So, there aren't enough teachers to fill the vacancies, not surprised.

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Mr Badger, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Exec assistant & doing some project management.

Some feel trapped as though it's all they can do but they've unbelievable transferable skills. Loads of options.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

2. Luke

Luke Ambassador to Korea

Teacher
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    Partly the reason I moved abroad to teach. More money, better life and no stress.

And - get this - people actually respect teachers here.

3. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep, the trapped feeling is really hard to get away from. I'm looking into doing a masters in librarianism and information management. The only problem there is that there aren't that many jobs (plus the pay is no where near the same).

4. Ext

Extremely Northern Well-Known Member

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree, but convincing someone who's done it all their life and feels they'd let the children down if they left is a task in itself...

Your gurt's done the right thing

5. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Project Management. Change Management. Process design. Business Analysis.

All stuff businesses are crying out for, particularly Business Analysis. And even if you start on the bottom rung, you'll be getting equivalent to what you'd get teaching after a couple of years - and less hours.

6. Ext

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Time to do some research, cheers.

7. Dys

Dyson Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's all structured, organised work with a requirement for people to not be tw@ts & manage stakeholders. Exactly what teaching is.

They all steer towards training and fluffy stuff. F.ck that. Their skill is in managing situations and people.

8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    We're paying the mortgage off early, we're not going to upgrade, no fancy cars, no loans, no debt, so in a few years she can do what the hell she likes. She may want to stick to the teaching profession or do something along the lines of what Dyson has mentioned, but once the mortgage is done she can work part time in a garden centre or become a shepherd or make artisan cheese or whatever she fancies and whatever will make her happy.

9. Ext

Professional Northerner.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Wish we could, trying my hardest with a few things to earn enough so she can jack, otherwise it's the nut house.

10. Whi

Whitey Guest

I have just one thing to add to this thread.

Some of the most memorable people I've met throughout my 34 year old life have been teachers/tutors. I owe a hell of a lot to a couple of them who really helped alter my way of thinking at a time when if I hadn't have done, I'd have gone down the path quite a few of my mates did. I still recall certain conversations we had, advice they gave me etc. They're still helping me to this very day, and won't know it.

It will come as no shock to nobody who knows me, that whilst ark104 and I went to the same school at the same time, when he was busy learning and being a good lad, that I was busy fighting and being a bad lad. A lot of upheaval in my life as I became a teenager, including deaths, foster care, kids homes, reuniting with family and other nonsense. It made Andrew a very angry and troubled boy. Had I not dropped on those two teachers/tutors at the end of my schooling and start of further education, I'd have continued down that bad path my unfortunate mates did.

It wasn't an instant thing. And like I say, I still recall the lessons (conversations really) to this day. They still help me in certain situations. So they were genuine 'life lessons'.

Miss Sinclair now lives and teaches in New Zealand and Mr Wilson retired to run a pub in the Cotswolds. I saw him a year or so ago by chance in the White Rose shopping thing, he instantly spotted me and came and gave me a big hug (he's 6 foot 6 or summat, played Rugby) and I started welling up trying to say thanks and that. "you were always a soppy get, Whitey lad". Top bloke. Wouldn't imagine a similar reunion with Miss Sinclair. She was a dragon, she hated me I think. But she did more for me than she ever knew.

What the **** am I rambling about? No idea. But aye, teachers are cool. Too cool for school.

*I did get royally bolloxed during my college days though, to be fair..

11. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's our plan too. We're saving like **** (except one holiday a year, I'd go insane in this job without at least one thing a year to look forward to, it's the only time I truly stop thinking about school) to buy a house and then I can do whatever I want. Luckily, my husband doesn't do too badly as a software developer so I just need to stick it out for a few years longer (probably about 8 more years :( )

12. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    My wife's been a deputy head since she was 26. She's 33 now. I genuinely don't know how she does it. She's been asked to go for headships but doesn't want to until we've finished having kids, plus she doesn't want to give up the teaching side yet. Trouble is IMHO deputy head is the hardest role of the lot. All the teaching, the management side and acting as the go between the staff and the head.

She definitely had a wobble last year when she thought about leaving teaching full stop. Someone who has excelled in the profession, rated outstanding for teaching by OFSTED, mentors NQTs, leads literacy and moderates for the LEA, and only 10 years in to her working life. And she has considered walking away from the profession, the principle of which she loves. That is ridiculous and the government is sleepwalking in to an absolute crisis.

13. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Soo many things I could say but won't.

