Advice required please....

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Googs, May 13, 2016.

1. Goo

Googs Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Since we moved into the house we moved into a few years ago, we've been spending money doing it up sporadically, as and when we could afford it. Outside, we were renewing all the fencing, replacing all the old rotten wooden fencing with concrete posts, gravel boards and wooden 'slotted' fencing. We started at the bottom of the garden, working our way around, bit by bit. Now we have reached the side of the house, and only five more to fit. Whilst drilling down through old concrete and tough debris (which we've had to do all the way around), we heard a bang, and clipped the electricity supply to our home. I called Northern Powergrid to report it, and they sent a couple of blokes around with a few hours. A couple of hours later, we were back on. The guys were excellent though and fully sympathised with us, as the cables were around 250mm below the surface. Now, I know unfortunately there is no legal depth they should be, but it is recommended they should be at least 450mm below the surface. The guys that came said that if I were to receive a bill for the work, then they believed I ought to contest it due to the shallow depth.

Now, I was probably stupid for not getting plans to see where the cables were located, it just never dawned on me having started at the bottom, So I don't need to hear how stoopid I am, but I do want some advice.

I have now received a bill through in excess of £300. I already emailed back to say I would be contesting it, stating aforementioned depth issues, yet they got back saying they understand, blah blah blah, but unfortunately the bill still stands as we caused damage to our property.

So, do I pay the bill? Do I check my insurance documents to see if i'm covered for this type of incident? Do I take it further?

Any advice and I would be duly grateful to my fellow BBS'ers :confused:

2. Men

Menai Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Take it further mate. The fact that they workmen told you to appeal due based on that fact is reason enough.

3. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Appeal because it's not your fault they weren't the recommend depth. Or you could just back the (famous last words) "dead cert" Russia to win Eurovision tomorrow night to pay the bill :D

4. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Appeal. Focus on the depth. Ask them the depth they install at and suggest that the installation may need amending.

5. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    This is on the HSE website...

There are no statutory depths for underground cables, as ground levels may have changed since the original installation and without the knowledge of the cable owner. However, there is guidance available from HSE (see: Excavation and underground services). Guidance is also available from the street works industry's representative body (NJUG) link to external website and the Energy Networks Association (ENA) link to external website. The ENA also provide contact information for anyone planning excavation work, see: Dial before you dig link to external website.

Link here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/electricity/faq-esqcr.htm#legislation

I think I'd contest it but more out of hope than expectation. Good luck.

6. icer

icer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Play the H&S card

7. Jack Tatty

Jack Tatty Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    The wires were not segregated appropriately. Send the bill to SYP.

8. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I believe it would be Northern Powergrid who would have to take it further, rather than you. You would refuse to pay the bill, they would first issue you with a reminder and then either take you to the small claims court or sell the debt to a debt recovery company. Or they may think it's not worth the hassle and write it off.

If you think you're right and you want to stand your ground then put this in writing to Northern Powergrid. Tell them you won't be paying the bill and explain why you don't believe you have to.

The question you've got to ask yourself is: can I and do I want to deal with the stress that refusing to pay this bill will undoubtedly cause me? Only you can answer that.

9. roy

royston tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Or you should have just left the fence in its original state. Just like the west stand. Haha

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

10. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They won't sell it on.
    Utility debt is toxic at best. Very little return.
    Highly unlikely they would issue as well. It would be a defended case so there would be cost issues and if they did win a lack of enforcement options.
    personally I'd just kick the issue up the management chain and keep ranting. Get a complaint in with the Ceos office.

11. Xer

Xerxes Well-Known Member

Ex-oil Company Project Director
    West Riding of Yorkshire or St Selve, France
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Live cable should have the appropriate cover and have a protective tile placed over it. As it appears you had neither, you have a good case.

12. Carlycu5tard

Carlycu5tard Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)

I think what you are saying is should you pay for something you did - or should the rest of us through higher bills,etc.

I've done some thinking - and after considering PPI - endowment mortgages and a few other recent court decisions this cannot possibly be your fault.

You are probably due millions in compensation from either the previous home owner, the estate agent, mortgage company, electricity board or even the fencing company

You ought to phone one of those nice helpful lawyer chaps to estimate how much you are due.

13. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

With Jay on this.

They want the money, so the ball is in their court. Advise them that you do not consider that you are contractually liable for the work - you raised it as a safety issue with their cables. Further, any action via the County Court will be robustly defended. Should be end of story.

14. Goo

Googs Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thanks very much everyone, this has given me some advice to chew over. I appreciate your time in replying.

15. Sopwith Camel

Sopwith Camel Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    That is what happens now days.. TBH i'd pay up now while its still £300, it was your mistake

16. DEETEE

DEETEE Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    No they won't.

It's proper toxic debt.

No company in their right mind would purchase it.

17. Ors

Orsen Kaht Guest

It's not a debt if it isn't proved to be lawfully owing, so I wouldn't be worried about that aspect.

18. Archey

Archey Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    Shabby Chic is all the rage these days

19. Goo

Googs Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    UPDATE (for anyone interested)

This morning I emailed them back to say I wanted the email address and name of the CEO and would prefer to take it higher. Mid afternoon, I receive a phone call from the manager of the girl I was in contact with via email. Very pleasant and seemed intent on striking some sort of deal. She said she would have been happy to have given me his name and email, but preferred to try and sort something out between us. This struck me as though she really didn't want it going any higher and possibly felt I might actually get it quashed, but I may be wrong. To cut a long story short, we did strike a deal. Although I'm not 'happy' with the outcome, I'm content, in comparison to what could have been. Some will say I bottled it, yet some might say I've done pretty well instead of laying back and accepting my fate. The original bill was for a bit over £330, but after a 10 minute chat the golden figure we settled on was £180. As I say, I'm not happy, but both parties are content.
    [MENTION=6655]Jay[/MENTION] hit the nail on the head though when he said 'The question you've got to ask yourself is: can I and do I want to deal with the stress that refusing to pay this bill will undoubtedly cause me? Only you can answer that.' Well, that is why I decided to take this deal. I believe that there was a good chance I could have got away with it, but the stress it might have caused (and was already beginning to) simply wasn't worth it to my wife and I.

I want to thank you all again for your input, I honestly appreciate all the great advice you gave (well, most of you :p )

20. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    After reading some of the details on the HSE website I think you're probably doing the right thing. Like you say, you may have got a better offer but you might not have.