Doom merchants anonymous

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board' started by 55&counting, Feb 16, 2017.

1. 55&counting

55&counting Well-Known Member

Avid Vic & Bob fan.
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Seriously, not a wind up, where have you all gone? I'm genuinely interested in what your opinion is of the managers comments on our new heroes and the fact that he wants people to stop whingeing and moaning and the fact that he thinks he has a stronger group of players now.
    Any response would be most welcome.

2. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'm not a doom merchant. I think the transfer window was poor for us and that we need to be need to look at how we offer and improve contracts to reflect performance. Life isn't black and white it's different shades of grey.

3. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I think we've a stronger squad now. Some people on here were predicting 4 points from games in February and March. Only -1 to go.

4. DusThaNoIII

DusThaNoIII Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Being appalled by our transfer dealings and how many millions were squandered by gross incompetence in dealing with contracts ain't changed by results. I'm delighted the team is somehow still strong all I think thanks to hecky but we are sleepwalking into the exact same situation next year as these "new heroes" are equally ridiculously on short contracts.

5. Chi

Chief Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Ok, I will bite. Still here and been surprised and pleased by recent results. Genuinely impressed by Hecky who seems the real deal. However, the first good offer from a higher club, he will go in my opinion. Wouldn't you get fed up having your best players sold for comparative peanuts compared to every other championship club. Really impressed with the coaching and development going on at the club, it's got to be one of the best in the league. Our sales though are pathetic, no other word for it.

However, still feel detached from the team as it's not ours, half of it is borrowed from the premier league. Apart from Davies, not one player has signed back up. Marley asked for a transfer and is treated still as a hero, why?

We have a stronger team, I agree, but it's not ours. Not a chance of signing anyone we have borrowed. We haven't extended any contracts and seem unable to do so.

Just my opinion, but I hate loads of loan players. A couple, yes, to fill in for injury, but half the team?

Just wish we had a team we could identify with rather than a handful of heros we have now.

There you go, have fun with that.

6. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    we only had 3 loan players on the pitch at any time during the Villa game. That's not half a team

7. Duntpasstome

Duntpasstome Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The only way to keep our players is to pay big wages but I don't want us to be paying 18k to a player to sit on the bench.
    We also look to have a strong cm mowatt, scowen,moncur, sessi all ours + James.
    Keep going as we are.

8. Glo

GloucesterRedsBigBro Well-Known Member

Retired Bus Driver
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    You can't run a multi million pound business without a strong effective board of directors and expect solid sustainable progress.

9. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Eh? Elder/Jones, James, Kent and Armstrong is 4 innit.

10. andytyke

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    on the pitch at any time, jones replaced elder

11. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We will never have that sadly because anyone any good will be sold for money to a bigger club and anyone rubbish will get let go too. Would love to have real long term players in our team like Bobby Hassell or at least to the level of a Jim O Brien or Stephen Foster who signed a few different contracts and quite a while with us. Now our very top players it's rare they sign a contract extension. They sign a contract when they join us and leave by the end of the original deal.

12. Exi

Exile Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    That's why I put Elder/Jones. I'll try and make it easier for you - the starting line-up included Elder (1), James (2), Kent (3) and Armstrong (4). Jones for Elder still makes 4.

13. andytyke

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    forgot about kent lol, still not half though

14. Chi

Chief Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I would add though that the loan players have been excellent, and that just probably adds to the frustration. Just wish we could sign them, but I know they are pretty much way out of our league.

I think it's commendable that the loan players we have had over the last couple of years have on the whole been brilliant. I can't knock their attitude, ability etc. I just find it very frustrating basically and agree that it's probably the way of the word now that we can't have a team full of Steve Fosters etc cos if they are good they move up, and if they are crap, we get rid. Too much money sloshing about!

