how many of our squad would you have suggested the club give improved championship level contract to just out of interest when none of the players were proven at that level and the club were bottom of the table - just curious like

13. wak

wakeyred Well-Known Member

the clues in my imaginative online moniker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Mr C is right, long contracts us usually what bankrupts clubs, it did for us. It's a balancing act for us between paying league one salary and shorter contracts and having to pay more wage to secure longer contracts. Therein lies the danger, you put someone on a three year contract and pay them more and they turn out to either not fit in or, as we have done far too often, change the manager and the new guy wants his own players and you end up with a dead duck.
    Now, if we stay up and keep PH next season, we have done stability and can look at that situation and maybe give out some longer contracts. It's a difficult balancing act, in hindsight some fans are going to moan that you gave a fat contract to some useless feckker who's bleeding the club dry, or you should have tied down the next Messie to a 10 year contract.

14. Young Nudger

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I've said it before - but I'll say it again
    Barnsley couldn't have GREATLY rewarded the main players in the squad with huge wage increases.
    But they could have increased some contracts slightly and extend them by a year.
    By Christmas they then would have a better understanding of what was required.
    Instead 'it seems' like the club and directors have been riding a wave of pleasure until they have slammed into the January transfer wall.

15. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The fact is that the last season and a half has been pretty unusual. The team had a fantastic second half of last season but were, in the main, still the same players who struggled badly up until xmas in League 1. The club realistically had no idea whether those players would be able to cut it in the Championship - even on this board, awash with positivity as it was in the summer, many people were wondering whether Winnall would be found out or if the team would be up to playing in a higher league.

Promotion will always do that, because the quality required to be successful in a higher division will always be something of an unknown quantity. However, we're now a championship side populated by players who have demonstrated that they can cut it in the championship. In future years, providing that we stay here, we'll know exactly who can perform at this level and will have a lot more latitude to offer them deals accordingly. Yiadom and MacDonald, for example, would now in my view be deserving of a contract extension on higher wages and I'm sure the club would agree. However if, by some miracle, we got promoted this season then once again the jury might be out on whether a contract extension at premier league level would be worth it.

If Barnsley manage to do well this season and it looks like we may be able to cement our place as a championship side over future seasons then the club will have the stability that they require in order to be a bit more confident about contract negotiations. I'm sure that, in that case. they would act accordingly.

16. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hahahahahahaha....!!!

I can imagine your post this time last year if we announced that we had given Hourihane, Winnall etc new 4 year deals. You probably would have said "I'm done. I'm not going again".

Your hindsight is absolutely incredible. You were the only visionary who thinks when we were rock bottom of L1 we should have used that as an opportunity to sign players up longer.

17. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We put Hourihane, winnall, and I think a few others on 3 years contracts without knowing if they would be any good. Maybe we should have had an option to extend if WE wanted to. or a 2 year contract with option of 2 more years if we want to.

something needs doing because putting a player on a 3 years deal while in the championship will mean having to sell him after 18months because if he performs in first 12 months he wont extend and if he doesn't we wont want to. but then if he is fantastic in his second season were fooked again with a player in last year of contract. its **** having no money lol

18. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Like I said there is a job going down at Oakwell and given what you keep telling us you are the ideal candidate

19. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd also add that, sadly, if Sheffield Wednesday are offering Winnall £18k a week, and Villa are willing to pay £30k a week to Hourihane, then we might just have to admit, in the end, that these players are too good for us to be able to pay them what they can get elsewhere. In that case we'll have to look for players who we think can do the business on our pay scale. It's unfortunate, but there's no shame in cutting our cloth.

Maybe the Yorkshire Tykes might be able to offer them more, but I'm happy supporting little old Barnsley.

20. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I was expecting an original idea here ? All been said before.

Not sure why you bothered making this post.

Sent from the darkest recesses of a poisoned mind.