So, there aren't enough teachers to fill the vacancies, not surprised.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Mr Badger, Jan 20, 2016.

1. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You sir are a rare person :) Can I ask what age/subject you teach, how long you've been teaching and what your catchment area is like?

2. Gloria Stitts

Gloria Stitts Active Member

Some of the people I mentioned earlier, the ones on minimum wage, no sick pay, no pension, 20 days holiday, some of those are teaching, covering PPA in schools, don't they have it a lot worse?

3. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why would people who cover PPA in schools only get 20 days holiday, who are they covering for when it's the holidays? Also, HLTAs and cover supervisors do get sick pay. Once again, what you are saying is nonsensical. Also, if they are not qualified teachers they don't have appraisal and therefore the stress. If they don't have responsibility for a class they don't have all the paperwork and therefore the stress. True, they don't get as much money but I wouldn't say they have it worse, no. It depends what you define as 'worse' of course.

Either way, you're now talking about people who still work in education so of course they are being screwed over. Everyone in education is, including the kids.

4. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    If they have qualifications, a good work ethic and some gumption and present themselves well they WILL find better. I took a gamble at 46 years of age, chucked my job...struggled for a year with encouragement from my wife, paid tuition and exam fees myself to get my MCSE and then applied for jobs. It paid off. Also, most of the jobs you mention do not eat into your personal life in the same way as teaching or management rolls.

I get a bit fed up with people moaning about how other people have it better and how 'lucky they are'. Yep' there is some luck (as with all things in life, but many people make their own luck and many (not all I agree) of those who are jealous tossed it off at school or suffer from the 'rights rather than responsibility' mentality.

Try watching the film In pursuit of happiness and you'll get the idea. Many people are happy to plod on through life. get paid on a Friday, 'piss it away at the weekend and go back to work on the Monday.

Anyone on the minimum wage will NOT be "teaching" PPA - please give examples!!

5. spi

spidermatt Member

Teacher
    Style:
    Barnsley
    You may.

11-18
    English and (when I get chance and a good cohort) English Literature. My passion is books, reading and the lost art of conversation so every day is a bit of a holiday to me because I get to indulge them on a regular basis.

That's not to say there aren't pressure moments- like all secondaries, the challenge to reach even the most basic floor target can be very difficult and can take its toll but I've learned to live with it- even turn it to my advantage and enjoy it.

I've been teaching 10 years, risen to AHT, found it wasn't for me and returned to a heavier teaching work load and less admin stress.

It's a school you know and a challenging one. Apologies if that seems unnecessarily mysterious but this is a public forum and- due to the job- I keep my on line presence to an absolute minimum.

6. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    [MENTION=55920]JamDrop[/MENTION]

There are always people like Gloria Stitts who think teachers are 'lucky' well paid and have an easy life. Having spent 34 years with my wife and seen the tears, frustrations and stress (even though she is a strong personality she did succumb quite a few years ago and had a few months off sick) she has gone through they, frankly, wind me up. I should not even have graced the post with an answer as it is an ill-informed, idiotic inaccurate post based on jealousy and a misplaced sense of injustice. Ho-hum. there are plenty of us spouses and people who Do see how (unnecessarily0 hard the job has become. Most of the stress is borne out of frustration as professionals know How teaching should be done and the constant measuring and statistics gathering is not beneficial to kids, parents or teachers.

7. manxtyke

manxtyke Well-Known Member

im not a real welder
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    **** me ive niver seen as many qualifications on one thread in my life, so why have we got so many thick ****s around
    just sayin :confused:
    HTH

8. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No worries about not naming it, I completely understand that! I'm glad you're enjoying teaching and reading is definitely the best thing in the world!!

9. Gloria Stitts

I'm talking about sports coaches like the ones who work at BFC and other football clubs, they run holiday clubs during the holidays.

10. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Oh, you do make me chuckle. One, that you had something specific in mind but made it like a game of Guess Who? and two, that you think people who run clubs have a worse time than teachers. You are aware that teachers also run clubs, right? For free. On top of everything else they do (I'm currently running a Ballroom Dancing Club for our annual competition). Including in the holidays (extra exam tuition at high school or for SATs). Oh, and unpaid residentials could also come into this category too (one of which I will be taking my kids on shortly).

11. Gloria Stitts

They don't just run clubs though they do half-day and full-day PPA cover and experience all of the downsides of teaching and none of the bonuses.

12. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Stop it, it hurts to smile on the side where my tooth has gone!

13. spi

spidermatt Member

Teacher
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Sorry, for the sake of clarity could you explain this to me?

I'm not being sarcastic I'm just unsure what you mean. After school and holiday coaches are covering lessons while teachers have planning time? Is that what you mean?

14. Gloria Stitts

Yes, there are loads of companies doing it, in Barnsley you have Barnsley FC, Team Active, Active Barnsley, and a number of others.

15. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's obvious they work all day every day in school teaching and every day of the holidays too. Then at home they mark all the footballs, have parent's evening with the goal posts, write reports for the kits, fill in intervention forms for the pitch, write and submit lesson plans for the scoreboard, record and regularly update levels and targets for the whistles and design and put up displays for the referee! All whilst getting minimum wage, no sick pay, no pension (no idea why they couldn't get up their own private one) and 20 days holiday which they'll never be able to take as you can't take holidays in school time and they work all the holidays! Poor sods; I guess they do have it worse after all.

16. Gloria Stitts

Actually the pension thing is going to be sorted by the government but ATM it's a bit hard to pay for a private pension on mimimum wage.

I was right you really don't know how lucky you are.

17. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'll tell myself that next time I'm considering suicide due to work caused depression.

18. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Someone should have told these people too. http://www.channel4.com/news/teachers-suicide-rates-double-in-a-year

I notice the article is from 2011, I can only imagine it has got worse since then as the job certainly has.

Standout quotes incase you don't read it:

'Instances of suicide are now 30-40 per cent higher for teachers than the national average.'

'And they often point to research commissioned by the Health and Safety Executive, which found that teaching is the most stressful profession in the UK, with 41.5 per cent of teachers reporting themselves as 'highly stressed': double the number across the working population.'

19. spi

spidermatt Member

Teacher
    Style:
    Barnsley
    But surely they are providing a 'bought in' service- a service I assume they were established to do?

If that's the case, they're not covering any PPA particularly- you wouldn't take an hour of numeracy or literacy off a student for this service- it would be built in to the curriculum.

I understand your point about the conditions (minimum wage etc) but the expectations placed on them in that hour of coaching are radically different to that of a time tabled teacher for example.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

Which is always possible.

20. spi

spidermatt Member

Teacher
    Style:
    Barnsley
    See my previous post, luck has nothing to do with it.