Can you actually believe

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by Tyketical Masterstroke, Feb 1, 2017.

1. North Yorks Red

North Yorks Red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Heres a thought

people have4 been saying for ages that Marley Watkins is wasted out wide and he wants to play central. Its known that Hecky has been having discussions since his transfer request , maybe the idea is for Marley to fill the central role and we have 'replaced' his former position.

2. Mat

Mateo Corbo Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Has anyone thought that maybe Bradshaw was Winnall's replacement? Forward planning and all that. And we now have Watkins, Hedges and the young lad Brown as the back up to our favoured front two of armstrong and Bradshaw. We are all about giving youth a chance aren't we? Hecky wanted another striker in but it wasn't to be. Not the end of the world. I'm shocked at how quickly people are willing to have a go at the club here, considering how far we have come in the last 12 months. Cheer up, we're 8th in the championship and 2 points off the play offs. The huge overreaction of many on this board is what really defies logic in my eyes.

3. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Who?

4. e-red

e-red Well-Known Member

Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not according to his goal record in Div 2

5. Loa

Load Bearing Pillar Well-Known Member

The West Stand, second along from the Ponty end
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Sadly yes I can believe it. A totally underwhelming transfer window leaving a squad with huge gaps in it and yet again an over reliance on loan signings.

6. fit

fitzytyke2 Well-Known Member

How do we know he's poor? I've seen every minute he's played, and it's not really enough to judge the lad one way or the other.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

7. Lew

Lewis Member

Home Page:
    Payne isn't poor at all he's just raw and having to deal with being 3 leagues higher than last season. We weren't saying he was poor against QPR when he pinned their very strong centre half and flicked it into the path of Scowen to rifle it in last minute and win 3-2 were we? The lad looks like he has all the tools to be a good player eventually. But there's no point in him getting a few minutes here and there so he's gone out to get those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Of course I'd love us to sign more players and have a proper dart at the big time, yes I am disappointed we can't do that - but I grudgingly accept it is that we can't, not that we just didn't.

9. Tyk

Tyketical Masterstroke Well-Known Member

Dry buumer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So - serious question, as I feel like we're doing quite well at having a proper conversation - do you think this strategy has taken us as far as it possibly can?

10. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    For me Bradshaw was Winnall`s replacement and Moncur was Hourihanes. We need shut of Moncur for me, I`d play Josh Kay before him.

11. troff

troff Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I know, sharing different opinions without falling out. Some could take heed...

As for your question -

No. I'm not sure it has.

We weren't buying players from Leeds and Swansea in league one - the strategy is the same but we are scouting at a slightly higher starting point now. We will therefore be more likely to be bringing in better quality than when shopping solely in league two/non league (though we must never stop looking for gems there).

So no - it hasn't gone as far as it 'possibly' can. There is no reason that we can't still progress, it's had success thus far so it would be folly to abandon the strategy without seeing it through.

However, on a realistic point, other clubs throw stupid money at getting out of this league. Most fail and implode, but it does make it less likely we can further succeed as we have thus far I suppose - by which I mean further promotion in the short term.

But there's a lot to be said for hard work, team ethic and organised roles.

Could we get to the premier league in this manner? Possibly, maybe not likely. But we could easy as hell end up in league one, two, oblivion and liquidation by acting as some other clubs do.

I'm interested to see how it progresses. It's not a normal football approach but I have no reason to stop backing it.

We may drop off a little from now to may - but I would hazard a guess that summer recruitment, whilst always hindered by budget, will be boosted by a lot of hungry players aching to play for this club in the knowledge of the platform we provide.

The manager and the retention of his services is more vital than any player for that reason.

If we can continue and grow into an established championship club and build up our money, if we don't flirt too closely with the bottom third, we will at times be well placed to finish strongly. This year, as ridiculous as it sounds, perhaps we were hampered by being a bit too good too soon and vulnerable for asset stripping.

Look at Southampton. They appear to have no net spend, and yet get better every year. Only we couldn't do that with a new gaffer every year!

12. Redstar

Redstar Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This.

13. Wat

Watcher_Of_The_Skies Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Well said +1

14. Joh

Johnny the tyke Well-Known Member

Beer Baron
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Loan move is a wise move I reckon, provided that we have a recall clause! If he plays competitively each week, and gets goals if we need to recall him he comes back fit and full of confidence!

He has looked ok when I have seen him play in a Reds shirt so comment think the "as poor as he is" is out of order!

The lad played in the conference last year just one tier below Omar Bogle but scored more goals that him! Yet most would have been happy to see us sign Bogle. Both unproven at this level but Payne record at that level is top draw. Scoring 43 goals in 83 appearances for Dover!

15. Loa

Load Bearing Pillar Well-Known Member

The West Stand, second along from the Ponty end
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not sure you can recall anymore outside of transfer windows.

16. Joh

Johnny the tyke Well-Known Member

Beer Baron
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    In terms of forwards I would have liked another to come in, ideally a big lad to add some height and physical presence. But we have 3 strong forwards in Bradshaw, Watkins and Armstrong. If we pick up a key injury than recall Payne. I guess Hecky would also consider Hedges, Ryan Williams, Jake Charles (recall), Jacob Brown or other academy lads if needed.