Town centre vandalism getting out of control?

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Gordon Owen, Nov 10, 2016.

1. Mis

MiserablePontyEnder Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: You make a lot of good points there

How much does a bullet cost???

2. Sup

SuperTyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Locking paedophiles up in prison just takes them out of circulation for a while.
    Locking murderers up does.
    Locking burglars up does

The list goes on.

You know what really pisses me off? If I want to learn a trade it will cost me an absolute bloody fortune, in fact some trades are near enough impossible to train for after you leave college age yet a piece f scum criminal can get a nice new career sorted out for them while in prison. I mean imagine the poor little darling having to come out without knowing he to be a joiner or gas fitter. Whatever would they do?

It's a sad state of affairs when we are willing to offer more opportunities for betterment to criminals than we are to honest hard working members of society

3. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Why are drugs in prisons unrealistic? The only reason that is true is because little has been done to actually stop it.
    At one point anybody could take a bomb on a plane because security was so bad, now it is practically impossible to do. If they wanted to remove drugs from prisons they could.

Physical cntact between prisoners and visitors should be banned in ALL circumstances. If the visitors can never touch the prisoners then they can't pass drugs to them.

4. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    There'll always be a way. People are flying them in using drones.

5. man

mansfield_red Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    They are people who are harder to rehabilitate and have committed much more serious crimes. It's a lot easier to justify long custodial sentences.

You're right, educating someone in a trade does cost a bloody fortune, but so does repeatedly arresting, trying and incarcerating someone.

6. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Then you put a net or even perspex sheet OVER the exercise yard rather than just a fence around it. It's quite sad when b&q at stairfoot had better security around its garden centre than Wakefield prison has around its exercise yard.

7. Brush

Brush Well-Known Member

Ex-IT professional
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: You make a lot of good points there

Cheaper to use Zyclon B gas surely? You'd have had a great job in Auchwitz.....

8. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    So you think it's fair to give a criminal a trade and ready made career whilst the hardworking honest people stay at the bottom?

If it costs a lot to keep arresting and trying them then lock the scum up for longer. Much longer and give them the bare minimum whilst inside. **** sky TV off, **** the games room off. Give the scum a cell (not a suite) with a bed and shitter in it. Give them toast for breakfast, sandwiches at lunch and a school dinner in the evening. All to be paid for by themselves by working in the prison to earn their keep.

9. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I think his point is when we've all got a shared objective of reducing crime rehabilitation is proven to be the most effective approach and has the added benefit of being cheaper.

The lack of further education is an entirely valid, but completely unrelated, point.

10. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It isn't really unrelated because we are spending ding money training the criminals a trade which denies hardworjing people the chance to get that same trade. They shouldn't be at the front of the queue, simple as that.

11. ark

ark104 (v2) Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    But if you don't spend money on rehabilitation you spend even more money on the more costly approach of locking people up.

12. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    It isn't just about the money, it's about treating criminals better than honest people. It only costs so much to keep people in prison because of the relative luxury they are kept in. If they were given the basics and only the basics then the costs would lower significantly.

When I was at school I had to pay for my dinner. That's an 11 year old lad having to pay for his dinner (I know my parents paid it) but a 30 year old career criminal gets his paid for in prison. Why?

13. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I agree with some of the elements that you have posted [MENTION=6792]SuperTyke[/MENTION]. Criminals should earn money in prison which pays for their food and upkeep. Of course you could have the problem of someone refusing to work but surely you can't actually let them starve to death (even though it sounds fair I doubt it would ever be allowed).

However, the whole thing about not educating them etc. I feel differently about. There are definitely different levels and types of criminals, the people who have stolen something to live (food, clothes etc.), because they really did have such a bad start to life that they've never really been aware of an alternative for instance, could really benefit from being shown a different way to live and being able to better themselves. The hard line you are taking seems very appropriate to murderers and people who knowingly swindle vulnerable people for example. I'm not sure how you would decide which criminals are worthy of second chances and betterment and who isn't but I don't think everyone deserves to be given up on when there are some people who could definitely change if given a chance. The issue of hardworking non-criminals not getting a chance is a completely different and separate issue which needs addressing (and may help prevent a lot of the crimes in the first place).

14. Sup

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd have absolutely no problem with people in prison being given basic education to get them up to GCSE standard like we should all be. It's just education beyond that which I have a problem with because that actually puts them ahead of other people.

15. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I'd agree with that!

16. Mrs

MrsHallsToffeerolls Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Can see a see a rise in the sale of Rita Hayworth posters in thy slammer ST.