Minority Report v QPR

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Red Rain, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Red

Red Rain Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    What follows is my account and opinion of what happened and why. I wrote it last night but did not have the courage to post it. I wrote it this way because recording my impressions, untouched by emotions and hype (shortened just for Mike Lowry) is important to me, just as it is when we are losing games regularly and I am also trying to find a reason for it that does not involve writing-off the players and the manager as hopeless. If you want to read about feelings and emotions, there are lots of other threads that will give you what you want. This is not one of them. Stop reading here Mike.

The first half was a re-run of the Derby game. We are newly promoted, we were winning at half time and for most people that is all the information that they need. For me though, the game needs to be about more than formula football, more than 11 players doing exactly as they were told by the coach, and for me, that is exactly what I saw in that first half. We led from an early Watkins goal, once more from a set piece, and that was it.

In our last third, the players are not allowed to play football. They are merely instructed to get distance on every clearance, and the central defenders do so with both head and feet. There is little attempt to find a player ahead of them, and indeed there are very few players ahead of them because midfield is so deep. Once again, our central mid-field pair was so close to the line of the back four that they were virtually standing on their toes. This denied any room to the QPR no10 (Chery) but does not give the defenders a pass when they win the ball back. Up front, the two forwards are expected to work wonders from not very much. The formation makes Bradshaw look a very poor buy, and if we continue in this fashion, ultimately there is no place for him in our team. But he is not the only one who does not look like they are enjoying things. The system requires that Scowen and Hourihane do not get ahead of the ball, even though both full backs are allowed to. Scowen looks distinctly average when he is not allowed to play his natural, all action game. The opposite is true of Hourihane who finds much more room/time just in front of our back four, which he uses to spray passes to our two wide players and the two full backs. The problem is that killer passes are just not possible when playing as deep as Hourihane did in the first half, and as a result, everything came across the face of the QPR defence. Everything looked fine and QPR never created a chance, but my problem is that after the goal, neither did we. The way that we played is designed to take the sting out of the game, which it did, along with all the entertainment. It is deep defensive football designed to hold on to a lead rather than entertain. I have read lots of posts which tell me how we dominated that first half, but I do not know how that is possible with less than 50% of possession. What we did was take the sting out of the game by defending deep and in numbers.

It was clear that QPR changed tactics at the start of the second half. They decided that the answer to the way that we played was to break quickly and to allow their pace to tell against a more stretched defence, but the first penalty was also a lapse in concentration by Marc Roberts. On other occasions, they broke quickly from Barnsley set pieces at the QPR end and we were lucky on a couple of occasions that the ball broke for us, but the game was more open, and it was a much better game because of it. The second goal came from another misjudgement from another of our young players. James Bree knew right away, and QPR scored again from a second penalty, and I must confess that I did not see us coming back from it.

Payne had already replaced the Bradshaw before the second QPR goal, with little improvement in our ability to retain the ball up front, and it was hard to see how we could get back into the game. Indeed, there was controversy about the way that we did so. In my opinion, the push on Conor Hourihane was nothing, but Conor forced the referee into making a decision by falling onto the ball and grabbing it. The ref could either give a free-kick for a push or a free-kick for a hand ball, but he could not wave play on. He chose the home option and Conor hit the 25 yard free-kick high into the QPR net. I can understand why QPR were so incensed by the decision, and JFH has been unstinting in his criticism of the referee after the match. He has a point.

The withdrawal of Watkins and introduction of D’Almeida signalled that PH had decided that a draw was enough, but the introduction released Scowen into a role for which he is better suited, and it was on one of his supporting runs that the QPR defence got itself into a tangle and Scowen half-volleyed home the winner from 10 yards. Once again, I could see that there was a basis for criticising the referee after the game if you were the QPR manager. Certainly, if the ball had been scored at the other end, I would have expected PH to ask the same questions. Even though we had not had the depth of player quality that QPR possessed, we had won the game. The final slap in the face for QPR was the justified dismissal of Grant Hall for a second bookable offence, this time holding back Payne when he was about to go clear.

I enjoyed the second half, which I thought was superb entertainment, but in the first half, I could see the cogs turning in the machine. I could see the ideas of the coach and his master plan being carried out to the letter. There was nothing off the cuff, nothing made up on the spot. Rather than the talent and individual skills of the players, we had 11 players playing the game according to a formula, and that spoilt it for me.

2. Old

Old Gimmer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can I just say that that the first 20 minutes was probably the best football I've seen from a Barnsley team for a long, long time.

