Fortes having a medical today

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Tyke_80, Jul 23, 2015.

1. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Seem to remember us signing an injury plagued player a while back, who had scored a grand total of five goals in his entire career before getting a 12 month contract. The usual suspects were up in arms over it, claiming it showed what a joke of a club we were. He'd had trials at various clubs and none of them had offered him a contract, proving what a poor decision Barnsley had made. The fact that said player then struggled with his form for the first two or three months simply confirmed to them they were correct with their assessment. However, once he started scoring & playing very well, the same 'experts' claimed it was obvious to them and anyone who knew anything about football Vaz Te was a class player (it couldn't possibly be allowed to actually praise Keith Hill for bringing him to the club!:D). Ricardo hit a purple patch with us far exceeding anything he'd produced prior to joining Barnsley, which helped him get a move to West Ham, where his form & goalscoring continued. Naturally, those who criticised the club for giving Vaz Te a contract in the first place were then up in arms for allowing him to join West Ham for such a paltry fee.
    I'm not for one second trying to claim Forte is anywhere near the quality of Vaz Te. But, if he does sign, perhaps folk could learn from mistakes made in the past, give the lad a chance, not prejudge and write him off before he's even pulled a shirt on.

2. onlyonesteviecooper

onlyonesteviecooper Well-Known Member

FireFighter
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    f@$k it. After weighing it up, i reckon it will be a good signing. cheap enough, pace, and i reckon he will notch a few times. F@&k it, infact im gonna say he will get more than 10, and for the brass that would represent value.There you go, im optimistic, and while im on one, i think were gonna do quite well this season, another winger and we will win more than we lose. Come on lads, lets get behind em, this league is proper bungles finger, so lets f@&kin have it!!

3. Tyke_80

Tyke_80 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It's the BBS, where everyone gets plagued by the moaners.

4. Durkar Red

Durkar Red Well-Known Member

Exorcist
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's the Keith Hill who told Vaz Te to find another club in the October

5. tho

thomasevans Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Will fit perfectly into the five-man midfield with two wide players. He should score goals from that position. I hope that he will be well-equipped to carry out the necessary defensive duties as well and plays a few games, at least until we use the Stones windfall to get JOS back permanently!!!

6. JLWBigLil

JLWBigLil Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yup, the very same and the experts agreed with him.:)

7. ronnieGlavinsB@stardSon

ronnieGlavinsB@stardSon Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Re: It wouldn't surprise me if the Johnson argument rumour stems from this signing

?

I thought he was '40'!

Sorry, I'll get me coit :)

8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Stuff I know about Jonathan Forte:

His name. He's played for a number of local clubs so I'm used to hearing him mentioned on Radio Sheffield, although I've no recollection of ever seeing him play, but I must have done as he's been about a bit.

His stats. I looked them up yesterday. He's not the goalscorer that some claimed, but that doesn't reflect how good a footballer he is.

That's it really, which, to be fair, is more than I know about most players we sign. As such, I've no opinion on him at all, I'll tell you at Christmas. Good luck to him if he signs. I'll not miss him if he doesn't.

9. RichK

RichK Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Christian name test - no modern names and definitely no surnames as Christian names. Jonathan should be fine on this.

10. Dub

Dubai Tyke New Member

strange that every club he played for apart from Oldham put him out on loan, that's not a great sign, also he turns 29 on Saturday. Don't think we should be going for someone of his age who his parent clubs have mostly used him as a loanee. Not impressed if it's true.

11. The Ted

The Ted Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    BBS 'We need 10 players immediately'

Club 'we'll sign forte'

BBS 'not that player. He's s**t'

Get the feeling reading this forum that some supporters maybe setting their expectations a little too high. Simple fact of the matter is we're not going to get Championship quality players whilst in this division on permenant deals unless they are a) too old which the club don't want or b) Very young. Then people moan about the youth of our team.

We sign loan players. Supporters don't want those. So we are left fishing in a pool of players that are either in the same division as us or lower down the pyramid. Again fans don't want this. As they are unproven at this level.

What I'd like to know is, realistically who on earth do people want us to sign? From where? That aren't loans, that don't cost over say 500k, are under 30 and know where the net is.

12. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I thought the strategy of looking at the division below and taking on players to improve and develop such as Scowen, Horihane and Winnall was a great one and one to be pursued rather than abandoned.

13. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I don't want Championship players. I don't particularly want Forte. As @Jimmy cricket mentioned above I would be happy with signing young quality players

14. RichK

RichK Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That's exactly how I see it. Any player that gets mentioned gets a round of 'hope not' or 'no thanks', same people then moan about lack of signings.

Been **** on here last couple of months.

15. The Ted

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How many are out there that won't cost us an absolute premium? We were going to pay 400k for the lad from Carlisle that Hudds then picked up.

We're not the only clubs looking at these types of players. A lot of others will be doing exactly the same thing. That will mean we'll get some ala Mawson but not others like Dempsey. We simply need to have more than one recruiting strategy.

16. Bri

Brian Mahoneys Waist Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    How longs 28 been old?

17. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: It wouldn't surprise me if the Johnson argument rumour stems from this signing

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=37805&season_id=144

Would then only need Wednesday and Chesterfield to complete the Radio Sheffield six team region. Looks like Chris O Grady has some competition for that. 2 goals in 18 going way back to the start of last December :(

18. Dub

Dubai Tyke New Member

I didn't say he was old, in my opinion I don't think we should be shelling out 6 figure numbers for someone who has been a journeyman practically all of his career who would probably have a limited future with us. However LJ may be of the opinion that we use him to get out of this league in the short term. Anyway all this is speculation at this time.

19. Jimmy viz

Jimmy viz Well-Known Member

Ballet Dancer
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    We managed it with the successful players we signed last season without paying over the odds and while I accept we had a manager with a more experience in this area feel that we could do so again. Our disappointing signings over several years and managers have been the journeyman pro. Though I will support any player we sign **** me I had nice words to say about Brek Shea.

20. The Ted

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Now that is support. Brek Shea. Even his name brings me out in hives.

You are right mind. We did manage it last season but the only slight difference is the amount we are trying to bring in. Unfortunately they won't all meet that criteria. I agree with what your saying for what it's worth in the main.