A lovely day out at Fulham on saturday.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Brush, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Only spoilt by 2 things.

1 The ref (obviously)

2 the bloke with his 10 year old lad in front of us. The two of them insisted on standing on the gangway stairs instead of by their seats (understandable for the lad who otherwise couldn't see anything until he eventually stood on his seat). The stewards (who were very polite and helpful throughout) spoke to these two on several occasions and were completely ignored. The bloke (who reeked of beer) continuously shouted abuse and made unpleasant gestures to the Fulham supporters and didn't appear to watch much of the game. He set his son such a shocking example that he will surely grow up to be similarly ingnorant and unpleasant. Made me feel embarrassed to be from Barnsley.

The rest of the travelling Reds made me feel proud. Well done to all who made the effort.

2. RASCAL

RASCAL Member

I stood up every time our goal was attacked, I couldn't see the area between the dee and centre circle because of the gangway, bloke at back of me was whining like a female dog, then he said something to me, only me and kid at side of me had to stand up, I explained, he said I was talking ******, so I didn't speak to him again just carried on standing when I needed to, he kept moaning, I went to bog at half time came back and steward said to me excuse me sir at the back we have a few spare seats would you mind sitting there ?. I said no not at all my view form my allocated seat is obstructed, then the bloke at back of me said Hyup pal I've just sat in your seat and I apologise you was right and I would have done the same so I had a word to see if they had a better seat for you.

3. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Nice to know that some who appear at first to be offensive turn out to be decent human beings after all. I don't get to many away games but what you and the OP describe are fairly typical scenarios in my experience. I've been unlucky enough to miss some of the great away days in the last year but the ones I have been to have been blighted with what is described here.

I sort of understand stewards doing nothing about this - they are not paid enough to put themselves at risk from confrontation, but why can't the chief steward radio to police control and get a couple of uniformed bodies on the scene? I know that plenty have no respect for the law but there is some chance that the offenders would either sit down and behave themselves, or get thrown out (even better).

I go to football to enjoy an afternoon or evening out. I don't go to watch and listen to loutish behaviour.

4. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You have the Western Terrace for that :D

5. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Noth east upper for me old boy :D

Where the knowledgeable fans sit...

6. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just to clarify here, everybody round us were standing so the guy had to stand and the lad wouldn't have seen anything if he'd stood next to his seat. But the bloke could have stood in front of his seat and the lad could have stood on his seat (as he eventually did) then there would have been no problem.

Me and my partner had no problem with standing - if anyone reads my posts, they'll know that I'm in favour of "safe standing" anyway and always stood back in the day.

7. Met

Metatarsal Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Got to admit my son and I stood up for most of the game, struggled to see the far left quarter of the pitch in the seats that went so far to the left they were facing their main stand. Had a similar view at West Ham in the cup a few years ago. All around did the same, for the same reason.

[​IMG]

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

8. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    we were on row S next to the stairs behind you. The only bit we couldn't see well was the corner flag to our right. As I said everybody round us were standing and we had no problem with that.