3. Idi

Idioteque1988 Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    To put a point to you Red - You say we played formulaic football and that is a bad thing..

I saw plenty of flair and creativity from our players - particularly the 70 yard run from White, the trinagle interplay between Scowen, Hourihane, and one of the wingers depending on which side we were on. I see nothing wrong with the balance of organisation off the ball and flair on it, and whilst I agree we lumped it up a bit too much I think that was necessary knowing their pace and our position in the game. Hecky knows QPR's strength - pace and physicality. If we got caught out up the pitch at 1-0 up by a squad known for fast counter attacking football we would all be incensed, he did what was needed to win the game and played to the strengths of our squad and the weaknesses of theirs.

4. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    2 points :

QPR gave at least as good as they got - Mawson in particular was lucky not to be injured when he was taken out mid air in the first half. Swings & roundabouts.

'cogs turning' - we are embarking on a 46 game season in which we are competing against teams with resources that make ours look insignificant and by definition more experienced and 'better' players. We have to be organised, we have to work harder. If that means forsaking individuality on occasions then so be it. But I think you do a disservice to a team with Kent, Hammill and Hourihane when you say nothing was 'made up on the spot' - it was throughout the 90, including the 1st half when we not only out thought and out fought QPR, but at times we footballed them to death. That won't happen for the full 90 in 46 games. We have to know when to do it and when to compact and organise. We did that last night, save for 2 errors. It's a learning curve.

5. redarmychris

redarmychris Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The first 20 minutes was some of the best football I've ever seen Barnsley play. Ever. Everything about it brought the natural game out of the players.

QPR were bound to get on top eventually they were a goal behind and a team in form.

If you can't enjoy that then you either dislike us playing well as it gives you no genuine reason to write this 'minority report' or you have a mental illness in which case I feel for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. RC_

RC_tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You do realise we're in the championship having just taken 6 points off QPR and Derby right? I know everyone has their opinion but seems to me like you just want to be controversial, just enjoy what's happening at the minute.

As has been mentioned, the first 20/25 minutes we were in complete control (Adam Davies must've been getting a bit bored haha) and being a couple of goals up wouldn't have been surprising. And yes, Conor may have gone down a bit easily but so did their striker for their first penalty. He couldn't wait to go down in the area and the ref couldn't wait to give it. Jimmy Floyd was moaning at the fourth official ALL game so I'm not surprised by his comments after the game but (I know I'm biased) I don't recall us getting one 50-50 decision the whole game.

Just enjoy us winning because I imagine we won't keep this up for the duration of the season.

7. pompey_red

pompey_red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Gets popcorn.

I know I'm not alone in thinking that you go out of your way to find fault and offer a contrary opinion just for the sake of it. If following a managers instruction makes footballers and football boring then what's the point. For me yesterday was an example of playing to a plan and executing that plan.

it's been plainly obvious since hecky got the job our reasons for success are to utilise the wide players as an outlet letting the central 2 sit deep. This isn't a new thing that happened last night!

Enjoy the ride now and again

8. redarmychris

redarmychris Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The ironic thing about this report is that Red Rain claims himself to be a meticulous footballing tactician and is often stating how the players should have played and what they should have done.

Yet now he believe our tactics are being too forced upon the players.

You need to make your mind up on your philosophy. You're contradicting yourself over each report as due to forcing reasons to make your opinion minority.

9. spi

spidermatt Member

Teacher
    Style:
    Barnsley
    Some of the movement and play in the first half was breath taking. Bradshaw, for me, worked his socks to do a job and it took him away from opportunities to score. With the midfield adopting a policy of driving runs followed by stinging shots he was unlucky not to be in the right place at the right time just once.

QPR got a lesson for the first 40 minutes and it's the first time in a long time i've seen a team that looked almost frozen because of the opposition. A relatively balanced, yet utterly entertaining, game of football broke out in the second half.

QPR can have no complaints about the ref. On a few occasions you had at least two, if not more, players harassing him about decisions and he bottled the letter of the (new) law.

QPR came expecting a lot more than they got- resulting in a few grapes of the sour variety.

Come what may this season, I think most will point to this game as one where the football was- for the most part- fantastic.

10. Prince of Risborough

Prince of Risborough Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In total agreement!

11. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Think you should change the title from 'Minority Report' to 'Deliberately Contrary Report'.

