Speed Camera Van's

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Eaststand Lower, Mar 26, 2013.

1. Eaststand Lower

Eaststand Lower Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    He goes everywhere be Helicopter so he doesn't understand the road network

2. Eaststand Lower

Eaststand Lower Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Like I said in a earlier post, what's the difference between doing 35 in a 30 driving a council wagon and getting away with it and doing 35 in a 30 in my own car and getting a letter from South Yorkshires finest?

3. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Or to put it another way, he's a condescending tw@t.

4. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: You've got nothing to complain about

A speed camera should be installed outside the gate of every school in the country. The area around the school gates should also be no parking to stop the lazy parents who cause the biggest danger to their kids from creating such a dangerous situation.

Average speed camera's should be installed on roads where there have been a large number of accidents caused by speeding drivers (speeding as in going over the limit, not simply driving too fast for the conditions). This would stop people from slowing down and speeding up.

Mobile speed cameras should only be used where there is a problem in an area which needs addressing but a proper camera hasn't been erected yet. In other words they shouldn't drive around and park randomly trying to catch people, they' should be used as temporary stop gaps in dangerous places. A school gate has had to move or an accident has just occured due to speed but a permanent camera hasn't been fitted yet.

Camera's do have their place with safety, it just isnt (in my opinion) where they are at the moment.

5. bright red

bright red Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I'm sorry, I just don't get it. Ok, all but a tiny tiny percentage of drivers are responsible and do try to drive carefully including trying not to speed. Some people drink and drive, drive under the influence of drugs, use mobile phones/ do their make up etc. whilst driving etc. etc.. I just don't see what that has to do with trying to stop the otherwise responsible driver from speeding (especially if it is easy to do with gatso cameras).

I think your last comment is a telling one - the "slight drift over the speed limit". This is exactly what I got done for the other Saturday. It is especially galling when I have actually changed my behaviour considerably in 30 mph zones as a result of the speed awareness course I attended. I used to not be too worried about the slight drift up to say 33 or 34 mph. Since the course I realise above all that most accidents occur in 30 mph zones and that even a small increase in speed at that level can have a significant effect on injuries received by say a child running out unexpectedly. Another linked aspect is that accidents happen most often near to where you live. Partly this is because that is where you most often drive! but also because you know the roads so well and tend to just let your speed drift up a bit. I've decided that the worst place I can have an accident is close to home as it's most likely to involve someone I know so I am now ultra careful. Obviously I've still some way to go to purge myself of the need to "get there" a couple of minutes quicker but I'm working on it and don't mind the odd speed fine if it stops me doing serious damage to someone.

6. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I'm not trying to defend dangerous drivers or make excuses for drivers who could potentially kill through excessive speed. What I am saying is that most drivers are very responsible especially in 30mph zones and most notice and immediately correct their speed if they have drifted up to 33 / 34 mph (which is very easily done). Demonising these drivers by sending them on 'rehab' speed awareness courses, fining them and endorsing their licenses is more about 'revenue' than it is education in my opinion. Most responsible drivers know the consequences of their actions and will correct their speed immediately once they notice they are over the speed limit; I simply don't see how relieving them of hard earned cash helps to educate them further. I think [MENTION=6792]SuperTyke[/MENTION] made a great point about average speed cameras - I think these would be far more alligned to safety and less to revenue.

7. MarioKempes

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

Totally agree about schools and average speed cameras ST.

8. Che

Chef Tyke Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley
    I didn't read your earlier post mate but that arguments illogical. Both drivers should be reprimanded. The speed limit is there for a reason. Speed kills.

9. Nor

NorthernDreamer Well-Known Member

Retired
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd watch out for the incorrect use of the apostrophe vans - you'll be banned for life! ;)

10. BFC Dave

BFC Dave Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    XenForo - Xenith Reds
    There's camera's in super tyke's post as well.