14. Tek

Tekkytyke Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    [MENTION=55920]JamDrop[/MENTION]

My wife taught primary for 34 years. She always wanted to stay in the classroom and so never tried to climb the career ladder. As you know, teaching has changed massively (for the worst) over that time and in the end it was successive Education secretaries that wore her down, and not the actual job of teaching. Ofsteds were a time of real stress in our household and she often had sleepless nights and tears for a few days before the inspections in spite of always getting positive feedback (and a special high praise mention for her observed lesson in the final one she had before retirement).

Each year the classes were like Forrest Gump's chocolates...you never know what you'll get - Some years were great but, occasionally, she experienced the class from hell, When she decided to tale the hit by taking her retirement and maximum lump sum early at 59 she did a few months part time supply work whilst we were selling our house. Within a short time she was regularly asked for by a number of schools , simply because she stayed behind, helped with planning and genuinely cared about the kids rather than just being in it for the money.

I spent around 10 years in FE on the non-teaching side having come into it based on previous diverse employment experiences but 10 years before she retired I re-trained and got a well paid job in IT/Telecoms. Ironically I considered myself pretty c*rap at that but with benefits/shares salary was quickly earning 3 time what I was earning when working in FE doing -even if I say so myself - a good job with skill levels well beyond what would be considered a wage commensurate with abilities. Even more ironic I quickly overtook my wife as the main earner in the household which was ridiculous given my wife's experience, qualifications, skills and long service. However, this enabled us to retire early and relocate abroad.

The difference to my wife has been amazing. After the high stress levels of the job she has become a different person. Much happier, relaxed and looking forward to the future.

Statistically, the pensions authorities figures highlighted a few years ago that teachers retiring at 65 average life expectancy after retirement was 18 months. i.e. dying under 67 Retiring at 60 pushed their life expectancy to living to over 79 years of age. How bad will it be if teachers have to work until they are 68??

Anyone who thinks teaching is easy "and you are lucky to have a job like" that is, frankly, either a WUM or a fool . My wife did her utmost to dissuade our new son-in-law (who has a degree already) from giving up a well paid job, add to his student loan and do a teaching qualification in one year. When he stuck to it she did give him as much help as she could and he qualified with distinction and got two job offers and is currently enjoying the job! Strange guy :) We hope it lasts -he is only in his first year as an NQT) although, as he is a male teacher in primary I think he is already being groomed for future promotion. In fairness he seems to be very good at it and is already liked and respected by his former tutors , staff parents and even the kids!

MY advice - not that its worth much - is to stick at it, and follow through with your plan to get out!. We were lucky (although she took the double hit of State Pension retirement age for women of her age moving twice from 60 to 63 and then 63 to 66 within a couple of years) we were still fortunate enough to be able to carry out our plan although we had to lower our expectations slightly. Health and well being is far more important than money so long as you have food, heat clothes, a roof over your head and your kids are happy, financially sorted and well adjusted.
    Good luck and , as a teacher you have my respect and admiration. I would probably be serving a life sentence or living in a padded cell if I had tried it!

15. JamDrop

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks Tekky! I'm glad your wife is much happier now and I just need to bite the bullet I think. Some days I tell myself that I'm being unrealistic and every job would make me feel depressed, just for different reasons, or that I'm being over the top and putting a lot of stress on myself and that I should stick with it and care less. At other times I tell myself that no job is worth this and my happiness is more important than not giving up.

Like your wife, I'm also choosing to stay in the classroom rather than moving up, as teaching is what I want to do and I certainly don't need any more stress. However, I look at the management staff and they only teach 2 lessons a week so they do the rest of their job during non-teaching time. Getting out of the classroom more is probably the only way to cope as the less you teach, the less you have to plan and mark. Thing is then though, you're not really a teacher anymore!

As you can tell by even just this post, stress has ruined me to the point where I just can't make any decisions anymore. I can spend an hour agonizing and sometimes even crying about what to have for tea on an evening!

16. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Excellent post.

17. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Reassuring words and a great post. We're at a crossroads just now, and what you have said there really strikes a chord.

Anyone who says teachers have it easy, have long holidays etc., has no clue what they are talking about.

18. Shy Talk

Shy Talk Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This debate has bugger all to do even with football, let alone Barnsley FC - and yet its one of the best threads Ive ever read in all the years Ive been reading this board in all its incarnations. Certainly the best non-football thread. Reasoned, sensible and respectful debate which has attracted a large number of contributors with very diverse backgrounds and opinions with not a 'Johnson out' or 'hth' in sight.

THIS is what we stand to lose if Gally does ever get pushed beyond the end of his tether, which can't be far away.

19. Red

Red-Taff. Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Are there any teachers who are not overworked/stressed out/desperate to leave or is every teacher in every school at the end of their tether?

20. spi

spidermatt Member

Teacher
    Style:
    Barnsley
    It's hard work and challenging but it's what I absolutely love and I wouldn't consider getting out for anything other than a major lottery win!!!