£36 At Elland Road

Discussion in 'Bulletin Board ARCHIVE' started by Conan Troutman, Dec 8, 2013.

1. JamDrop

JamDrop Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I can't decide, I live here and my dad used to be a Leeds season ticket holder for many a year so we always go to the Leeds matches (home and away) together, it's tradition. Not really sure I want to pay that though, and I'm pretty sure my dad won't want to :(

2. sadbrewer

sadbrewer Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Not me ..lately there's a group of five of us going together,if it was realistically priced they be getting £100 plus from us,at the £36 price they'll get nothing...seems like very poor business on Leeds United's part

3. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I completely agree but it won't ever happen. For it to work you'd need all fans, of all clubs to stick together but as you can see just from this thread there are fans who are happy to pay.

4. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Yep, they moan and whinge about BFC pricing and only attend a handful of games as a result yet they see Leeds as a one off so don't give paying £36 into the Elland Road coffers a second thought.

5. Journo Tyke

Journo Tyke Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley Dark
    Don't Leeds have ticket scanners on gates?

If so, get a kids ticket...

6. John Peachy

John Peachy Well-Known Member

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    it is excellent - even better than the duchess ever was

there are lots of good things about leeds to be fair, but not the football team, or many of its supporters

i will be there, as i have a local gig that night & with train not a lot more than oak well

also we have a good record all bell end rd & i can go around smiling for a week or so

7. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I like the brudenell social club but I don't know if I'd go that far. The Duchess of York was iconic. Can't believe they ever allowed it to close. Saw Pulp there just a few months before they went stratospheric. Next time I saw them was at the MEN arena.

Went to see a band at a new venue in Leeds recently, The Belgrave Music Hall. That place is quality.

8. woolley mammoth

woolley mammoth Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Re: Don't Leeds have ticket scanners on gates?

Yes they do but stewards wait at the other end.

They have a traffic light system to let the stewards know so once you've got inside a red light comes on ( if youve used a child or OAP ticket) and then you get thrown out.
    I saw this happen last year and people had to then pay full price to get back in.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  9. Marc

Marc Administrator Staff Member Admin

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Never went to the duchess. Tend not to go anywhere else really, other than the brude. Odd gig at the Harley in Sheffield

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. NIGHTMARE

NIGHTMARE Banned Idiot

Re: Don't Leeds have ticket scanners on gates?

£36 match ticket £12.60 for train ticket = £48.60p it's just the average cost for an away game in this league really

11. John Peachy

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    When I used to play in a band I played the Duchess about 20 times. Supported a few reasonably big bands, like Dodgy,
    Pele, Longpigs there.

Saw some great gigs there, including Oasis, PJ Harvey, Supergrass, Firehose, the Fall, Nova Mob, etc

Like the Brude better to be honest. Better sound, cheap (and good beer) & great atmosphere.
    I knew John Keenan well who owned & then managed the Duchess after he went bust.
    It was certainly a sad day when the venue closed & became Hugo Boss - said a lot about
    Leeds City Council.

Fortunately new promoters took up the reigns a few years after it shut & there are a bunch of great
    venues around.

Haven't been to the Belgrave yet, but know the people involved with it. Will get down there soon.

12. Jay

Jay Well-Known Member

Style:
    Barnsley
    I went to the P J Harvey gig. Well, one of them. She played there twice, 91 and 92. Not sure which one I went to, think it was 92.

The Brudenell is the better venue. The room was built with entertainment in my mind. Turns and cabaret acts probably as it's an old fashioned club, but that's equally as good for the live rock bands they host now. The Duchess was just a pub really, a small one at that.

But The Burdenell is a pain in the arse to get to, unless you drive there or you're unlucky enough to live in Hyde Park (apologies if you do, I'm not being serious, I live in Ward Green for christ sake).

The Duchess just had an air of something special about it, all that history. And you'd be stood in a room not much bigger than your living room, with Jarvis Cocker just a few yards away from you and you'd think, how the hell am I seeing such a quality band in the room the size of this? It were brilliant.

13. John Peachy

The littlest hobo
    Home Page:
    Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    I live in Headingley. Only 10 mins walk from my flat, which is handy.

I know what you're saying, but the mass of gig goers in Leeds live around those areas & as its not town centre it doesn't have the massive rent & rates bill.
    (I had a record shop in leeds for 10 yrs & it was crippling).

14. tik

tikey Active Member

Style:
    Barnsley (full width)
    Understand but are we missing the point. Until we all stand together and boycott them they will continue. Next year it will be £40 providing we are playing them of course.

On another note where did you get yourToby done Harrogate as it looks one of the better ones.