Charity Walk to Huddersfield in aid of Disability Sport Yorkshire

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by fired, Jul 26, 2016.

1. fir

fired Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Hi All,

Just to say, this is definitely happening. Sat 20th August.

Details need to be finalised, but to answer a few questions:

* If you want to register for the walk, e mail me at fhall@disabilitysportyorkshire.org
    * Route - still being discussed but approximate miles = 17 -18.
    * Train home
    * Set off time to be confirmed but likely to be about 6.30am/ 7am ish from Oakwell.
    * Supporters Trust helping with arrangements
    * Disability Sport Yorkshire is a regional charity which needs to fundraise to keep its activities going. DSY promotes sports for people who have a disability. http://disabilitysportyorkshire.org/barnsley-fans-charity-walk-d-s-y/. DSY has run numerous projects benefitting people from Barnsley and Kirklees.
    * Walkers take part at their own risk.
    * Walkers must buy their own match tickets
    * 1 or 2 pubs for refreshments en route.
    * Route www.wildyorkshireway.co.uk/huddersfield.php.
    * Around 15 people registered so far, room for more,
    * Just Giving details will be released in next few days.

Please support in any way you can. Anyone who wants to join please e mail fhall@disabilitysportyorkshire.org
    Thanks.

2. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    how long do you expect it to take to complete the walk ?

3. Sta

Stahlrost Well-Known Member

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I'm helping out with the route. Once complete I'll put a link to an interactive map on here with distances and ups/downs. And I promise not to talk about cricket.

4. fir

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
  5. Andy Mac

Andy Mac Well-Known Member

IT
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Does that come out at Clayton West? Hell of a hike up to Shelley (via Scissett ?)

Excuse my lack of Barnsley-ish geography knowledge :)

6. fir

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    With any luck [MENTION=6927]Stahlrost[/MENTION] will put up a pic of the proposed route.

Whichever way we go, it's going to be hilly. We're trying to get the best balance between a route that has footpaths, and is safe, and a route that takes in a pub or two.

7. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    I've been too busy playing BBS cricket today but I'll sort it out tomorrow.

8. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Proposed Route

As promised I've now done an interactive map showing the proposed route to Huddersfield, starting at Oakwell and finishing at the stadium. For keen and fit walkers (or thirsty walkers) there's a small diversion at the end to the Rat and Ratchet pub. The route then continues from there to the ground, but I suspect that taxis may be required from there on.

I've put the route on my own walking website here http://www.wildyorkshireway.co.uk/huddersfield.php. You're obviously welcome to browse around my site if you wish, but it's not meant to be a plug, it's just easier than setting up a whole new site for one walk. You can zoom and pan around on the map to see the entire route. I'm working on a live update feature which will show where we are on the day, including which pub we're in, who's dropped out and how many ambulances we've called. It will take a few days to finish that off but I'm hoping it will be working on the day.

I know everyone will have their own ideas about the best route, but please remember it's not possible to please everybody. The route as it stands is about 18 miles long, excluding the pub diversion, and has about 350m of ascent and descent. That's a hard walk on roads, so the people doing it will deserve a free pint or two when they get to the end. Hint hint.

Everything is subject to change at this stage, especially as we survey the route by car to check on safety implications, footpaths etc.

9. fir

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: Proposed Route

Thanks for organising!

10. fir

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Updated Arrangements

Why Walk to Huddersfield?
    This Charity walk, has been arrange to raise much-needed funds for Disability Sport Yorkshire.
    D.S.Y. promotes sporting opportunities for people with a disability who live in Yorkshire and Humber.
    We are raising funds to support the running costs of the organisation, so that our many projects across the region can continue. People from Barnsley and Kirklees are direct beneficiaries of our work.
    The BFCST has a fantastic previous involvement in Charity walks, and we feel privileged to receive their backing .
    Aside from that, we hope you will have an enjoyable and memorable walk!

Meet Up and Set Off (subject to change)
    Meet at Oakwell, outside the Club Shop at 5.50am, for photos. Set off at 6am prompt.
    Route (subject to change)
    The route is here www.wildyorkshireway.co.uk/huddersfield.php .
    We will make planned stop(s) at pubs for food / drinks. We welcome walkers to join the route at any stage.
    Match Tickets
    You will need to organise your own match tickets

What to bring / What to wear
    Only bring what you are able to carry yourself. There is no recovery vehicle, (at the time of writing), therefore anyone who is unable to complete the walk will be reliant on local bus service or taxi. Please note, road walking is notoriously hard on the feet, so be prepared with blister plasters and gel insoles. The route will pass shops/ garages, where you will be able to buy snacks/ drinks, but please bring water for the rural parts of the route!
    Route Tracking
    We are hoping to announce a route tracking facility, so that friends can keep up to date with our progress. By all means keep people updated via social media. Please use #dsysponsoredwalk
    Completion of Route
    At the time of writing I am trying to arrange a lap of honour at the stadium, for any walkers who wish to take part. We will also have a group photo at the ground on arrival.
    Getting Home
    For those who wish to join us, we will be having a post match drink in The Head of Steam, at Huddersfield Railway Station, before heading home on the train.
    Note
    We will do everything to ensure that the route we take is safe. Participants take part at their own risk.
    Promotion
    Please help promote our cause on social media, inviting friends, and by collecting sponsorship.
    @DisSport Yorks on Twitter
    Disability Sport Yorkshire on Facebook
    www.disabilitysportyorkshire.org
    Please encourage people to make donations via our Virgin Giving Page
    https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fu...ionForCharityDisplay.action?charityId=1011480
    Event Details
    http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/cha...Id=25985&charityId=1011480&invocation=evt0050

