Who was at this game?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by gooderzone, Oct 16, 2015.

1. gooderzone

gooderzone Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7lE0HfaT0U

Unfortunately I was still but a glint in the milkman's eye. But watching this is fantastic. I find I'm much more interested in finding and watching Barnsley sides of old than I used to be. Fantastic to see some of the stuff that happened on the very same ground we watch our current team today.

Look out for a sublime piece of control from McCarthy around 4 and half minutes and a bullish tackle on Clark around 5 and a half minutes from the same man!

Always known he was a quality laiker but to see it in action on screen is superb.

2. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yeah had a season ticket then - Ian Moores - the big useless get :))

3. Tyke_80

Tyke_80 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Love the shirts, WSB should get of these done

4. gooderzone

gooderzone Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    One time Spurs player according to Wikipedia. Poor fella died in '98 only 43.

5. bfc

bfchris Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I remember it well, Phil Chambers used to get some right grief from a bloke behind me but looks like he played well here - better than I remember. Still got the replica shirt from this season in the cupboard upstairs! Banks used to score some screamers, and I used to like Billy Ronson as well for some reason! Can anyone remember Don Souter? I was at the match where he landed square on his neck and I thought he was dead!!!

6. BFC Dave

BFC Dave Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    I must have been there as I didn't miss a match in those days. Can't remember it though.

Shame about Billy Ronson, 58 is no age nowadays . RIP

7. Micky Finn

Micky Finn Well-Known Member

Light bender
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep - that was one of the two seasons that I didn't miss a game, home or away. The football specials made travel affordable. Interesting watching that and hearing the commentary about the pitch. What was it about back then? We had a top playing surface pretty much all season - one of the best, I'd say. Not sure what happened....

8. Ext

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    **** didn't know that - feel bad now....

Football and watching it and everything around it seemed more honest than it is now.

9. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yes I remember Don Souter - skinny centre half.

Great to see these old clips with the three sides of the ground in shot totally different to what we have now. Some might say it was better then. It was certainly good to have reasonable freedom of movement along the terracing, instead of being crammed into a seat like we are now. Ok, I know I could move seats but it's MY seat and it's easy to get possessive.

Not good to see all the fencing though, at the away end. Glad that all came down. Odd numbering system we had then with a centre half wearing the number seven shirt (Nicky Law, though Ian Evans was first to do that) and a little midfielder wearing number nine (the 1980s Perkins known as Billy Ronson).

RIP Billy and RIP Ian Moores.

10. gooderzone

gooderzone Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  11. Gordon Owen

Gordon Owen Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    When men were men and shorts were ******* short.

I was definitely at the game and I knew we came from a goal down to win late on, but I've seen that footage before, so I don't know if I remember the score from then or the original game. I actually remember next to nothing from the game, I have no recollections what-so-ever of Ian Moores, but I vividly remember John Burridge's hat.

Some things of note:
    Look at the pitch, it's cutting up under every stride, but both teams are playing football. Remember that when a manager complains about the bowling green his team have just played on.

Some people, mostly younger people, will tell you football has moved on, that it improves year on year and the standard now is so much better than it was then. Utter ******* *****. There were more good through balls in those few minutes of highlights from one match than I've seen at Oakwell in the last decade. The fact that players these days can run faster for longer does not improve the standard of the football. If you spend your time getting and keeping fit then you're not spending your time practicing your football skills. The fitter players might win, but it doesn't make the game a better spectacle or the skill on show an improvement.

Check how many attacking players both teams have in the box whenever a cross comes over, even when that team breaks away. There's two forwards, a winger, and two midfield players all trying to get on the end of a cross from one of the full backs. And they've just gone from back to front in about ten seconds. We can sometimes take half an hour to get from our own penalty area to that of the opposition and there's still only Winnall there waiting for the cross. As the players are fitter these days, there really should be no excuse.

13. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yup, I was there. Sadly, though, we were seeing the dismantling of the great 1981/82 team. Ian Evans, Ray McHale & Trevor Aylott had left the previous Summer. By the end of that year we also lost Gary Pierce, Bobby Horn, Alan Birch, Stewart Barraclough, Derrick Parker, Ian Banks & Mick McCarthy.

14. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Remember that. His back sort of bent double the wrong way. I think everyone in the ground was very concerned but he got up and played on. It didn't improve him any.

15. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm pretty sure I was at the game with [MENTION=6980]Ponty72[/MENTION] and our Dad. We'd have been stood huddled up in the west stand.

16. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They would hev a dip from any distance anall and not try to pass it into net every time.

17. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ad be into Brewery stand missen.

18. Ext

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I didn't see much square passing along the halfway line or just in front of our box in that vid - so neanderthal

19. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Every player receives the ball and looks up. Every one of them. And what they see is their team mates running in all different directions trying to make some space for themselves. The player on the ball tries to find his team mate with the most space in the best position. The better teams achieve this much more often. It's that ******* simple. I'm not saying it's easy, it's a difficult skill otherwise we could all do it, but it is very simple and it's got bugger all to do with formations.

This is the formation we should play from now on: when we're on the attack we should get forrad, when we're defending, we should get back. Now learn how to pass the ball and run in to space.

20. Ext

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Coaching badges have ****** English football - or rather the obsession with having to be qualified in order to know how to play football.