Lost count of the times we played lovely, flowing moves in the first half, stemming from a hard won midfield dominance that the superb Scowen enforced early on. We created loads after the goal, one (uncoachable) move I remember had everyone around us gasping and we were rueing not getting a deserved second or third. I can count numerous occasions when Scowen was beyond the ball too. Not to mention that we have skilful and pacy wingers and full-backs for that very reason.

Don't waste yer popcorn on this thread, folks.

12. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

I'm sensing in these reports something of an existentialist crisis, or perhaps a desire to break out of what Max Weber called the 'iron cage' of bureaucracy. Modern life, with all it's policies, procedures and performance standards can be frustrating, and can lead us to want to express our individuality - despite, or perhaps even because it puts us out of step with the crowd.

13. Mr Badger

Mr Badger Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I appreciate your lengthy in depth assessment RR, if that's the sort of thing you like to do... or feel the need to do, then that's your prerogative, but what it does for me is it tends to spoil what was a fantastic evening overall.
    I witnessed a terrific good old battling Barnsley performance packed with skill, hard work, tons and tons of effort and the result was the reward for all that.
    I am not able to dissect a game like you can, what I see is what is I see. If we play badly I see that, if we play well I see that, and last night was an occasion to savour regardless of petty detail. I drove home full of pride and chuffed to pieces, no way did I disseminate the performance, the players, the tactics.
    That is up to you it seems.
    I'm not being critical but am, right now, one very happy BFC fan.

14. Red

Reds Fan Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's a shortened version??!!

15. occ

occook Banned Idiot

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Think you've hit the nail on the head. Finding supposed fault in our play is not observational it is deliberately critical. At no point were all the positive aspects of the game pointed out.

There are various methods of trolling. This poster trolls in a pseudo intellectual manner.

16. Tyk

Tyketicus Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    ive stopped reading your drivel i'm afraid

17. Red

Reds Fan Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I normally find your reports interesting Red Rain but this latest one is as bizarre a post as I've seen on this board and if you had shared those opinions in a less educated style people would be calling for you to be banned. Criticising the coach for having a clear plan and tactics and then criticising the players for following the managers instructions is just bonkers.

18. Dan

DannyWilsonLovechild Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    There was a stage last season I really used to enjoy reading your thoughts. They had a depth, and although sometimes i disagreed with them, it was a good counter balance, or prompted thought.

I'm not sure what has happened along the way, whether you've painted yourself into a corner where you have to take an opposing view, purposefully offer a controversial opinion to a majority (hence your title), or if you just have to find fault and nit pick.

I don't know you, so it's pure conjecture on my part, but i think your contributions have diminished greatly, and I find that quite sad.

There seems no joy in your writing. And I don't know how you will find that joy. Maybe you're just at a cycle that you can't enjoy it anymore? I've been there and despite the majority loving parts of the post DW years, I just couldn't find enjoyment in them and walked away for a time.

This current side is a joy to me. A bunch of young hungry players, eager to learn and improve. The only team i can compare it to at this stage is that time under Danny. Not as good, because it hasn't proven itself for a long period.

But the way they overcome adversity, the way they prove people wrong, the way they refuse to give up with no little flair, and a mix of teamwork and individual flair in places. Joy is the only word that comes close for me personally.

And thats what I suspect jars with many. That they see a purposefully created squad with attributes pre-selected and coached and now coming to fruition in results and performance. That they see a seldom experienced unity with terrace, pitch and board room. That they feel a pride in the team who show a pride in the shirt and perceive they are represented.

Then they read a minority and just can't see what youre saying because it doesn't fit with how they feel.

There is no such thing as perfect. There is always better, of course.

But there should be a point where a supporter can be satisfied with what their team are doing. That their flaws are outweighed by their attributes.

I can only speak for myself, but thats where I am right now. A proud fan, revelling in a rare unity. And loving every single minute of the 2016-17 version of BFC.

19. ryhilltyke

ryhilltyke Well-Known Member

Construction Worker
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Been watching us over 36 years. Easily amassed 1000+ games as have a lot of our fans. That first 20/25 minutes was as good as I've seen any side play at Oakwell. It was simply a joy to watch. Mesmeric at times. Impossible to keep that up for 90 minutes for any team.
    In the words of Robin Williams. "No man in history, has ever been in need of blow job"

20. M.C.Tyke

M.C.Tyke Active Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The responses to the original post have been very kind so far in my opinion. I've never met anyone who attempts to sterilize the game like this before in my entire life. The performance last night was wonderful and a reminder why so many of us fell in love with the game and this club.