Finally, for now, thank you on behalf of Disability Sport Yorkshire for taking part. Your support is invaluable. I will be in touch again with final arrangements, nearer the time.

Fiona Hall fhall@disabilitysportyorkshire.org
    FDSO Ltd T/as Disability Sport Yorkshire
    Denhale Active Recreation Centre
    Denhale Avenue
    Wakefield
    West Yorkshire WF2 9EF

Mobile: 07341 265319 Tel: 01924 372382 disabilitysportyorkshire.co.uk
    Registered Number 7832841 Charity Number 1145525

11. dreamboy3000

dreamboy3000 Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Aye it would be easier ending up at Hoylandswaine then pretty much all downhill to Huddersfield.

12. Sta

None
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    You'd be surprised. I looked at that route, but it actually has roughly the same amount of ascent at about 370m, because it goes higher. It's also 20 miles long, 2 miles more than the 18 miles on the proposed route, because it initially sets off in the wrong direction. However, you are correct in saying you get most of the climbing out of the way early on.

On balance, I decided that the shorter route would be better for most people.

13. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    how many have your got signed up to do the walk

14. fir

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Around 20. Five lasses. Plus those who jump on at Huddersfield. Room for more. :)

15. andytyke

andytyke Administrator Staff Member Admin

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Just asked kids if they fancy doing this. We may join in

16. Con

Connor Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Thinking of joining your too

17. fir

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    @andy tyke [MENTION=56162]Connor[/MENTION] please do join the walk. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. The more the merrier! PM your e mail address and I'll send you confirmation details once I get back from my hols.

18. fir

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Update 8th August

Thanks to everyone who has signed up for the walk. We have around 25 walkers, plus whoever jumps on en route. Still room for more if there are any takers. E mail me fhall@disabilitysportyorkshire.org

To facilitate the possibility of "joining in" at any stage, Stahlrost has kindly come up with a tracking ap, which means that people can log onto a website to see where the walkers are at any given time. More details to follow.

We're setting off at 6am, with refreshment stops planned.

Now the request for help. We understand that the train services may be replaced by bus services on that day. We have walkers from Barnsley, Sheffield and Bradford. If anyone is able to offer a lift home to any of the walkers, please get in touch. Similarly, if anyone is driving who is able to link up with the group for the last 3 or so miles, dropping off the collection buckets, that would be a massive help. fhall@disabilitysportyorkshire.org

Also, please help promote this (even if you are not walking). #dsywalk
    @DisSportYorks
    Facebook - Disability Sport Yorkshire
    Donations here http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/char...cation=evt0050

Thanks to all for your support so far.

19. fir

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Update 15th Aug

Hi All,
    Apologies for another thread but I do need to ensure everyone gets the updated info. To donate:-
    http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fun...serProfilePage.action?userUrl=dsy&isTeam=true

We're setting off at 5.30am, so walkers should meet just before 5,30am at the Club Shop at Oakwell. Quick photo and we'll be off. If you're late, you'll have to catch up!

Route and Route Tracking
    Stahlrost has kindly hosted the route, and designed a tracking facility on his website. Please visit:
    http://www.wildyorkshireway.co.uk/track.php To enable friends to track the progress of the walk
    on the right, under "Add a predefined route to the map" select the Oakwell to Huddersfield route.
    Leave the other entries blank and click "Display Map"
    On the right, under "Track a friend's progress" select "Stahlrost: Oakwell to Huddersfield 20-08-2016
    Enter the password "bbs" - make sure it's all lower case. This should give a real-time display of where
    the walkers are. This should also help should anyone wish to join the route at a later stage.

Walkers will need to organise your own match tickets – not many left so be quick!

We have arranged a stop off at The Foxglove Pub, in Kirkburton, anyone who wishes to can join the route here. Use the ap to see what time we are due to arrive.

Completion of Route

Anyone wishing to join the "walk in" should meet us at The Aspley Marina, at 2pm

We still need lifts home for walkers. If you can offer a lift back to Barnsley, please PM me. It would be a shame to have to organise taxis when folks have empty seats in cars.

Promotion

Please help promote our cause on social media, inviting friends, and by collecting sponsorship.
    @DisSport Yorks on Twitter Please use #dsywalk
    Disability Sport Yorkshire on Facebook. There is a video on there which shows what we do.

Thanks everyone. You Reds!