The Premiership Dream

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Omen, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Ome

Omen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not been a stick in the mud or wanna sound like the late 80s when we said the board dint want to go up but say we sneaked into playoffs and won em (very long shot atm) - just surmising here.

Would it be a good thing to get promoted?

We'd have another rebuilding job to compete in that league, the blueprint we are using would be strained as we are not identifying players ready for the prem really - we are looking for players to develop so would we still be able to carry on? Maybe we could aim a little higher and spend more on the best talent in the prem reserevs and champ first team?

We would most likely have an even harder task than now to win points and id hate for us to be like rotherham are this season in our league.

We would also have all the match fixture changes all the time and i also remember the hangover the club had after we got relegated. It ruined us along with the scramble to get back their. Wouldn't want that again.

But we would have the cash for the next 4 seasons and also a full house and some great players on display. It would be good but i just hope it doesn't make us deviate from our plan so to speak - i just wonder if we have a what if we got promoted plan?

So what would you prefer - solid champ team and fun games or prem whipping boys and coming back down cos we werent ready? I guess if we were a yoyo club from then on it there would never be a dull season! Just like it has been at oakwell since 96/97 to be fair! Its been amazing hasn't it! I listed all the ups and downs a while ago and it takes some beating - and that was before the JPT and lg1 playoff at wembley.

Im just gonna keep enjoying the ride no matter what happens.

You reds!

PS: As an aside i saw a comment on twitter about us having a buy back clause on Hourihane if we got into the prem! Was this a load of ****** or coudl we have managed to get that in there!?

2. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    absolute no brainer for me. never understand this argument. with the right financial management, it could make us a sustainable, competitive club in the championship for decades

3. Goo

Googs Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Even if we got loved every week if we went up, we'd certainly be a much stronger, attractive outfit in the Championship the following season. As Marc says, we could then be competitive longer term.

An absolute no-brainer. But I really don't see us getting into the play-offs anyway. We can but hope though.

4. nezbfc

nezbfc Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's assuming we came back down from the prem.

Beginning of the season we all wanted survival in the championship.

Just imagine. We went up (however unlikely)

We all sit and think to survive in the prem would be our aim.

We took the premier league by storm like we have in the championship.

And end up gatecrashing into Europe instead.

OK. I'll carry on dreaming :)

5. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah you wouldn't not want to go up, even if we kept the exact same model, probably wouldn't work but you still get a sh*t load of money either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Sim

Simon De Montforte Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    If we went up the average crowd would be over 20,000 and provided we had the right scouting network, there would be absolutely no reason we couldn't compete with Burnley, Watford, Bournemouth etc

7. Redstone

Redstone Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Premier league

8. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It would set us up for decades. Even if we went straight back down we'd be cemented as a championship team.

9. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd love to see us in the Premier League again. I'm certain the club would utilise the vast amount of money available much more efficiently than last time. Also, I believe the club will resist the intense pressure there'll be from some quarters to spend all the money on new players.

10. Ome

Omen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ok so you all want premier league....

Did anyone see this PS at the bottom? Anyone hear anything like this? I reckon it was a jokey tweet.

11. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Personally, old mate, I think it's a load of old stool water.

12. MDG

MDG Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep no brainer.. go up, keep faith with the players and a strict wage structure just strenthen the squad rather than rebuild.. If we got relegated, so what, have another crack with those parachute payments with our existing model. No need to go spending big trying to be a force in that league.. It would be great being a prem yo-yo team, virtually a licence to print money..

13. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This time last year

nobody (I mean nobody) would have thought that we'd even be fantasising about such a question right now. In the light of the last 13 months, anything seems possible, so here goes.

If we were to accidentally get in the playoffs and win them, realistically we'd be expecting an unsuccessful relegation fight, but hold on a minute, there a few clubs in there that we've competed with over the years (Leicester, Boro, Burnley, Palace, Sunderland). Given our ability to turn turds unto diamonds, anything's possible and if we did get relegated, we would surely use the money wisely and set ourselves up for many years of decent Championship existence.

14. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

As well as the gates, money for getting promoted, TV money, and parachute money if we came back down, I think we'd be a target for investment or takeover.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

15. Spirit Ditch

Spirit Ditch Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That, in my mind, is the big risk with promotion. If we had our current regime in charge, the money from even one season in the Prem would set us up for the best part of a decade. What is more likely, with PC looking to sell (to the right person) is a new regime taking over with new financial priorities, interests, concepts of risk etc which could destabilise us. That kind of money would attract all sorts of questionable parties

16. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

It's up to Patrick to do due diligence and sell to the party with his clubs best interests in mind.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

17. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The big problem with your post is that you have said solid champ team which we are not and will not be because the board and owner do not believe that we can compete long term in the championship as shown by a reluctance/refusal to give out championship contracts. The are unwilling to do so because it is their belief that we will be relegated, if not this season then next, and we cannot afford to take championship wages down to league 1 with us.

With that in mind the situation should we somehow gain promotion to the premiership would really be no different.

They aren't willing to gamble to keep players at the club when the evidence showed that those players had gelled and we're playing well as a team capable of pushing for promotion. They certainly aren't going to blow huge sums of money on an untested (with us) gamble of staying in a league.

18. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That whilst probably true is a perfect illustration of all that is wrong with the current rules.
    You used to have to build a really competitive squad that would have a chance of competing in the Prem (or first div) now if you can get a squad that can get promotion , irrespective of whether you survive promotion because of the parachute payment system you then do have a real chance of building a competitive squad to try again properly, which is why the league is then stacked against the teams that haven't quite made it (or I suppose have wealthy owners)

19. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    When will people realise that the players themselves decide whether they stay at the club, not the board? If they want to leave, they'll leave. There's absolutely NOTHING that we can do about it. It boils my piss but it is what it is.

To "bribe" them to stay would be financial suicide and you know it, as if a couple of individuals were singled out to receive huge pay rises, the others would knock on the door and team spirit would be lost.

Until the rules change and the financial fair play rules mean what they say, instead of meaning that clubs can intentionally bankrupt themselves (and local businesses which depend on them), we're stuck with the current situation, which we're doing really well to cope with, on and off the field.

20. Ses

Sestren Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Of course we're paying Championship wages - Davies and, particularly, Mowatt wouldn't have signed up for anything less. What we can't and shouldn't do is compete at the top end of the Championship wage table, which is where Winnall and Hourihane found themselves looking after very good half seasons. It remains to be seen what offers Scowen and Watkins get from elsewhere in the summer, but I'm sure that if they're willing to settle for lower-mid Championship wages then we'll pay them.