15. YTB

YTBFC Guest

Is it grossly incompetent that some players wanted to leave, and didn't want to sign contracts? You can't force players to stay/sign. As for squandering millions, are you suggesting we could have got more money for these players had we flogged them sooner? If so, I disagree. The three who most recently left, did so whilst their value was at its highest. The one who left in August, you might have a point with. Perhaps he'd have grown in value by January (not doing too shabbily at the minute), but sometimes you take the risk. Can't get everything right. Not even Barca, Real, Man U or Bayern manage that. I think, so far anyway, we've replaced these players in one way or another, quite adequately. And in relation to the money we've recouped, I think we've spent very little in replacing them in comparison. We've used the loan market very well once again too.

As for results meaning nothing in relation to contracts, I disagree. The better our results, the bigger reputation our players get, other clubs fancy them etc, thus it affects our ability to retain such players, mainly because we're unwilling to pay the sort of money other clubs are. And rightly so. I like the fact we're trying to live within our means, it makes beating Villa and the like all the sweeter. But that's just my opinion, others are available.
    The idea that we should give these players longer initial deals is a good point though, although again it's a gamble isn't it? I do believe it's an area we could be smarter in though, contracts early doors. But I'm no expert, far from it. Don't think any of us on here are.

I don't agree we are sleepwalking into the same situation either, not as you describe it anyway. I'd like to think we'll improve as we all go along, but if in 12 months time these 'new heroes' move on as our 'old heroes' just did, we'll have continued to over-achieve and hopefully we'll replace them with more 'new heroes'. Keith Hill once called it recycling, layering etc. It's not changed, but I think we've better people driving the car than we did in 2011-13.

I know Hecky and Patrick believe we can improve, we can get better in many ways and that's the plan. But it will take time and a degree of faith. I think we've done incredibly well, incredibly quickly, which has been amazing to see but hindered us in a way too. Nothing is certain and football's very bloody hard to predict. But what I feel at the moment and what I'm experiencing as a Red is a really high point in our history, a period to cherish. Time shows us that these spells rarely last. Only so many can be successful each season, and we're up against it financially at this level which increases the workload. So I prefer to be thankful and proud whilst doing whatever possible to help improve things rather than looking for a negative that might not exist.

16. Skryptic

Skryptic Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We should have recruited more heavily in January. It was the perfect time, with the team practically safe from relegation, we could have got players in and not faced another massive rebuild job come this summer. How many of the squad will still be here come the first game of next season? We should have bullied clubs in the lower leagues, forced them to take money for the players they are going to lose this summer for nowt. I don't doubt Hecky has a list of targets, we should have gone after as many as possible to give him four months with them now and then a settled summer.

17. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It isn't half but 5 players in a game who are on loan isn't building for the future, it is a short term stop gap fuelled by panic signings as a result of poor management of players contracts and selling without planning

18. Get

Getrammellon Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Dint hear nubdy complaining abart loaners on 29th May when Fletcher banged one in at Wembley, oh and then Isgrove sealed promotion. Brownhill laiked oreyt an all.......

19. Gre

GreenyTyke Well-Known Member

Layabout
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Kent was scouted in full and has been on loan since July/August hardly a panic signing and the same with Armstrong, pretty sure there is an option to sign Jones perm in the summer, James is there to fill a gap because we don't have the funds to sign players like him on permanent deals and as long as he plays like he has been then I'm more than happy with him as stop gap. The only one who seems like a panic signing that may not work is Elder because he hasn't been great in the two games I've seen him in. There's a difference between being forced to sell our best players due to the machinations of agents and said players then we can hardly be blamed can we.

20. Gre

GreenyTyke Well-Known Member

Layabout
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    And what happens if the players we had recruited in Jan had been garbage and we'd have been stuck with players who are more expensive than they would be in 6 months sitting in a squad disrupting momentum. There's either side of the coin to a situation there's no good ifing and buying because that won't happen now it's in the past, we need to move on and like Hecky says learn from the mistakes and from the situations we have had to deal with